SLICONE GEL OR SALINEI

lizziejane
lizziejane Member Posts: 69
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'M TRYING TO DECIDE BETWEEN SALINE OR SILICONE, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHICH THEY HAD AND IF THEY ARE HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS....HAS ANYONE HAD ANY RUPTURES?
THANKS

Comments

• CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111
    Silicone
    Hi Lizziejane -

I will be having my implants after everything is finished, but I have decided on silicone. It is what my PS recommended, and he has samples in his office. I only had right mastectomy, so they are trying to match natural with reconstructed. The silicone has a more natural "droop", and the saline can have waves or ripples. I am not sure if I will be happy with the results, but this is what I am planning. Also my DH went with me and he thought the silicone felt better also.

Ask your PS if they have samples and what their recommendations are, sometimes they bring up things you may have not even thought of.

Good Luck! - Carrie
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

Silicone
    Hi Lizziejane -

I will be having my implants after everything is finished, but I have decided on silicone. It is what my PS recommended, and he has samples in his office. I only had right mastectomy, so they are trying to match natural with reconstructed. The silicone has a more natural "droop", and the saline can have waves or ripples. I am not sure if I will be happy with the results, but this is what I am planning. Also my DH went with me and he thought the silicone felt better also.

Ask your PS if they have samples and what their recommendations are, sometimes they bring up things you may have not even thought of.

Good Luck! - Carrie

I had a lumpectomy, but,
    I had a lumpectomy, but, just wanted to wish you good luck with your decision. Hopefully, others will respond to your post.

Hugs, Megan
  • Kim59
    Kim59 Member Posts: 43
    Silicone for me
    I will be having my final implants in May. I have decided to go with the silicone. That is what the plastic surgeon is recommending. I guess they look and feel more natural. I have a friend that has had both and she told me to go with silicone. Her saline implants "rippled"

Hope that helps.
  • lizziejane
    Kim59 said:

Silicone for me
    I will be having my final implants in May. I have decided to go with the silicone. That is what the plastic surgeon is recommending. I guess they look and feel more natural. I have a friend that has had both and she told me to go with silicone. Her saline implants "rippled"

Hope that helps.

SILICONE OR SALINE
    I'M WANTING TO GO WITH THE SILICONE, BUT, HAS YOUR PS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GETTING AN MRI--3 YEARS AFTER SURGERY AND THEN, EVERY TWO YEARS AFTER THAT.....WHAT EXACTLY IS AN MRI, IS IT WHERE THEY PUT YOU IN THE KIND OF TUNNEL THING AND DOES IT ONLY INVOLVE X-RAYS OR IS THERE MORE TO IT THAN THAT
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Went with Silicone
    I was going to go with Saline but changed my mind 4 days prior to surgery. My PS recommended Silicone and I am thrilled that I listened to him. I have the Mentor Memory Gel. They feel great. It is now 2 years that they were placed in my body.

Your doctor should have a sample of both for you to look at and touch.

Let us know what you decide.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508

SILICONE OR SALINE
    I'M WANTING TO GO WITH THE SILICONE, BUT, HAS YOUR PS SAID ANYTHING ABOUT GETTING AN MRI--3 YEARS AFTER SURGERY AND THEN, EVERY TWO YEARS AFTER THAT.....WHAT EXACTLY IS AN MRI, IS IT WHERE THEY PUT YOU IN THE KIND OF TUNNEL THING AND DOES IT ONLY INVOLVE X-RAYS OR IS THERE MORE TO IT THAN THAT

MRI
    Yes, Lizzie, an MRI is a tunnel-type machine that takes x-rays. They inject you with a solution and it enters your body about 1/2 through the procedure. You are in there about a half hour. It is open on both sides. I tend to have a panic attack but this time took a xanex before going and it helped a bit. Why do they do this? Is it because they need to see better with the silicone in there? I will be going through this down the road and haven't decided what I'm doing yet either. Mar
  • CarrWilson
    CarrWilson Member Posts: 111

SILICONE OR SALINE

MRI
    Here is a good link:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_resonance_imaging

Simple, relatively painless, and gives the MD a lot of additional information above and beyond mammogram.

