spasms

dee1962
dee1962 Member Posts: 99
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
i 've been up all night with spasms in my back not sure what to do can someone help me.....

Comments

• Curlz
    Curlz Member Posts: 42
    General stuff
    Based on my personal experience...

If you've got spots that are specifically tight (you feel like the spasm could be worked out), you can:
    -Put an ice pack on them (20 mins on/off)

-Sit or lie against a tennis ball; this puts pressure on the spot that's in spasm--and you can roll it around

-Don't just lie down the whole time! Not moving can make it worse...gentle walking, even around the house

-Try to find a licensed massage therapist; my hospital actually has a few on staff through the Ca Ctr's Ca Wellness Pgm, so they're not only great MTs, they're used to working with people who have other medical issues

Feel better! Back stuff sucks.
    Curlz
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Dee are you taking neupogen
    Dee are you taking neupogen or neulesta shots? Anyways, when I had horrid back spasms, my onc said to take plain old Motrin. I scoffed at that, took it and it worked great. I had previously taken darvocet which didn't do a thing.

Good luck, Cindy
  • dee1962
    dee1962 Member Posts: 99
    Snowkitty said:

Dee are you taking neupogen
    Dee are you taking neupogen or neulesta shots? Anyways, when I had horrid back spasms, my onc said to take plain old Motrin. I scoffed at that, took it and it worked great. I had previously taken darvocet which didn't do a thing.

Good luck, Cindy

thanks i will try
    thanks i will try anything....no i'm not taking any of those....
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I had spasms in my sides and
    I had spasms in my sides and back BOY did they hurt.. All I could do was stretch. I did find that pain meds or Tylenol did help. I mostly got mine in the afternoon don't know why I would get them 2 or 3 days about 3 or 4 days after chemo. Wish I could be more help. I also used heating pads to relax the muscles. I hope you never get another one.. Kay
  • Chickadee1955
    Chickadee1955 Member Posts: 356 Member

I had spasms in my sides and
    I had spasms in my sides and back BOY did they hurt.. All I could do was stretch. I did find that pain meds or Tylenol did help. I mostly got mine in the afternoon don't know why I would get them 2 or 3 days about 3 or 4 days after chemo. Wish I could be more help. I also used heating pads to relax the muscles. I hope you never get another one.. Kay

My oncologist suggested
    My oncologist suggested allergy meds like Claritin or Benadryl along with Tylenol or Motrin for the spasms caused by Neulasta. It worked very well
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    No fun!
    Hello Dee,

I get really bad spasms as a result of surgeries, rads etc. I finally went to a neurologist who confirmed it is a bit of nerve damage and tissue damage that will most likely be with me for the long haul. When the spasms get bad I now take Soma (makes you sleepy) which really helps and I have a massage heating pad I use as well. I do go to therapy several times a year to help with lossening that area up so the spasms are less likely to occur. Hope you feel better soon!

RE
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    RE said:

No fun!
    Hello Dee,

I get really bad spasms as a result of surgeries, rads etc. I finally went to a neurologist who confirmed it is a bit of nerve damage and tissue damage that will most likely be with me for the long haul. When the spasms get bad I now take Soma (makes you sleepy) which really helps and I have a massage heating pad I use as well. I do go to therapy several times a year to help with lossening that area up so the spasms are less likely to occur. Hope you feel better soon!

RE

I am still suffering from spasms .. Just another side effort
    .. what has helped me is stretching, or as Re suggested a massage and heating pad. Heating will reduce the tension in your muscles and allow blood to flow.

What the hey, I will admit to having more than 2 heating pads on me in different areas of my body at the same time... Heck, it was the only way to move, function and live for many months. Worked for me.

Strength and Courage:0)

Vicki Sam