CSN Login
Members Online: 12

You are here

Did I give up?

Posts: 81
Joined: Jun 2001

I went to see my oncologist today. I was to start taxol and herceptin. I have been debating on whether or not to have the taxol. I had done a lot of research on it an found that it was really only helpful in metastatic breast cancer paitients. I asked my Doctor about it and she said if I didn't want to take it, I didn't have to. She just wanted me to have the option, but still have to have the 52 weeks of herceptin. I chose against the taxol, but feel like I gave up. I hope that I did the right thing, but just couldn't understand putting myself through it if it wasn't going to help. Any comments or advice on the situation would really be appreciated. Thank you so much and God Bless you All! Love, Carrie

Posts: 1416
Joined: Mar 2001

Hi Carrie,
I think that women need to hear some of us choose differently for ourselves than what the doctors suggest. I know through my experience we need to do what we are comfortable with because it is our life. We have to be truly comfortable with ourselves and what we are left with.
Be good to yourself,

Posts: 243
Joined: Jun 2001

Good advice. I have to decide whether or not to take Lupron. The doc wants it but I don't understand why. We must be comfortable with our treatment plan. Thanks for reinforcing that.
Love, Jayne

Posts: 19
Joined: Apr 2001

Hi Carrie. No you didn't give up. You made a decision about your treatment. You are still going through some kind of treatment to erase this monster from your body. My Doctor wanted me to do the taxol as a clinical trial and told him no. As there is no evidence of the cancer being anywhere but my breast, I didn't think it was necessary. Hang in there and keep on fighting. God Bless, love Barbara

Posts: 81
Joined: Jun 2001

I am so glad to hear that I am not the only person to think this about the drug. I was so unsure as to why it was necessary. I feel so much better knowing that there are others out there who feel the same as I do! God Bless YOu! Carrie

lindysu's picture
Posts: 59
Joined: Jan 2001

you did the research ,weighed the options and decided what was right for you........that is the RIGHT choice!
my doctor said the AC was the main thing and the Taxol only added a few extra percentage points to the survival rate. Because I chose not to have the lymph node disection,and my Cancer was so aggressive I went ahead , but only after my doctor convinced my insurance co. to pay for it...because I discovered most insurance co.s won't pay for the Taxol unless the nodes are possitive........lindy

Anonymous user (not verified)

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Posts: 24
Joined: Jul 2001

Carrie I posted a similar question sometime back because my Onc. had said he wasnt sure if he'd give me the taxol. He said there were several debates going on about whether it added anything. He later decided to give it to me because I was a Stage ll and studies were not conclusive as to whether it helped or not these days. If my cancer had only been inthe breast he wouldnt have given it to me.
At the end of the day its our bodies the drs are there to advise and make suggestions but the final SAY is with us. Make your decision and live by it! Thats what I say :))

Subscribe to Comments for "Did I give up?"