DRAT - hair is coming back as dark as it ever was!

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was so hoping that all the chemo would make/let my hair come back white/gray. I knew that it was finally starting back but I was pretending that it wasn't still dark brown/almost black but Hubby, Son and 'Son' made me accept that it's still what it was - not what an old (63+ y/o) women should have naturally - very dark hair is genetic in Daddy's side of the family though. OH HA Well - it'll grow the way it wants to!

Comments

• Sharon40
    Sharon40 Member Posts: 93
    Options
    I'll gladly trade!
    Mine is coming back with a lot of gray! I used to pay to have that covered . . . and it looks like I will be paying again (soon I hope)!!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    Me, too!
    I'd trade! While no gray runs in my family, I pay the hairdresser to take mine away.

Sue
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Rague, I was also hoping my
    Rague, I was also hoping my hair would come back white. All of my mother's sisters have this beautiful, white, multifaceted hair. My mother got the salt/pepper and that's what I'd been paying to have covered. I don't have much growing back yet, have one more round of T/C but what stubble I do have is dark. Like u said, it'll do what it wants. I guess I'll just be glad to have hair.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    GayleMc said:

Rague, I was also hoping my
    Rague, I was also hoping my hair would come back white. All of my mother's sisters have this beautiful, white, multifaceted hair. My mother got the salt/pepper and that's what I'd been paying to have covered. I don't have much growing back yet, have one more round of T/C but what stubble I do have is dark. Like u said, it'll do what it wants. I guess I'll just be glad to have hair.

Mom had gorgeous white hair
    Mom had gorgeous white hair (once she quite coloring it which Daddy said that she had done since she was in high school) as did all of her relatives (men and women, in varing shade of white/silver/gray). Daddy's side of the family all kept this dark 'stuff' til they died, many in their late 90's. So guess I'm stuck with it just hope I'm stuck with the 90+ years. It does get agravating though to be told by strangers in stores that I shouldn't dye my hair so dark - COME ON - GET REAL - I DON"T! And then to get the "wink wink" "Whatever you say" when I tell them sorry that's how it grows.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Mom had gorgeous white hair
    Mom had gorgeous white hair (once she quite coloring it which Daddy said that she had done since she was in high school) as did all of her relatives (men and women, in varing shade of white/silver/gray). Daddy's side of the family all kept this dark 'stuff' til they died, many in their late 90's. So guess I'm stuck with it just hope I'm stuck with the 90+ years. It does get agravating though to be told by strangers in stores that I shouldn't dye my hair so dark - COME ON - GET REAL - I DON"T! And then to get the "wink wink" "Whatever you say" when I tell them sorry that's how it grows.

Gorgeous Dark Hair
    Your post made me laugh, as I would love to have dark hair. Mine came back a very dull black and gray. I hurried to get it colored darker as soon as I could.

Like you, I was hoping that my hair would come back differently--curly hair sounded fun for a change. But no. What is that song...You Can't Always Get What You Want.. Oh well, Joe reminds me that at least I now have hair to complain about. How soon we forget our nude head days!

All the best,
    Moops
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Hair
    Mine came in a ugly gray with yellow strands.now it has changed to a pretty gray,tad of white and black.It looks like I had gray hair highlighted.I get alot of compliments on it now.I was used to having it kepy dyed a med. aulburn.I have had several people say they would love to have this color.I will try to get a picture of it and post it..I am just happy to have hair.I know you are two.
  • Flakey_Flake
    Flakey_Flake Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Whiter than Ever!

Mine is coming in more white than when it went out. I'm going to just let it go natural. I'll call it "sunbleached" :) (Ha - like anyone would believe it!) I just wish it would nave come in thicker. It is a little over 1/2 inch, and can still see the scalp in some spots.