Biopsy

2»

Comments

• Trew
    Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
    ejn said:

BD
    That is exactly why I had him put me out for the 2nd biopsy. He told me he was going to take 36 cores and there was no way I was going to lay there for that. The after was still ugly but at least I didnt have to feel him up in me for that length of time. I think I was out for 1-1/2 hours during the procedure. I am also glad to be done with those, but my surgery is not for another week.

36!!!
    I always confess as

36!!!

I always confess as quickly as I can before these kind of procedures get started, I hand over all credit card and banking accounts and names and addesses of everyone I know at the start of the procedure- just makes things go easier.

Wow! 36. Would you even need surgery after that many samples?
  • Skid Row Tom
    Skid Row Tom Member Posts: 125
    Trew said:

36!!!
    I always confess as

36!!!

I always confess as quickly as I can before these kind of procedures get started, I hand over all credit card and banking accounts and names and addesses of everyone I know at the start of the procedure- just makes things go easier.

Wow! 36. Would you even need surgery after that many samples?

36! Ouch!!
    36! I agree with Trew -- it seems like "36" would shred the prostate and you could just poop it out.

Prior to entering the examination room, I called work and asked if I could get a surrogate. There were no takers, so in I went. If there was a "next time", I'd take my own AstroLube.
  • hopeful and optimistic
    hopeful and optimistic Member Posts: 2,339 Member
    ejn said:

BD
    That is exactly why I had him put me out for the 2nd biopsy. He told me he was going to take 36 cores and there was no way I was going to lay there for that. The after was still ugly but at least I didnt have to feel him up in me for that length of time. I think I was out for 1-1/2 hours during the procedure. I am also glad to be done with those, but my surgery is not for another week.

New technology
    A few institutions have a three dimensional guided biopsy machine, so one can go back to the same spot in the future , and target suspicious spots....in my case, I had an MRI before the biopsy where suspicious spots where identified, the biopsy machine with ultrasound capability was able to target these sites......so there were 3 targeted sites and 12 non targeted cores..........this makes the biopsy that one gets more effecient, thus reducing the amount of cores needed.

Ira
  • ejn
    ejn Member Posts: 64

36! Ouch!!
    36! I agree with Trew -- it seems like "36" would shred the prostate and you could just poop it out.

Prior to entering the examination room, I called work and asked if I could get a surrogate. There were no takers, so in I went. If there was a "next time", I'd take my own AstroLube.

Yes OUCH!!
    It really did take weeks for the bleeding to stop and the pain was nasty. I did end up with an infection after and was on antibiotics for awhile. The blood in the semen was another issue, it seemed to be there forever. I would never do this again and I was almost relieved when he called and said they found something.
  • ProfWagstaff
    ProfWagstaff Member Posts: 98 Member
    Biopsy Humor
    It is possible to find some humor - even in this procedure. I may have mentioned before that my brother was diagnosed with PCa 7 months before I was. We compared notes every time I passed another milepost in the road to treatment and recovery. Our biopsies were done by differernt doctors in different cities so we were comparing notes after mine was done. I told him about the restrictions that were placed on me afterward - no riding motorocycles or bicycles for a week, no riding lawnmowers, no heavy lifting, no strenuous exercise, etc." My brother said that he wasn't told any of that so after leaving his urologist's office, he resumed his daily routine of 4-mile runs. Three days later, he was at a sporting event and using the urinal trough in the mens room when, of course, he produced a red stream. Men on both sides of him slowly moved away from him in fear. Without missing a beat, my brother said, "What? That's not normal?" I still get a chuckle out of that.