Wife Starting Taxol Wednesday

Hubby
Hubby Member Posts: 325
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Donna will be starting her four bi-weekly Taxol treatments on Wednesday. So far, most we have heard from have thought Taxol was easier to tollerate than AC, so hopefully that will be true for her.

So what have some have you done or taken to get through Taxol?

Water, water, water; seems to be a given, except that water has not sat well since chemo started. I'd be interested if the Listerine soaking is working. Claratin?

Anyone try anything else?

Bob

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I had taxol 12 weekly
    I had taxol 12 weekly treatments. taxol was easier although I did not do well with chemo. It was a step up from AC for sure. I did get neuropathy, I was weak at the time and did not see the signs. I thought I was stumbling from weakness, (even my PT says in my case that would hard to determine) but it was a sign of the neuropathy, by the time it was really apparent, it was my last treatment so I opted to finish it. I got a taxol rash on my face and neck,dry, red and itchy. I used creams but it went away after taxol was done and my skin looks great. I did have the big D but I had that all along. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, just want you to know so you will know what to look for IF you get neuropathy, and the rash will go away. also they say to help the neuropathy, take B6 I wish I had taken it during treatment. I hope it goes well for your wife. and I hope you are hanging in there. it gets better. P.S. actually bought the listerine just havent tried it yet.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    carkris said:

I had taxol 12 weekly
    I had taxol 12 weekly treatments. taxol was easier although I did not do well with chemo. It was a step up from AC for sure. I did get neuropathy, I was weak at the time and did not see the signs. I thought I was stumbling from weakness, (even my PT says in my case that would hard to determine) but it was a sign of the neuropathy, by the time it was really apparent, it was my last treatment so I opted to finish it. I got a taxol rash on my face and neck,dry, red and itchy. I used creams but it went away after taxol was done and my skin looks great. I did have the big D but I had that all along. Not to sound like a Debbie Downer, just want you to know so you will know what to look for IF you get neuropathy, and the rash will go away. also they say to help the neuropathy, take B6 I wish I had taken it during treatment. I hope it goes well for your wife. and I hope you are hanging in there. it gets better. P.S. actually bought the listerine just havent tried it yet.

I was on Taxol 2 years ago,
    I was on Taxol 2 years ago, and I am on Taxol again due to a reoccurence. I do get mine weekly so there may be a difference, but i have not had any major problems. I seem to have more problems with the benadryl and decadron that i get before the taxol treatment. My face got puffy from the decadron so if you see that happen let her onc know. Also, i got a urinary tract infection, so throw some cranberrry juice in with the water. I am anemic, so i am tired but i do take rests often. I am on disability so that helps me a lot. I have had the big D, but i think that has to do with what i eat the day of chemo. Keep the meals light. take care
  • carolu200
    carolu200 Member Posts: 7
    Just finished Taxol last Wednesday
    It was easier than the a/c in that I didn't have the nausea and loss of appetite or mouth sores. In fact my appetite increased with the steroids and food actually tasted good again. But 2 days after treatment I would get muscle aches starting in my shoulders and upper back and slowly progressing down my body and ending up in in the muscles around my knees. The first treatment was the worst - stabbing pains in my knees, ankles, thighs, etc. and I didn't get much sleep that Saturday night.
    Each treatment got progressively easier with the help of vicodin and ibuprofen. Tramadol put me to sleep for an entire day. Some people have the opposite effect so everyone is different. I didn't get the numbness in my fingers but my fingertips are super sensitive, esp. to heat. The same goes for the bottoms of my feet. And, praise be, I didn't loose all my eyebrows or eyelashes. They're pretty thin but still there!

