Smoking

Marlene_K
Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I would imagine most on here do not smoke or probably have not smoked since diagnosis. I am, unfortunately, very addicted. I have quit for a few weeks at most only to return to smoking. It's making me absolutely NUTS! I want to stop. I NEED to stop. My PCP originally told me he didn't want to put me on Chantix because there is a high risk for depression and with my diagnosis, he was afraid. Now, several months later, he says I can go on it but I should ask my Oncologist. I did and he very nonchalantly said 'I don't have a problem with it'. I just hope he knows what he's talking about. I wouldn't want to take this and later find out there's some sort of reaction because of the mixture with chemo.

Has anyone here ever taken Chantix while on chemo?

Comments

• marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132
    chantrix
    The good thing about chantrix is you can always stop taking the pill. At least you asked your doctors and they said it's ok. I took chantrix, it really helps to quit, there can be side affects as to anything, its not as worse as chemo tho. I got stomach aches from taking it but kept thinking I would rather have a stomach ache than to smoke. I really wish you strength to quit. Its another battle to face, I hate it like i hate cancer. Set yourself up with every thing you need. I found having a hot cup of lemon zinge tea at night helped, it gave me something to do with my hands and it was hot and kept my mind off of having a smoke. I also bought me long cinnamon sticks, kept them by my side, i could grab one anytime and gnaw away on it when needed. I know the strongholds smoking has on a person, like they say its easier to get off herion than smoking. Depression, going through chemo and the affects of that and everything else your going through, thats a tuff one. I wish I could take depression away from everyone. Will you be facing surgery soon and radiation? If you want to talk more about smoking and quiting feel free to email me, marywest8888@yahoo.com I really wish you the best.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    marywest said:

chantrix
    The good thing about chantrix is you can always stop taking the pill. At least you asked your doctors and they said it's ok. I took chantrix, it really helps to quit, there can be side affects as to anything, its not as worse as chemo tho. I got stomach aches from taking it but kept thinking I would rather have a stomach ache than to smoke. I really wish you strength to quit. Its another battle to face, I hate it like i hate cancer. Set yourself up with every thing you need. I found having a hot cup of lemon zinge tea at night helped, it gave me something to do with my hands and it was hot and kept my mind off of having a smoke. I also bought me long cinnamon sticks, kept them by my side, i could grab one anytime and gnaw away on it when needed. I know the strongholds smoking has on a person, like they say its easier to get off herion than smoking. Depression, going through chemo and the affects of that and everything else your going through, thats a tuff one. I wish I could take depression away from everyone. Will you be facing surgery soon and radiation? If you want to talk more about smoking and quiting feel free to email me, marywest8888@yahoo.com I really wish you the best.

OK Here goes...........
    I smoke... I had breast cancer and I still smoke. My oncologist confirmed that my cancer was NOT linked to smoking.

So why should I give this up when I have already given up so much to cancer?

My Onco said my cancer was probably hormonal...........borderline/ not sure..........should I give up being a woman?.........Drinking?...Eating nice tasting stuff?...

Until I am ready to stop, I won't do it.......I also take antidepressants......

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    tasha_111 said:

OK Here goes...........
    I smoke... I had breast cancer and I still smoke. My oncologist confirmed that my cancer was NOT linked to smoking.

So why should I give this up when I have already given up so much to cancer?

My Onco said my cancer was probably hormonal...........borderline/ not sure..........should I give up being a woman?.........Drinking?...Eating nice tasting stuff?...

Until I am ready to stop, I won't do it.......I also take antidepressants......

Hugs Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Good luck Marilyn! I know
    Good luck Marilyn! I know it is hard to quit. I am an X smoker. But, I had one cancer, why would I want another one is the way I look at it. You can do it. Someone said once to always take a little bit longer to have that smoke. Like if you want one now, wait a minute longer and then keep making that time longer and longer apart. Maybe that will help some? Good luck!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    DianeBC said:

Good luck Marilyn! I know
    Good luck Marilyn! I know it is hard to quit. I am an X smoker. But, I had one cancer, why would I want another one is the way I look at it. You can do it. Someone said once to always take a little bit longer to have that smoke. Like if you want one now, wait a minute longer and then keep making that time longer and longer apart. Maybe that will help some? Good luck!

