Any one on this cocktail

smalldoggroomer
smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Taxotere, Carboplatin, Herceptin. 6 rounds 3 weeks apart Herceptin for a year then after Chemo another one for 5 years ( pill forgot the name )Oncologist said I am progesterone and estrogen neg in breast and progesterone pos in lymph nodes. I have to say this is all confusing. Have to have a test to check my heart. Chemo starts on the 29th. What side affects did any one on this cocktail have.

Comments

• JanInMN
    JanInMN Member Posts: 149
    That's my cocktail!
    The med I am taking after all my herceptin is Tamoxofin. I know there are a few different ones you can be prescribed based on whether or not you have gone through menopause.

As for side effects: my nausea was kept in check by meds. I was quite tired starting 2 days after chemo for 2-5 days (longer toward round 5 and 6). I had dry mouth every time, and mouth sores (only once), a runny nose usually a week after chemo that lasted about 6 days and gave me "cuts" inside my nose, finger swelling would come and go, and of course the hair is mostly gone. Right now I am done with chemo and on Herceptin. Reconstruction starts in July (expanders then implants)

I had a MUGA scan to check my heart before chemo, and more recently an echocardiogram. They check my heart every 3 months or so. For the secone one I asked for an echo because I wanted to avoid more radiation.

Good luck!
    Hugs!
    Jan
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    JanInMN said:

That's my cocktail!
    The med I am taking after all my herceptin is Tamoxofin. I know there are a few different ones you can be prescribed based on whether or not you have gone through menopause.

As for side effects: my nausea was kept in check by meds. I was quite tired starting 2 days after chemo for 2-5 days (longer toward round 5 and 6). I had dry mouth every time, and mouth sores (only once), a runny nose usually a week after chemo that lasted about 6 days and gave me "cuts" inside my nose, finger swelling would come and go, and of course the hair is mostly gone. Right now I am done with chemo and on Herceptin. Reconstruction starts in July (expanders then implants)

I had a MUGA scan to check my heart before chemo, and more recently an echocardiogram. They check my heart every 3 months or so. For the secone one I asked for an echo because I wanted to avoid more radiation.

Good luck!
    Hugs!
    Jan

I did AC and then Taxol with
    I did AC and then Taxol with herceptin, continuing with herceptin for the year and doing the 5 year pill Tamoxifen.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    JanInMN said:

That's my cocktail!

Good luck!
    Hugs!
    Jan

I didn't have chemo, but,
    I didn't have chemo, but, want to wish you good luck with it!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Don't know. I didn't have
    Don't know. I didn't have any of those. I had A/C followed by Taxol and radiation. Now on Femara for a year but probably much longer.
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Cocktail
    Being Triple negative, no herceptin for me, but I did have 6 rounds of carboplain and taxotere. With the anti nausea med she put in the bag first and the pills afterwards, I never got sick to my stomach until the night after the last chemo, and all I did was a little spit up. My side effects were the usual, hair loss and loss of taste buds. Everything tasted like cardboard, which made it difficult to eat. I lived on broth and soups where the meat and veggies were so soft they slid down my throat, which gave them some taste having bypassed the taste buds. After I finished chemo, the hair started back and within a month I was starting to taste things agaon.
    Pat
  • geobarb22
    geobarb22 Member Posts: 17
    that is my cocktail also!
    I have had 5 rounds of taxotere, carboplatin, and hercepterin, same schedule that you will have. My last round is this THursday! Yeah, I survived! My typical side effects were as follows: Starting about the third day after chemo - some nausea, dizziness (which the meds they prescribed helped, but made me sleepy). I had mouth sores the first time, but now they give me a Neulasta shot the day after chemo that builds up my while blood cells. As someone else said, food tastes like cardboard. I could not eat any spicy foods, acidic foods (like tomato sauce) or most vinegar based salad dressings (which I prefer). Ate alot of soup, fruit, yogurt, peanut butter, eggs, and ice cream :). The only food I can taste is sweets (which I actually do not like, but have grown to like). Usually, I feel pretty good within 12 days and could eat more normal foods. The last chemo (5th) sapped my energy alot more that the first 4, I anticipate this last one will hit me hard also. AND or course, I lost most of my hair. But, all in all, it was manageable. You will make it though just fine. Good luck.