Good luck - Carrie
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950

Went with Silicone
    I was going to go with Saline but changed my mind 4 days prior to surgery. My PS recommended Silicone and I am thrilled that I listened to him. I have the Mentor Memory Gel. They feel great. It is now 2 years that they were placed in my body.

Your doctor should have a sample of both for you to look at and touch.

Let us know what you decide.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle

I wish I could have silicone
    I wish I could have silicone but my surgeon says my real boobie is too big(width and length) and the silicone implant wont be big enough...even after he reduces the real one.He ordered 800 cc saline's for me today and I'll have the expander out and the implant put in on the right breast next Tuesday. I have to go back for the reduction on the other breastn in April.So if you have a large frame and big boobies naturally, like me, you might have to go with saline. I'll let you know how mine turn out, : )
  • angel46
    angel46 Member Posts: 13
    I've had Both
    I got gel after my mastectomy,double. but I had saline before I got b c. I love these gel implants! they are softer more real feeling. Best of luck Ang
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    silicone....saved my life...
    I had implants from the time when Dolly Parton was getting her second set...it was a time for BIG breasts...lol...

I have had them for 20 years. Above muscle, because back then, under muscle was just being tried....Now, how did they save me? Well, the lump with cancer rode on top of the implant, making it impossible for the invasion of my chest wall...the capsule around the implant was invaded, but nothing deeper...

I love the way my implants look and feel, even after 20 years...as others have said, they look VERY natural, and I (in my younger, wilder days, lol) often went braless with my 'perky' breasts...

Hope this helps....

Hugs, Kathi
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • lizziejane
    Marlene_K said:

MRI
    Yes, Lizzie, an MRI is a tunnel-type machine that takes x-rays. They inject you with a solution and it enters your body about 1/2 through the procedure. You are in there about a half hour. It is open on both sides. I tend to have a panic attack but this time took a xanex before going and it helped a bit. Why do they do this? Is it because they need to see better with the silicone in there? I will be going through this down the road and haven't decided what I'm doing yet either. Mar

SILICONE
    I BELIEVE THEY DO IT WITH THE SILICONE, BECAUSE IF YOU HAVE A SILENT RUPTURE, THE SILICONE TENDS TO STAY IN THE CHEST AREA WHERE THE INPLANT IS, SO IT MAY NOT BE NOTICED THAT IT IS LEAKING----WHEREAS WITH THE SALINE, SINCE IT IS MORE LIQUID, IT WILL SEEP INTO YOUR BODY AND YOU WILL GO FLAT.
  • lizziejane
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

SILICONE
    I HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE COHESIVE GEL, WILL ASK MY PC WHEN I SEE HIM.. I HAVE PRETTY MUCH DECIDED ON THE SILICONE, HOPEFULLY, I WILL NEVER NEED ANOTHER INPLANT DONE. EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK THAT THE SILICONE IS MUCH BETTER..
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868

SILICONE
    I HAVEN'T HEARD OF THE COHESIVE GEL, WILL ASK MY PC WHEN I SEE HIM.. I HAVE PRETTY MUCH DECIDED ON THE SILICONE, HOPEFULLY, I WILL NEVER NEED ANOTHER INPLANT DONE. EVERYONE SEEMS TO THINK THAT THE SILICONE IS MUCH BETTER..

I Hate to Burst Your Bubble
    Implants do not last a life time. No matter which one you get - saline or silicone - its life expectancy is anywhere from 15-20 years. Maybe with the new memory gel silicone implants its life span could be more. So...in 20 years from now you may need to replace them with new ones. This is what my plastic surgeon told me. Double check with your plastic surgeon.

Hugs,
    Janelle
  • LovingLife55
    LovingLife55 Member Posts: 2
    My PS recommended saline. I
    My PS recommended saline. I have had mine for almost 2 years and no ripples.