Hugs, Diane ♥

I think its better if you
    I think its better if you stop smoking but maybe when a less stressful time. I did read something somewhere that it can increase your chances of recurrance.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    carkris said:

I think its better if you
    I think its better if you stop smoking but maybe when a less stressful time. I did read something somewhere that it can increase your chances of recurrance.

I get how addictive smoking is but.....
    Hi All,

I am an ex-smoker and I know how addictive it is. However, smoking is a toxin and I can't believe any doctor should say cancer of any kind couldn't be caused by smoking. Please understand that I am not judging. I was hypnotized to stop drinking wine and am still struggling with that loss. But, I think we need to get real about the dangers of drinking, smoking and all those other deliciously bad habits. We need to value life more than those habits which are definately risky.

The problem with these habits is that we can stop but don't want to badly enough. The question I ask myself is, "Why not!" Why would I risk a reoccurance of cancer. Is the habit THAT important to me. If I had 5 mins. to live, is that what I would do with my time?

Whatever we need to do to "kick" whatever damaging habits we have is worth the effort. It's like staying with an abusive man. There will never be a better time to quit than now. As you can tell, I'm trying to convince myself as well as you. My older sister said cigarettes were her best friends and that she would never quit. Then she developed a severe breathing problem and was told she would not live if she continued to smoke. She has never smoked again. The fear outweighted the desire. When her husband of 50 years died, I was sure she would start up again but she said that the fear of not being able to breath was enough to keep her from starting up again.

I'm sorry for the preaching but I think we all need to control what we can. We CAN control our bad habits with the support of others.

Roseann
  • elizarose
    elizarose Member Posts: 124
    roseann4 said:

I get how addictive smoking is but.....
    Hi All,

I am an ex-smoker and I know how addictive it is. However, smoking is a toxin and I can't believe any doctor should say cancer of any kind couldn't be caused by smoking. Please understand that I am not judging. I was hypnotized to stop drinking wine and am still struggling with that loss. But, I think we need to get real about the dangers of drinking, smoking and all those other deliciously bad habits. We need to value life more than those habits which are definately risky.

The problem with these habits is that we can stop but don't want to badly enough. The question I ask myself is, "Why not!" Why would I risk a reoccurance of cancer. Is the habit THAT important to me. If I had 5 mins. to live, is that what I would do with my time?

Whatever we need to do to "kick" whatever damaging habits we have is worth the effort. It's like staying with an abusive man. There will never be a better time to quit than now. As you can tell, I'm trying to convince myself as well as you. My older sister said cigarettes were her best friends and that she would never quit. Then she developed a severe breathing problem and was told she would not live if she continued to smoke. She has never smoked again. The fear outweighted the desire. When her husband of 50 years died, I was sure she would start up again but she said that the fear of not being able to breath was enough to keep her from starting up again.

I'm sorry for the preaching but I think we all need to control what we can. We CAN control our bad habits with the support of others.

Roseann

Marlene
    I applaud you for wanting to quit! Cigarettes are full of toxins that have been proven to cause cancer. I wish you the best in quitting. Even if you can't quit completely right now due to the stress, maybe you can at least cut down a good bit. My daughter and son-in-law took chantix and I know it cause some mood problems (anger mostly I think.) I think the american cancer society also has online help for those who want to quit smoking. Maybe that would also help.
    Beth
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    elizarose said:

Marlene
    I applaud you for wanting to quit! Cigarettes are full of toxins that have been proven to cause cancer. I wish you the best in quitting. Even if you can't quit completely right now due to the stress, maybe you can at least cut down a good bit. My daughter and son-in-law took chantix and I know it cause some mood problems (anger mostly I think.) I think the american cancer society also has online help for those who want to quit smoking. Maybe that would also help.
    Beth

