Swimsuits - where to find a cute one?

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have to find a swimsuit by mid May to take G-daughter to WaTiki Water Park for her birthday - we do it every year. All the site's I've found that show post mastectomy suits have ones that I'm not about to wear - too OLD/matonly looking. I'm OLD yes - but I don't dress my age. So any ideas for younger looking swim suits. I'm thinking that I might have to make my own (have done in my youth when I'd get an idea and couldn't find anything close) or get a 'suitable'/do-able 'regular' suit and add a pocket.

Ideas please!

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Hi, Rague. I don't need a
    Hi, Rague. I don't need a mastectomy suit but when I saw you're post I thought I'd just check it out. I found a site www.parkmastectomy.com that had some very nice looking swimsuits. Everything from bikini's to tankini's to one-piece suits. Some are only available in certain sizes but not matronly looking. Good luck!!
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    MyTurnNow said:

Hi, Rague. I don't need a mastectomy suit but when I saw you're post I thought I'd just check it out. I found a site www.parkmastectomy.com that had some very nice looking swimsuits. Everything from bikini's to tankini's to one-piece suits. Some are only available in certain sizes but not matronly looking. Good luck!!

Swim Suits
    Lands End also has mastectomy suits. Tankini as well as regular suits. I bought 2 after my surgery and they did the trick and I don't think they were too matronly! Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    cruf said:

Swim Suits
    Lands End also has mastectomy suits. Tankini as well as regular suits. I bought 2 after my surgery and they did the trick and I don't think they were too matronly! Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy

Did you check out the ASC
    Did you check out the ASC site? I know they offer some clothes, but, not for sure if they have swimsuits or not. Also, my cancer center has clothing, wigs and everything. You might check that out too if you have a cancer center near you. Good luck!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    MyTurnNow said:

This is a great site,
    This is a great site, MyTurn! I thought I would be foregoing any bathing suits this year, but I saw a couple suits on here I would definitely wear! Thanks for posting!
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Marlene_K said:

This is a great site,
    This is a great site, MyTurn! I thought I would be foregoing any bathing suits this year, but I saw a couple suits on here I would definitely wear! Thanks for posting!

Lands' End
    I'm a lifelong Lands' End shopper -- great quality, and outstanding customer service.

Out of curiosity, I just typed "mastectomy" into their search box on their homepage (www.landsend.com), and 17 suits came up that come in pocketed mastectomy styles -- and ooh la la, they're NOT matronly at all! Definitely check them out!

Traci
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    TraciInLA said:

Lands' End
    I'm a lifelong Lands' End shopper -- great quality, and outstanding customer service.

Out of curiosity, I just typed "mastectomy" into their search box on their homepage (www.landsend.com), and 17 suits came up that come in pocketed mastectomy styles -- and ooh la la, they're NOT matronly at all! Definitely check them out!

Traci

Land's End
    I went to Land's End also but just about every suit modeled has cleavage and, of course, all the models have boobs, lol. Not sure what they would look like on an actual mastectomy patient. I thought anything that wasn't matronly looking required boobs, or maybe I'm just really wishing I had them.
  • StarWish624
    StarWish624 Member Posts: 7
    Breast form for water
    I read that an easy, cheap, and fun way to fill the "cup" of your swimsuit is to use one of the net scrubbies that you use for bathing. I just cut a slit in the lining of my regular suit, and pushed the netting ball in. I sewed the opening up. You may need more than one for larger breasts, or to match remaining ones.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

My cancer center has them
    My cancer center has them and there also specialty stores in my area that favor bc survivors with the clothing. You might ask your oncologist if he knows of one.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Breast form for water
    I read that an easy, cheap, and fun way to fill the "cup" of your swimsuit is to use one of the net scrubbies that you use for bathing. I just cut a slit in the lining of my regular suit, and pushed the netting ball in. I sewed the opening up. You may need more than one for larger breasts, or to match remaining ones.

i bough a lands end tankini,
    I bought a lands end tankini, it looks fine. amenoa (sp) makes them, same company as breast prosthesis. You can find regular ones and sew a pocket into it. My tankini was not too low.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member

Breast form for water

StarWish......
    Thanks for the tip!

I asked about this where I got my mastectomy bras and prosthesis...what do I use when I swim?
    They said if it's just an occasional swim, us my prosthesis, that it won't hurt it at all. I don't know if anyone else has used theirs to swim, and am a little concerned that it will harm it.

Anyone???

CR
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    CR1954 said:

StarWish......
    Thanks for the tip!

I asked about this where I got my mastectomy bras and prosthesis...what do I use when I swim?
    They said if it's just an occasional swim, us my prosthesis, that it won't hurt it at all. I don't know if anyone else has used theirs to swim, and am a little concerned that it will harm it.

Anyone???

CR

I have used it and it hasnt
    I have used it and it hasnt bothered it. but the pool I swim in has salt water so I will get the swim prosthesis even though Iheard they fill up with water!!!!
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    carkris said:

I have used it and it hasnt
    I have used it and it hasnt bothered it. but the pool I swim in has salt water so I will get the swim prosthesis even though Iheard they fill up with water!!!!

Oh my....
    Well, as long as it won't sink you! LOL!!

I only get in the pool once a week or so in the summer, so I guess it may be ok to use my regular one.

Thanks carkris!

CR
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    CR1954 said:

Oh my....
    Well, as long as it won't sink you! LOL!!

I only get in the pool once a week or so in the summer, so I guess it may be ok to use my regular one.

Thanks carkris!

CR

Specialty shops?
    I found one at a local specialty swim shop. It is made by "Sirena" boy the name says it all...I looked like a smashing Bond girl in my suit!! It covered everything it needed to and left a little peek~a~boo spot with a big silver circle adornment. Try googling the name, and see what you come up with. I felt like a million bucks in it when I wore it. I am heading back to the store to see what else I can find. The store is called Fircrest Swim Shop, and they carry Resort wear and swim suits of all styles and sizes. I don't know if they have a web site, try googling that one too. It is a small town business. Good luck~ your suit is out there!! I believe it for you!
    Melanie
  • leb747
    leb747 Member Posts: 4

Specialty shops?
    I found one at a local specialty swim shop. It is made by "Sirena" boy the name says it all...I looked like a smashing Bond girl in my suit!! It covered everything it needed to and left a little peek~a~boo spot with a big silver circle adornment. Try googling the name, and see what you come up with. I felt like a million bucks in it when I wore it. I am heading back to the store to see what else I can find. The store is called Fircrest Swim Shop, and they carry Resort wear and swim suits of all styles and sizes. I don't know if they have a web site, try googling that one too. It is a small town business. Good luck~ your suit is out there!! I believe it for you!
    Melanie

swimsuit
    i stumbled across one in a discount store, (Bealls' Fla.)! otherwise , i kept my nicest suits and fit them with "pockets" for my forms. once in a while i'll pickup a cute high backed suit so i can wear my bra with forms under it.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    leb747 said:

swimsuit
    i stumbled across one in a discount store, (Bealls' Fla.)! otherwise , i kept my nicest suits and fit them with "pockets" for my forms. once in a while i'll pickup a cute high backed suit so i can wear my bra with forms under it.

I got a swimsuit and just tucked my prosthesis in
    to the bra section of it. As long as I don't try to do anything too active I think it would stay. Here's a picture of it:
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1434/4553174062_30ee165ac9_b.jpg

edit: for some reason the site blocks out ^ the the . j p g after the "b". and won't even let me post the letters all together.

I got it at girls4sport.com