Eating Before

kya911
kya911 Member Posts: 157
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Should I eat before chemo or is it better for me not to eat at all?
Thank You In Advance
Judy

Comments

• missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    I had my normal breakfast
    My husband and I even ate lunch together while getting chemo sometimes. During the infusion, I never had any digestive problems. It was usually a few days later (the crash) that I'd have diarrhea/constipation and sometimes slight nausea, but never vomiting.

I guess you'll have to see what's right for you. I would urge you to drink fluids like a mad woman though!

Good luck and positive energy coming your way,
    Hugs, Renee
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I think it is really up to
    I think it is really up to you. How do you feel? If you are very nervous maybe just take some snacks with you. Don't forget the water. I use to take a cooler with me with water and snacks in it. I also took cards books it is boring sitting there. I'll be thinking of you and you are of course in my prayers Take care Kay
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99

I think it is really up to you. How do you feel? If you are very nervous maybe just take some snacks with you. Don't forget the water. I use to take a cooler with me with water and snacks in it. I also took cards books it is boring sitting there. I'll be thinking of you and you are of course in my prayers Take care Kay

I Eat
    I eat before during and after.....lol
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99

I Eat
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    dee1962 said:

I Eat

I did
    I always ate a normal breakfast. My txs seem to always fall around lunch time. I took lunch with me a time or two or would go eat right after. I never had any nausea but did have some problems with constipation or diarrhea but like someone else said it was always a few days later. I took snacks with me too.God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I did
    I always ate a normal breakfast. My txs seem to always fall around lunch time. I took lunch with me a time or two or would go eat right after. I never had any nausea but did have some problems with constipation or diarrhea but like someone else said it was always a few days later. I took snacks with me too.God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Most people say they eat a
    Most people say they eat a light meal, until they know how their body will react. i couldnt eat because i had a long drive and digestive issues.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    carkris said:

Most people say they eat a
    Most people say they eat a light meal, until they know how their body will react. i couldnt eat because i had a long drive and digestive issues.

I was told no chemo on an empty stomach
    My chemo nurses told me in no uncertain terms that I did NOT want to do chemo on an empty stomach, and encouraged me to eat something light before coming. I also brought light snacks and plenty of water with me. Throughout chemo, I always felt better if I had a little something in my stomach.

Traci
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    for me it varied
    For me it varied. some weeks I had treatments in the morning, sometimes afternoon. If it was morning I ate a light breakfast. If it was afternoon, usually after work, but I had eaten lunch 2-3 hours before. The center I went to has snacks, sodas, and water available to patients. Some brought snacks or meals from home or nearby restaurants. I was fortunate that I did not have many digestive problems. I did make sure to dring water before, during, and after. It helped me feel better, and it flushed the drugs out of my system faster (I could tell by the smell of my skin and urine). I would suggest that you eat a light meal before you go and have water and snacks handy, then see how you feel. Be sure to tell the nurses if you start feeling badly. They have wonderful drugs to help. I also agree with the post that advised you to bring a book, or something to do. They gave me Benedril through my IV, which put me right to sleep, but before that I would read or talk to my fellow patients, if they were up to it. Some bring laptops and do work, or crosswords, or crochet, whatever you like to do when you relax that will not disturb your neighbors.

seof
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    seof said:

for me it varied
    For me it varied. some weeks I had treatments in the morning, sometimes afternoon. If it was morning I ate a light breakfast. If it was afternoon, usually after work, but I had eaten lunch 2-3 hours before. The center I went to has snacks, sodas, and water available to patients. Some brought snacks or meals from home or nearby restaurants. I was fortunate that I did not have many digestive problems. I did make sure to dring water before, during, and after. It helped me feel better, and it flushed the drugs out of my system faster (I could tell by the smell of my skin and urine). I would suggest that you eat a light meal before you go and have water and snacks handy, then see how you feel. Be sure to tell the nurses if you start feeling badly. They have wonderful drugs to help. I also agree with the post that advised you to bring a book, or something to do. They gave me Benedril through my IV, which put me right to sleep, but before that I would read or talk to my fellow patients, if they were up to it. Some bring laptops and do work, or crosswords, or crochet, whatever you like to do when you relax that will not disturb your neighbors.

seof

It is also good to start
    It is also good to start drinking a day or two before, I brought my Ipod, it was a way for me to block out everything, then I would take a nap. I also brought a book, but mostly listened to music and dozed.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Oh man,
    my sister and I would practically have a picnic. We would even share food.

I had no problem eating before, during or after. Thank goodness for Emend!
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    sea60 said:

Oh man,
    my sister and I would practically have a picnic. We would even share food.

I had no problem eating before, during or after. Thank goodness for Emend!

Thank you very much
    Thank you very much everyone.
    I will take a book & some cd's.
    Each patient has their own tv so that will help.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    carkris said:

It is also good to start
    It is also good to start drinking a day or two before, I brought my Ipod, it was a way for me to block out everything, then I would take a nap. I also brought a book, but mostly listened to music and dozed.

Judy .. Judy.. Judy ... (in a Cary Grant's voice)
    Yes, by all means .. eat. On your longer infusion/chemo cocktail days - bring a thermos of warm herbal tea, or soup -- socks are "a" must in my book -- lay back and take a snooze - if possible, and a snack. At times I brought bagels with cream cheese, or tuna sandwich -- which in most cases my husband ate, cause I was normally - slightly nauseous during each and every treatment.

Strength and Courage:

Vicki Sam