Radiation burn

cwillnow
cwillnow Member Posts: 12
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all...I just finished whole breast radiation today and start the booster radiation tomorrow. My breast tissue held up nicely and just got red but my underarm burns really bad. I've been using the cream and the mepilex pads but I can't take the burn anymore. Could anyone tell me when the burning goes away? I haven't been getting much sleep. Also, will I get a burn from the booster? Thanks...

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    You only get the boosters at
    You only get the boosters at the exact tumor site, so, if your tumor wasn't your underarm, you will start healing. Keep using your creams and your mepilex pads for a few weeks after you are done. Rads are cumulative and you are still "cooking".

The good news is ---- You will heal up quickly and your skin will be great! It took only a couple of weeks for me when I finished, so, just hang in there a little bit more.

Hugs, Diane
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Have you tried
    using Calendula Gel? It is more of a burn ointment and really helped take the burning feeling away for me. I used it along with Aquaphor and only had some minor pain from burning. I will start to heal quickly when you start the booster. I was afraid the boosters would make the burning worse but they don't since they are targeted at the tumor area only.
    Have faith it will get better. You are almost done.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    ladyg said:

Have you tried
    using Calendula Gel? It is more of a burn ointment and really helped take the burning feeling away for me. I used it along with Aquaphor and only had some minor pain from burning. I will start to heal quickly when you start the booster. I was afraid the boosters would make the burning worse but they don't since they are targeted at the tumor area only.
    Have faith it will get better. You are almost done.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Boosters are only for your
    Boosters are only for your tumor site, so, everywhere else that you were having rads will begin to heal.

And, ONLY use what your OWN rads oncologist tells you to use or gives you a prescription for. Ask him always before you use anything else on your skin.

Hugs, Debby
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    DebbyM said:

Boosters are only for your
    Boosters are only for your tumor site, so, everywhere else that you were having rads will begin to heal.

And, ONLY use what your OWN rads oncologist tells you to use or gives you a prescription for. Ask him always before you use anything else on your skin.

Hugs, Debby

Bumping up ....
    Best of luck .. Please refer to 'your' Oncologist and his recommendations.

Vicki Sam
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    VickiSam said:

Bumping up ....
    Best of luck .. Please refer to 'your' Oncologist and his recommendations.

Vicki Sam

The burning will go away
    The burning will go away pretty fast once you start the boosters. Try to be patient and use whatever your rads oncologist says you can use.

Hugs, Angie
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Angie2U said:

The burning will go away
    The burning will go away pretty fast once you start the boosters. Try to be patient and use whatever your rads oncologist says you can use.

Hugs, Angie

Everyone already wrote what
    Everyone already wrote what I would say. Good luck with your boosters!
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Silvadene
    is your friend. I burned (pictures on my expressions page) and my radiology oncologist put me on Silvadene which is a prescription burn cream--it really, REALLY helped. I also ran around the house with no top on but I wasn't working--not an option for everyone, I know.

Maureen
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Domebro soaks were what
    Domebro soaks were what finally healed my burns.

I had no boosters as the involved area was just too big but the entire radiated area burned - not as in a bad sun burn but rather a deep burn that opened up and poured liquid. Thankfully the deepest of the burns were in an area where the nerves no longer work and the Vicodan kept the other areas bearable. It poured too much to get Mepilix to stay on so it was wearing white t-shirts and changing them often.

Silvadene/Sulfadene are good for most but as they contain sulfa drug, anyone allergic to sulfa (me for one) cannot use them. For me, it took 6 weeks for the last scabs to come off the deepest burns - underarm and up side of neck.

Susan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Rague said:

Domebro soaks were what
    Domebro soaks were what finally healed my burns.

I had no boosters as the involved area was just too big but the entire radiated area burned - not as in a bad sun burn but rather a deep burn that opened up and poured liquid. Thankfully the deepest of the burns were in an area where the nerves no longer work and the Vicodan kept the other areas bearable. It poured too much to get Mepilix to stay on so it was wearing white t-shirts and changing them often.

Silvadene/Sulfadene are good for most but as they contain sulfa drug, anyone allergic to sulfa (me for one) cannot use them. For me, it took 6 weeks for the last scabs to come off the deepest burns - underarm and up side of neck.

Susan

How are you doing with the
    How are you doing with the boosters?

Hugs, Diane
  • cwillnow
    cwillnow Member Posts: 12
    DianeBC said:

How are you doing with the
    How are you doing with the boosters?

Hugs, Diane

Hi all...Underarm is healing
    Hi all...Underarm is healing from the burn and I have 2 more booster treatments. Boosters are going ok , but hurts a little under the breast (the scar is at the 6 o'clock position). Very much looking forward to graduation day! Thanks and hugs to all!!

Carol
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    cwillnow said:

Hi all...Underarm is healing
    Hi all...Underarm is healing from the burn and I have 2 more booster treatments. Boosters are going ok , but hurts a little under the breast (the scar is at the 6 o'clock position). Very much looking forward to graduation day! Thanks and hugs to all!!

Carol

You are almost done, and, we
    You are almost done, and, we will all be celebrating with you. Glad you are healing.

Hugs, Jan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sorry to hear
    I was one of the very lucky ones-I DID NOT burn at all...even 2 yrs later doctors are surprised when they look...

I wish you the best on healing and feeling better!

Thinking of you...good luck...with everything