Hair care products 2-

rene9
rene9 Member Posts: 214
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Yes, I'm back on the hair thing...I posted a similiar topic at the end of April before I had even finished chemo...now I'm 6 months out with short wavy/curly hair. I use Shea Moisture from Target because it's organic. It costs $9.99 for a 12 oz. bottle. It's ok, I get a lot of compliments...I wanna know what other good hair products are out there especially for chemo curls? I may not put anymore chemicals in my hair, I don't know... I'm told if you can't eat it, don't put it in your hair!

rene9

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I use morrocan oil after I
    I use morrocan oil after I shampoo, it helps to defiine the curls and stops the frizz. i used a shampoo called Frizz I believe from Sephors, but the nearest sephors is 40 minutes away, so perhaps I will try that shampoo.
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Now Rene
    What did we discuss months ago about your hair? Hair is like finger nails after about 2" from scalp it is no longer a living organism. (I forgot, you probably had chemo brain during those discussions) The only hair products that cause damage to hair are: perms; hair color; straighten solutions. These products force open the hair cutical, imagine a pine cone, which is when the product does it work. When work is completed another chemical is added to relax the open cutical back down tight to hold or retain the chemical, ie. hair color. As for your beautiful hair, it should continue to change till eventually you are back to square one, the hair you had before chemo. Any GOOD shampoo and conditioner (these should be seperated not all inclusive). I found the Aveda line to work wonders on my very unmanagable hair. Check out their web site. Hair is Hair, regardless of ones ethnic origan.

Kathryn
  • carkris

Now Rene
    What did we discuss months ago about your hair? Hair is like finger nails after about 2" from scalp it is no longer a living organism. (I forgot, you probably had chemo brain during those discussions) The only hair products that cause damage to hair are: perms; hair color; straighten solutions. These products force open the hair cutical, imagine a pine cone, which is when the product does it work. When work is completed another chemical is added to relax the open cutical back down tight to hold or retain the chemical, ie. hair color. As for your beautiful hair, it should continue to change till eventually you are back to square one, the hair you had before chemo. Any GOOD shampoo and conditioner (these should be seperated not all inclusive). I found the Aveda line to work wonders on my very unmanagable hair. Check out their web site. Hair is Hair, regardless of ones ethnic origan.

Kathryn

I cant type Sephora

I cant type Sephora
  • rene9

Now Rene

Kathryn

Hi!
    Hi mam how are you? With work and school I'm not on here a lot. Then, I'll have my reconstructive surgery and port removal in 4 weeks...Back to the hair products...You know I need some reminders and confirmation. And chemo brain is real! LOL! But, I will look into the Aveda products. Right now I am enjoying my curls! Though, I have actually started a little researching about Aveda and I've heard pretty good things about it. Do you still use Aveda? And as always, thanks for responding.:)

rene9
  • Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    rene9 said:

Hi!
    Hi mam how are you? With work and school I'm not on here a lot. Then, I'll have my reconstructive surgery and port removal in 4 weeks...Back to the hair products...You know I need some reminders and confirmation. And chemo brain is real! LOL! But, I will look into the Aveda products. Right now I am enjoying my curls! Though, I have actually started a little researching about Aveda and I've heard pretty good things about it. Do you still use Aveda? And as always, thanks for responding.:)

rene9

Hi!
    Hi Rene,

Good to hear from you too. And yes chemo brain is real. I still have moments when I have to walk backwards to remember what I was going to do. I don't believe it really ever goes away. I still use Aveda line. Have been using their body and style products to put some shape and life in my hair for the day. Next morning though I am back with the Rod Stewart look. I need to reorder conditioner, got hubby using it too so need to reorder more often. Aveda has a starter kit which is what got me hooked. Give it try, it's only money, and to think, it helps the economy.....What's worse, chemo brain or school kids? Mam, I am not that old. Kathryn, Kath, Freckles, will do, but not mam, please, you are making me feel old. Keep in touch.

Kathryn
  • rene9

Hi!
    Hi Rene,

Good to hear from you too. And yes chemo brain is real. I still have moments when I have to walk backwards to remember what I was going to do. I don't believe it really ever goes away. I still use Aveda line. Have been using their body and style products to put some shape and life in my hair for the day. Next morning though I am back with the Rod Stewart look. I need to reorder conditioner, got hubby using it too so need to reorder more often. Aveda has a starter kit which is what got me hooked. Give it try, it's only money, and to think, it helps the economy.....What's worse, chemo brain or school kids? Mam, I am not that old. Kathryn, Kath, Freckles, will do, but not mam, please, you are making me feel old. Keep in touch.

Kathryn

Hi there-
    Hi Kathryn, how are you? Actually I use mam with all ladies, my elementary students, my co-workers. For some reason we refer to each other that way. And the same with sir. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel old. LOL! I did get some Aveda, but it seems my hair was dry after using it. It costs a little more than the Shea Moisture I have from Target, but I'll see. Then, because my curls shrink and are tight my mom says I will be getting a perm by Spring. I told her this and I am fine with this. By then I will be using something like the Keracare product line. Also, check your inbox.

rene9
  • carkris
    rene9 said:

Hi there-
    Hi Kathryn, how are you? Actually I use mam with all ladies, my elementary students, my co-workers. For some reason we refer to each other that way. And the same with sir. I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to make you feel old. LOL! I did get some Aveda, but it seems my hair was dry after using it. It costs a little more than the Shea Moisture I have from Target, but I'll see. Then, because my curls shrink and are tight my mom says I will be getting a perm by Spring. I told her this and I am fine with this. By then I will be using something like the Keracare product line. Also, check your inbox.

rene9

The product frizz from
    The product frizz from sephora is not drying. i am happy my husband was driving in the area and picked some up for me. It works perfectly for me. Didnt like the chia pet look at all!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    I had curly hair before AND
    I had curly hair before AND after chemo...lol. My favorite leave-in conditioner is called "FastFood" and is made by AG. I don't think it is organic though--but it is made with a lot of natural herbs: sage, nettle, hops, chamomile, rosemary, balm mint, yarrow, etc. My hubbie has dry straight hair and he likes it too as it is a light moisturizer--not waxy or greasy.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member

I had curly hair before AND
    I had curly hair before AND after chemo...lol. My favorite leave-in conditioner is called "FastFood" and is made by AG. I don't think it is organic though--but it is made with a lot of natural herbs: sage, nettle, hops, chamomile, rosemary, balm mint, yarrow, etc. My hubbie has dry straight hair and he likes it too as it is a light moisturizer--not waxy or greasy.

P.S. my favorie web site
    www.naturallycurly.com has a section where folks rate products for curly hair. You can search products by shampoos, for example, and ratings and other ways. I have found many helpful products at the site.
  • rene9

P.S. my favorie web site
    www.naturallycurly.com has a section where folks rate products for curly hair. You can search products by shampoos, for example, and ratings and other ways. I have found many helpful products at the site.

Thanks;)
    Thanks;) I will continue my research. I better stop using before I stunt my hair growth or something. My curls are kinda tight so I know I'll be perming it next year and I have no problem with that. Just soooo happy to have hair growing and growing nice and even. It's still weird when I get compliments...

rene9
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    rene9 said:

Thanks;)
    Thanks;) I will continue my research. I better stop using before I stunt my hair growth or something. My curls are kinda tight so I know I'll be perming it next year and I have no problem with that. Just soooo happy to have hair growing and growing nice and even. It's still weird when I get compliments...

rene9

Happy to know that your hair
    Happy to know that your hair is growing and you like it Rene!

Hugs, Leeza