Good luck to Donna! She's halfway there and she can do it!
  • carkris
    carolu200 said:

Just finished Taxol last Wednesday
    It was easier than the a/c in that I didn't have the nausea and loss of appetite or mouth sores. In fact my appetite increased with the steroids and food actually tasted good again. But 2 days after treatment I would get muscle aches starting in my shoulders and upper back and slowly progressing down my body and ending up in in the muscles around my knees. The first treatment was the worst - stabbing pains in my knees, ankles, thighs, etc. and I didn't get much sleep that Saturday night.
    Each treatment got progressively easier with the help of vicodin and ibuprofen. Tramadol put me to sleep for an entire day. Some people have the opposite effect so everyone is different. I didn't get the numbness in my fingers but my fingertips are super sensitive, esp. to heat. The same goes for the bottoms of my feet. And, praise be, I didn't loose all my eyebrows or eyelashes. They're pretty thin but still there!

Good luck to Donna! She's halfway there and she can do it!

I also had a weird thing
    I also had a weird thing where I had a temp for the first 3 weeks of taxol, but I think it had more to do with the flu shot I received. the sensitivity is part of the neuropathy, my feet are asleep, the left side up to my ankle yet over sensitive, I call it the princess and the pea syndrome. getting very slowly better. I hope to wear shoes this winter. LOL
  • knitterjan
    knitterjan Member Posts: 20
    carkris said:

I also had a weird thing
    I also had a weird thing where I had a temp for the first 3 weeks of taxol, but I think it had more to do with the flu shot I received. the sensitivity is part of the neuropathy, my feet are asleep, the left side up to my ankle yet over sensitive, I call it the princess and the pea syndrome. getting very slowly better. I hope to wear shoes this winter. LOL

Taxol
    I just finished 18 weekly treatments with Taxol plus herceptin, with Zometta every 4 weeks. I guess I was really lucky, no real problems. The bottoms of my feet still feel like they're made of leather and, of course, I lost my hair. The treatments affected my appetite for the first 6 weeks. I had one bout of anemia that sent me to the hopital for blood transfusions. There was no nausea or mouth sores either. I guess each person reacts differently.

Good luck to your wife and you.
  • mickeymom
    mickeymom Member Posts: 117
    Taxol isn't too bad
    Taxol was easier than A/C but it still had it moments. I did 4 Taxol after 4 of A/C. The pre-meds were different and seemed directed at keeping away an allergic reaction. Taxol has to be mixed in something different for infusion and many people have allergic reactions to it. I had reactions during the infusion which were pretty scary, but they just stopped the flow for a while and gave me more steroids. It was always enough to get me through the treatment.

Water is exactly right - lots of it! Water began to taste bad to me before I started Taxol so my nutritionist recommended Crystal Lite lemonade in my water bottles. Worked great to keep my hydrated.

I also suffered from Neuropathy - mainly in my left hand and right foot. I started feeling numbness in my fingers and foot right after the first treatement. The nutritionist suggested taking Vitamin B6 for that. I don't know if it would keep it away entirely. In my case it didn't make the neuropathy go away, but it never got any worse after that. I also took Glutamine powder - I don't know if it worked or not and it's really expensive. It's also supposed to help with neuropathy. I tried Claitin and it didn't work, but the chemo nurses really recommended it so it's probably worth a try.

My only other side effect was terrible joint and muscle pain that started two days after the treatment and lasted for about 24-36 hours. It was tough and over the counter stuff didn't touch it. I tried Vicodin once but it didn't really do anything either. The only thing that really eased it a little was massage and stretching. Both seemed to help some.

Good luck! It will be over soon and I'm nearly a year out from Taxol and my neuropathy is nearly gone.
  • carkris
    mickeymom said:

Taxol isn't too bad
    Taxol was easier than A/C but it still had it moments. I did 4 Taxol after 4 of A/C. The pre-meds were different and seemed directed at keeping away an allergic reaction. Taxol has to be mixed in something different for infusion and many people have allergic reactions to it. I had reactions during the infusion which were pretty scary, but they just stopped the flow for a while and gave me more steroids. It was always enough to get me through the treatment.

Water is exactly right - lots of it! Water began to taste bad to me before I started Taxol so my nutritionist recommended Crystal Lite lemonade in my water bottles. Worked great to keep my hydrated.