I have a freind who was so
    I have a freind who was so addicted no matter what he did he could not quit. finally he went to a hypnotist who gave him tapes etc... and had sessions and he had quit for two years. whatever the guy did it helped him and he was hard core. If anyone lives in mass let me know and I can get his name. I though about going to him for weight loss but chemo took care of that!!!! Please too this is not a judgement we all want to help, and I am just glad I dont haver to deal with that and want to help!!!1
  • Marlene_K
    Marlene_K Member Posts: 508
    WOW!!
    Thanks to ALL of you! This is much more than I expected to get on this subject, as I really feel soooo stupid! Like the diagnosis isn't enough to get me to never want a cigarette again? I can relate to so many points you have all made... I understand they have not linked cigarette smoking to breast cancer, but so what? There is solid proof that it causes other cancers and being hit with it should scare me to death and make me never want to be faced with this or any other cancer again. Yes, I also consider cigarettes a looong time friend of mine. Whenever I want to feel at peace, as crazy as it might seem, I turn to my cigarettes... they seem to make me feel so at ease and it paralyzes me if I think I have to say goodbye. I know the addiction is worse than heroin and THAT in and of itself is just ridiculous! I've known many people to be successful on Chantix and I'm hopeful that this could finally be the answer. I truly believe I'm ready... I want to give it up. It's gross, it's smelly and just plain stupid to smoke (yes, I'm trying to convince myself). My kids need me; I want to see my kids get married; I want to one day be a grandmother and I know with all my heart that if I continue to smoke, I will not be here for that.

Thank you all for caring so much that you replied even if you didn't or don't deal with this addiction. It means the WORLD to me that you are such caring and giving people that regardless of what someone posts, you care enough to just plain say you care!

With so much appreciation! Mar
  • karen0423
    karen0423 Member Posts: 67
    Hi- I was dx in 4/02 and
    Hi- I was dx in 4/02 and quit immediately so I could have reconstruction, once I found out I couldn't because of chemo/rads I bought a pack and smoked until 7/14/02 (I did 12 weeks of Herceptin/Navelbine for those 12 weeks prior to my mastectomy.) I quit that day before my surgery for the mastectomy for years and did go back for a while, off and on, but quit again. I haven't smoked in well a year and quit without any drugs, I wanted to have reconstruction and knew I had to quit so I threw the butts away. It wasn't easy, I loved smoking but had to make a choice. I have a ton of will power and relied on that to help me. It was hard at first but now it isn't a problem. I know what it is like to love to smoke but if you want to quit you can! Go for it. Good luck!
  • lisamcsherry
    lisamcsherry Member Posts: 29
    Marlene_K said:

WOW!!
    Thanks to ALL of you! This is much more than I expected to get on this subject, as I really feel soooo stupid! Like the diagnosis isn't enough to get me to never want a cigarette again? I can relate to so many points you have all made... I understand they have not linked cigarette smoking to breast cancer, but so what? There is solid proof that it causes other cancers and being hit with it should scare me to death and make me never want to be faced with this or any other cancer again. Yes, I also consider cigarettes a looong time friend of mine. Whenever I want to feel at peace, as crazy as it might seem, I turn to my cigarettes... they seem to make me feel so at ease and it paralyzes me if I think I have to say goodbye. I know the addiction is worse than heroin and THAT in and of itself is just ridiculous! I've known many people to be successful on Chantix and I'm hopeful that this could finally be the answer. I truly believe I'm ready... I want to give it up. It's gross, it's smelly and just plain stupid to smoke (yes, I'm trying to convince myself). My kids need me; I want to see my kids get married; I want to one day be a grandmother and I know with all my heart that if I continue to smoke, I will not be here for that.

Thank you all for caring so much that you replied even if you didn't or don't deal with this addiction. It means the WORLD to me that you are such caring and giving people that regardless of what someone posts, you care enough to just plain say you care!

With so much appreciation! Mar

I smoked until the day of surgery
    How's that for addicted? And I didn't even smoke more then 1/2 pack a day. But I could NOT quit. Patches didn't work, nor did gujm or lozenges. Pills didn't work. Hypnosis didn't work.

It took major surgery and a hospital stay to get me to stop smoking.

It's 2.5 weeks post surgery and I crave that cigarette. CRAVE it. Daily. But I won't go back because it was too hard to stop. So, I just let the craving go. I have some water. Go find something to do. Go for a walk. Write an email. Something.

It helps that I can't drive yet, so I can't get any. :-) But i won't buy them, so I can't smoke them.

Oh, and I tell myself "I am a nonsmoker" . . . eventually I won't have to work hard at this and I'll just be a nonsmoker.

I know whereof you speak and I can only say -- it can be done. Even if you quit can't until your surgery, you WILL quit.