Only 2 sessions of carbo/taxol and no more. Liver affected and not doing well.

luz del lago
luz del lago Member Posts: 449
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
After a recurrence and mets to several bones and now a new spot on the affected lung, my husband has begun to experience pain in his upper abdomen and hips and back. An ultra sound was done to see if gall bladder was acting up as he is experiencing a severe gag reflex at even the mention of food and the abdominal pain. They wanted to see if there were any blockages, as they said that could be corrected. His liver (has many cancer lesions) is acting up. It started with abnormal function readings, which have stabilized, but the bilirubin count is 5.4 as of last Monday. He is slightly jaundiced and has the "orange" urine. After ct and ultra sound they could not find any blockages. They believe it can be damage by the taxol or simply the cancer in the liver reeking havoc. My love was given pain medication and must take nausea meds to get through the day. He seems to be losing all his muscle as the only thing he consumes is hot tea, small portions of creamed soups, applesauce and Boost. The fatigue is severe.
After months of reading and sharing in this wonderful site, I have had the honor and blessing of seeing so many "bumps" in the road for folks, some mild, some severe. I have read with joy the recoveries and survivals. I pray that my husband's health improves enough to see a new year, and be strengthened to battle this monster.
His Oncologist will be administering topetecan on Monday. She says he will be able to take it as they can give to folks with liver problems. I know it is a far reach as we have been told that the recurrence came too soon, to both first and second line treatments. As a wife that adores this man, I cannot help but have hope! I also cannot help but be scared at what my eyes are seeing that is happening to him!

Comments

• medi_2
    medi_2 Member Posts: 505 Member
    hang in there!
    Hang in there Lucy; I am sorry that the two of you are going through so much pain.
    Sending good thoughts your way...
    Medi
  • luz del lago
    luz del lago Member Posts: 449
    medi_2 said:

hang in there!
    Hang in there Lucy; I am sorry that the two of you are going through so much pain.
    Sending good thoughts your way...
    Medi

Like the kitty on that old poster
    Just got used to living one day at a time, now I feel I'm living one hour at a time. Thank you Medi for your words of support.
    Lucy
  • Glenna M
    Glenna M Member Posts: 1,576
    So sorry...
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband's problems and will be praying that his doctors will find a treatment that will work for him.

I will be keeping you both in my prayers.

Glenna
  • Dan620
    Dan620 Member Posts: 220
    Glenna M said:

So sorry...
    I'm sorry to hear about your husband's problems and will be praying that his doctors will find a treatment that will work for him.

I will be keeping you both in my prayers.

Glenna

Sorry
    So sorry to hear the pain your husband is going through, I will keep you both in my prayers to beat this beast. Stay strong and best wishes..... Dan
  • karenbeth
    karenbeth Member Posts: 194
    hope
    Keep hoping--it's all you can do. My thoughts are with you both and I hope the new treatment buys you and your husband time together.

Karen
  • chad76
    chad76 Member Posts: 52
    prayers
    Sending many prayers your way!
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Dear Lucy
    I don't pray, but I want you to know I'm thinking of you and your husband and hoping he will come through his bump in the road feeling much better.
    ♥ Deb
  • NayPaul
    NayPaul Member Posts: 230 Member
    Thinking of you.
    I dont pray either. Now my wife that is a different story. None the less, I am thinking of you and your family and as always, am keeping hope.
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    NayPaul said:

Thinking of you.
    I dont pray either. Now my wife that is a different story. None the less, I am thinking of you and your family and as always, am keeping hope.

Luz Del Lago
    From 12-21-10 POST An inspiration

Dear ones,

My Love Dennis has gone to a place of glory, a place of peace and no pain. We were blessed with short suffering and pain and a calm came over him as he said good-by.

You all gave him inspiration, hope and knowledge. He would wish that you who are survivors continue your quest in this life. That the miracle that is your life continue to inspire all who see and know you.

With a saddened heart,

Luz Del Lago

‹ not mine Hope....Faith.....Love.....Joy ›
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    z said:

Luz Del Lago

Dear ones,

My Love Dennis has gone to a place of glory, a place of peace and no pain. We were blessed with short suffering and pain and a calm came over him as he said good-by.

You all gave him inspiration, hope and knowledge. He would wish that you who are survivors continue your quest in this life. That the miracle that is your life continue to inspire all who see and know you.

With a saddened heart,

Luz Del Lago

I'm so sorry
    I knew better, don't know what I was thinking :(
  • JohnBinDC
    JohnBinDC Member Posts: 91 Member
    z said:

Luz Del Lago

Dear ones,

With a saddened heart,

Luz Del Lago

Sad at you loss
    My heart goes out to you and your family. It is so thoughtful of you to be thinking of others as you deal with your loss. I wish you much peace and am grateful you are a part of this community.

Best wishes always

John