I also suffered from Neuropathy - mainly in my left hand and right foot. I started feeling numbness in my fingers and foot right after the first treatement. The nutritionist suggested taking Vitamin B6 for that. I don't know if it would keep it away entirely. In my case it didn't make the neuropathy go away, but it never got any worse after that. I also took Glutamine powder - I don't know if it worked or not and it's really expensive. It's also supposed to help with neuropathy. I tried Claitin and it didn't work, but the chemo nurses really recommended it so it's probably worth a try.

My only other side effect was terrible joint and muscle pain that started two days after the treatment and lasted for about 24-36 hours. It was tough and over the counter stuff didn't touch it. I tried Vicodin once but it didn't really do anything either. The only thing that really eased it a little was massage and stretching. Both seemed to help some.

Good luck! It will be over soon and I'm nearly a year out from Taxol and my neuropathy is nearly gone.

mickeymom that is good to
    mickeymom that is good to know about the PN as i still have it and it is slowly improviing. but I need to go back to work, anyways popped in to wish donna good luck on the Taxol!
  • Hubby
    Hubby Member Posts: 325
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the good wishes and advice. I'm going to tomorrow's treatment; Donna is kind of nervous about possible allergic reactions to the Taxol, so she wants me there. It's going to be a long day.

Bob
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Hubby said:

Thanks
    Thanks for all the good wishes and advice. I'm going to tomorrow's treatment; Donna is kind of nervous about possible allergic reactions to the Taxol, so she wants me there. It's going to be a long day.

Bob

Sorry i dont have any advise
    Sorry i dont have any advise on the Taxol cuz i didnt have that...just want to tell ya to hang in there Bob and tell Donna good luck and hope theres no reactions.
  • Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    jo jo said:

Sorry i dont have any advise
    Sorry i dont have any advise on the Taxol cuz i didnt have that...just want to tell ya to hang in there Bob and tell Donna good luck and hope theres no reactions.

Donna and Hubby
    Just go tomorrow with positive attitudes! If you ask others about their side effects, you could hear anything from "horror stories" to "fairy tales". Chances are you'll be somewhere between the two.

In a pre-chemo drip, I received Benadryl, Pepcid, and Decadron just before the Taxol. My onc said all of these are just to help your body cope. Best wishes. MM
  • Babysteps
    Babysteps Member Posts: 15
    Taxol
    I finished Taxol after 4 mos in july.Chemo isn't the Freddie Kreuger of years past.I went to each treatment alone by choice.She'll do better than you probably expect.I did a lot of ginger ale slushies and crushed ice for hydration.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Babysteps said:

Taxol
    I finished Taxol after 4 mos in july.Chemo isn't the Freddie Kreuger of years past.I went to each treatment alone by choice.She'll do better than you probably expect.I did a lot of ginger ale slushies and crushed ice for hydration.

Donna may also try .. adding blueberry juice, or cranapple
    to her water .. perhaps you can freeze the juices into cubes and Donna can add to her water, to spice up her water! Water gets boring so quickly .. however, it is so vital to for our chemo treatments.

Freeze strawberries, lipton tea to go pouches, crystal lite add to water .. anything to spice up Donna's water.

Good Luck .. Hubby

Vicki Sam
  • carkris
    VickiSam said:

Donna may also try .. adding blueberry juice, or cranapple
    to her water .. perhaps you can freeze the juices into cubes and Donna can add to her water, to spice up her water! Water gets boring so quickly .. however, it is so vital to for our chemo treatments.

Freeze strawberries, lipton tea to go pouches, crystal lite add to water .. anything to spice up Donna's water.

Good Luck .. Hubby

Vicki Sam

I got those premeds too and
    I got those premeds too and even though I felt off, i didnt need to take meds for nausea after. I hope she is doing ok.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    carkris said:

I got those premeds too and
    I got those premeds too and even though I felt off, i didnt need to take meds for nausea after. I hope she is doing ok.

Keep in mind...
    That if it's too rough for her they can do weekly treatments that have almost no side effects for most women. I did 12 treatments and worked every single day (5th gr teacher) and never got sick at all. Minimal side effects. Good luck, and please keep us posted.