CSN Login
Members Online: 18

You are here

Can metastatic cancer be cured?

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

My doctor said there is a small chance of metastatic cancer being cured, he didn't give the number, but said he had one patient who had a "complete response", so I realize it must be a very small persentage.

Then I posted a thread in Metastatic Cancer Forum and received a reply from a lady: "Metastatic cancer is VERY RARELY cured - it is often kept in check for months - or a year or so - but then the drug stops working because those cancer cells mutate much like all the bacteria and bugs in our world - smarter than we are." (see my thread "Metastatic colon cancer" for her reply). If this is true, it's pretty depressing.

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

I just re-read my post, it sounded too depressing. I am not that depressed, I mean if it's true, it's not that great of a news, but I am not giving up or anything. Just want to know what am I up against, that's all. Generally, I am pretty hopeful and cheerful, I appreciate life so much now, but don't want to be too gullible, you know.

KrisS
Posts: 232
Joined: Apr 2003

It is true that metastatic cancer is rarely cured, and I guess that being true, I have tried to make preparations for that possibility for myself a while ago. But I haven't given up on enjoying life, having fun, trying to be useful, or fighting. Rare is not never. Even if the percentage of cure is 0.1%, it is 100 percent for that person, and I am going to try to be one of those by trying to take as good care of myself as possible to hold out for some of the newer treatments that might increase the chance of sucess.

Here is hoping that something like that happens soon for all of us.

Kris

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

I am sure people with faith, cheerful attitudes and their sleeves rolled up and going after the cures are the ones that make up the whatever small percentage that gets cured! So let's be the ones!!!! Tina

2bhealed's picture
2bhealed
Posts: 2085
Joined: Dec 2001

YOU GO GIRL!!

peace, em

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

God's speed to us all. :)))

cheer3's picture
cheer3
Posts: 106
Joined: May 2003

Hello Kris, I love your attitude.We must be positive and pray for something new to come our way.
I too have metastatic colon cancer to the liver.I have gone with the agressive treatment.I have had colectomy, liver resection, and on two types of chemo for one year. I tested free in August. I will be re tested in Jan. The oncologist surgeon who did my liver resection said I had a 60% chance it would be back in two years.I am going with the 40% chance it won't. I am eating and doing everything for my liver. We must not let anyone take our hope from us. Stay strong and keep smiling. Jean

boosh
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 2004

Hi, I am brand new to the network and am a metastatic colon cancer patient since September,2002. My surgeon removed the ascending colon and ablated the two small tumors in the liver. The chemo treatment was very aggressive from 9/02 thru 10/03 including oxilaplatin and 5FU on a pump for 2 days each visit. The surgeon is very optimistic as my CEA count has gone from 9.9 down to 2.4 while off chemo. He said if it returns they have all the tools to get rid of it, but HE REALLY DOESN'T THINK IT WILL RETURN. How about that for the right attitude. Would appreciate hearing from anyone regarding proper nutrition. We just read in the newspaper that sugar should be avoided. Good luck and may God bless you. Boosh

theresejo
Posts: 2
Joined: Feb 2004

don't give up - - my oncologist says that he has been treating a woman w/metastatic breast cancer for 10 years

swmets
Posts: 5
Joined: Feb 2004

My doctor has a record mets patient - 40 years!! I almost didn't believe him, but I trust him. Although I am now 52 & fighting my mets for 3 years - I told him I will beat that record. He just laughed a little & said - possible! Never give up!

Anonymous user (not verified)

Hi. I haven't posted in a while but wanted to share some new news regarding my husband Bert with the group this evening. Before posting, I read some recent posts and yours prompted me to respond. While I don't have an exact answer for you, I can share with you that I personally know two people who have metastesized colon cancer...one has been around over 8 years and doing quite nicely, the other about 4 years and hanging in there. I too have heard that some can be cured..the number I was told is about 4%...hey, but somebody has to make up that 4% and why can't it be you? Right!

Hang in there and pursue this son-of-a-***** with a vengence.

My best wishes and prayers.

Monika

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

Monika, it's funny, when I read 4%, my reaction was WOW that's more than I thought! I think I imagined it to be like 1% or something. A week ago I was wondering if 40% response was worth trying Oxilaplatin. :D Hey, 4% of a 100,000 is 4,000!

Anonymous user (not verified)

Yup, that's a lot of people. No doubt, attitude can't hurt the survival chances any and it certainly can't hurt living with the disease....which many stage iv's and metastatic cancer patients do. My mom has inoperable lung cancer which did metastesize to one lousy node below her left collar bone....hence, inoperable and survival (1 to 2 years, not that great,5 year chances even worse). When the news first came down the pipe, I thought I would loose her in no time. Well, she's pushing for those 5 years, if not longer, all the way, and she was diagnosed a year and four months ago. She had her last first line treatment in May 2003, and has, so far (pray to God) no evidence of disease. She enjoys her life to the fullest (just got back from 8 weeks in Europe) and sets one hell of an example for my husband Bert, diagnosed stage III colon cancer July of this year. I know she is by no means cured and her chances are slim, but she's going for them...not giving up and if this horrible desease should get her in the end, it only got her body...never, ever her spirit. Cheers my friend!

Monika

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

Monika, if there is no evidence of the disease, why are her chances slim? You mean it will come back again, that's why?

Anonymous user (not verified)

Yes Aleftina, that's what the odds are...that it will come back. My mom is not cured...there is no cure for her...just what they term in clinical remission. Now, clinical remission, and the management of it, can last a long time or it can be brief. Needless to say, I am hoping it's a long time, just as I hope there won't be a recurrence for Bert and his colon cancer. He's stage III and is considered still curable...they could operate on him and feel that they got everything...no mets. Mom is stage IIIC Lung Cancer...not operable, and therefore, not likely to ever be cured. Lung cancer likes to come back in the brain or bone...so she is constantly being scanned in those areas.

Fondly,
Monika

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

That's a bumber! We really do need better treatment for cancer. One must have something to hope for. :(

Anonymous user (not verified)

I second that...and third it and fourth it. Not much has been done with lung cancer because it's so deadly. Oh yes, they've made some advancement, but not much. More research dollars are spent on other areas of cancer...which is good because eventually, somehow, someway, I think they are all connected. So whose to say that when the find a total cure for colon or breast cancer, that it can't also be very beneficial to lung cancer. I just pray an awful lot and it does give me some comfort. And then there's this board..a great place to be, if you gotta be here.

Hugs,
Monika

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

Praying is great, sustains me also. Did you/your mom use any of the prayer services around? I called Unity prayer from the hospital the night before surgery and the surgeon canged his mind 2 hours before surgery to cut me open and go instead with laproscopy to see what's in there, I consider it a miracle, I probably would be stuck in bed with a 10 inch scar if they opened me up just to see that the cancer was inoperable. So I am thinking about calling or emailing prayer services to pray for me. Do you know any good ones?

aleftina
Posts: 102
Joined: Nov 2003

Saw Deepak Chopra on PBS day before yesterday: "The Soul of a healing", it was very interesting. They are selling the tape of it for $120.00

Other_Half
Posts: 4
Joined: Mar 2004

I'm afraid the only thing Chopra has cured is his personal poverty, if he ever suffered from it.

See quackwatch: http://www.quackwatch.org/04ConsumerEducation/chopra.html

Subscribe to Comments for "Can metastatic cancer be cured?"