painful, tender palpable lymph node

ccincin
ccincin Member Posts: 82
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
on the right side. I had lymph dissection along with the mastectomy 09/29. Started antibiotics today. Anyone have anything like this???? I am beside myself with worry of course that it's hit the other side too!!

Comments

• DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    I didn't have this, and, am
    I didn't have this, and, am sorry that you are worrying about it. Have you called your oncologist or plastic surgeon and told them? What did they say? When do you see them again?

Hugs, Debby
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    DebbyM said:

I didn't have this, and, am
    I didn't have this, and, am sorry that you are worrying about it. Have you called your oncologist or plastic surgeon and told them? What did they say? When do you see them again?

Hugs, Debby

Of course you are worried. I
    Of course you are worried. I dont approve of any strange lumps appearing on my body. Its unlikely it is a new cancer at this point. I assume the antibiotics are for some possibly related infection. Notice any bites or anything? My favorite thing to do is distract distract distract. more Hugs!!!
  • savvysma
    savvysma Member Posts: 9
    I had my mastectomy with
    I had my mastectomy with nodes removed in July and my final implants done 11/9. I found a swolllen something under my left armpit actually on the pectoralis major that connects to the armpit. Surgeon thinks because my left side is swollen and my bras are too tight it has caused that area to swell. She recommended buying a bra 2 sizes bigger which would never really fit so I am wearing more of a tank top now but the swelling infront of the armpit hasnt gone down at all. It's only been a few days.Is this similar? It feels like it would be a lymphnode but she didnt call it that. Good luch keep me posted I d love to know
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Very likely no big deal
    Not saying you shouldn't get it checked out ASAP, because you should. But my beloved Moopy had a similar experience 6 months after her mastectomy, and right before we moved up to St. Louis for rads: palpable lump under the arm on the non-mastectomy side. Same reaction, too: AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!

Moopy's surgeon was not available on such short notice, but the Nurse Practitioner who works with the surgeons was good enough to work her in. He felt the area very carefully, pronounced it to be no big deal, and explained very carefully what he thought was going on. The lymphatic system can react erratically to any number of shocks, including major surgery and/or chemotherapy. He said that it probably was a swollen lymph node and that if it didn't go away in a couple of weeks, to contact her rad onc in St. Louis.

The lymph node did indeed simmer down and has been behaving itself ever since. That was almost a year and a half ago. Moopy is alive and well and dancing with NED. I really think you will have the same experience once you get it checked out.

Best,
    Joe
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    savvysma said:

I had my mastectomy with
    I had my mastectomy with nodes removed in July and my final implants done 11/9. I found a swolllen something under my left armpit actually on the pectoralis major that connects to the armpit. Surgeon thinks because my left side is swollen and my bras are too tight it has caused that area to swell. She recommended buying a bra 2 sizes bigger which would never really fit so I am wearing more of a tank top now but the swelling infront of the armpit hasnt gone down at all. It's only been a few days.Is this similar? It feels like it would be a lymphnode but she didnt call it that. Good luch keep me posted I d love to know

I don't know what it might
    I don't know what it might be, so, it would be best for you to contact your doctor as soon as possible. Let us know what he says it is.

Good luck,

Leeza
  • ccincin
    ccincin Member Posts: 82
    Aortus said:

Very likely no big deal
    Not saying you shouldn't get it checked out ASAP, because you should. But my beloved Moopy had a similar experience 6 months after her mastectomy, and right before we moved up to St. Louis for rads: palpable lump under the arm on the non-mastectomy side. Same reaction, too: AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!

Moopy's surgeon was not available on such short notice, but the Nurse Practitioner who works with the surgeons was good enough to work her in. He felt the area very carefully, pronounced it to be no big deal, and explained very carefully what he thought was going on. The lymphatic system can react erratically to any number of shocks, including major surgery and/or chemotherapy. He said that it probably was a swollen lymph node and that if it didn't go away in a couple of weeks, to contact her rad onc in St. Louis.

The lymph node did indeed simmer down and has been behaving itself ever since. That was almost a year and a half ago. Moopy is alive and well and dancing with NED. I really think you will have the same experience once you get it checked out.

Best,
    Joe

Thank you!
    It feels just like a lymph node! No longer painful, called onc. Said to start antibiotics and day 3 is when pain subsided. Still palpable but hoping it's just overreacting due to the lack of them on other side!! Of course I panic but just had a pet ct scan and showed nothing so thats calming...will call back Monday to see where to go from here..
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I am sure it is nothing
    I am sure it is nothing maybe a infection.. Have the antibiotics helped. I think you should call you Oncologist just to be safe. I wish you all the best and hope you feel better soon. Take care Kay
  • Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    ccincin said:

Thank you!
    It feels just like a lymph node! No longer painful, called onc. Said to start antibiotics and day 3 is when pain subsided. Still palpable but hoping it's just overreacting due to the lack of them on other side!! Of course I panic but just had a pet ct scan and showed nothing so thats calming...will call back Monday to see where to go from here..

Happy to hear it!
    When I mentioned your post to my beloved Moopy, she just nodded and said "Yup." As you point out, if something nasty was acting up, the PET/CT scan would have shown it. I'm delighted to hear your great news!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    ccincin said:

Thank you!

Glad your pain has subsided.
    Glad your pain has subsided. We all panic, it goes with having bc.

And, congrats on your PET scan!