BC and COPD

crissy1234
crissy1234 Member Posts: 10
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I will be having surgery in the next few weeks and am really scared because I also have COPD. I am not on oxygen, but I am on Sprivia and Albutesol. Has anyone else had surgery and COPD? What should I tell the anesthesiologist?

Comments

• Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Crissy
    Hello & Welcome
    Having surgery IS scary enough, let alone having other health issues that add to the fear in the process.
    I would tell your anesthesiologist just what you mentioned. What you have, what you are on and the dosage. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Emphysema, however, I haven't use an inhaler for many years, and haven't taken any meds for it. To top it off-Yes, I smoke! :-( But, I do tell them whenever I have surgery this info so they can decide what to use accordingly. When I had my port installed, I was congested so they gave me a breathing treatment before I went in and it cleared me right up. I have never had any problems with the anesthesia.
    I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much, you'll be fine!
    Hugz,
    Cathy
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    Cat64 said:

Crissy
    Hello & Welcome
    Having surgery IS scary enough, let alone having other health issues that add to the fear in the process.
    I would tell your anesthesiologist just what you mentioned. What you have, what you are on and the dosage. Several years ago I was diagnosed with Emphysema, however, I haven't use an inhaler for many years, and haven't taken any meds for it. To top it off-Yes, I smoke! :-( But, I do tell them whenever I have surgery this info so they can decide what to use accordingly. When I had my port installed, I was congested so they gave me a breathing treatment before I went in and it cleared me right up. I have never had any problems with the anesthesia.
    I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry too much, you'll be fine!
    Hugz,
    Cathy

Hi Crissy,
    I also will be

Hi Crissy,
    I also will be having surgery in a few weeks and have COPD and Asthma. Before you have surgery the anesthesiologist will get in touch with you and go over any health issues and medication you take. I had surgery a few years ago and made it thru fine. They will be aware of your condition and take that into consideration when they decide what meds to use. I also have diabetes and its another factor. Just be sure and mention any medical problems you have. Wishing you the best. Please keep us posted.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Sunrae said:

Hi Crissy,
    I also will be

Hi Crissy,
    I also will be having surgery in a few weeks and have COPD and Asthma. Before you have surgery the anesthesiologist will get in touch with you and go over any health issues and medication you take. I had surgery a few years ago and made it thru fine. They will be aware of your condition and take that into consideration when they decide what meds to use. I also have diabetes and its another factor. Just be sure and mention any medical problems you have. Wishing you the best. Please keep us posted.

Hi Crissy! I just wanted to
    Hi Crissy! I just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery! Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

Megan