22 and very scared

ad9323
ad9323 Member Posts: 3

Hello everyone. I stumbled on this site while trying to find a solution to my problem. I don't know what to do honestly and I just want to vent my frustration, and would appreciate any feedback and advice.

When I clear my throat I am finding some blood. It is most prominent in the morning once I wake up and sometimes during the day. This has been going on for months.  I went to an ENT months ago and he prescribed some antibiotics. The blood still didn't go away. I went again recently, and I was also experiencing this burning pain in my face and ears. He then looked through my nose and throat through a scope, as well as my mouth. He said he didn't see anything and prescribed prednisone for the swelling. He said the blood is most likely coming from the nose and draining back. I suggested whether I should have tests done if the blood is coming from my lungs. He said it is very unlikely at my age and with no other symptoms. But recently I've been experiencing this deep shoulder blade pain in addition to my other symptoms and I'm freaking out. I'm really scared this could be lung cancer. The only thing I probably have in my favor is statistics (i.e young and don't smoke) but my symptoms are really frightening me.  I am a Canadian and my health insurance card has expired, so I cant take any action until I receive my new one around a week. What do you think I should do then? I am thinking of going to the ER and demand to be taken seriously and given proper tests (chest x-rays, pulmonary doctor, CT)  to get to the root of this. Im just so lost and scared at this point. This might seem like Im blabbing to most here but I really have no one else I want to voice my fears to. I really want to be worrying about my finals and studies, as well as my friends and all the stuff a 22 year old should have to instead of this.

Comments

• thparkle
    thparkle Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm new here. I'd suggest

Hi, I'm new here. I'd suggest you look at http://www.lungcancercanada.ca/

Because you will probably find people who know how the system works in Canada really well, and they can tell you exactly which tests are needed for diagnosis in case you want to try and skip a few hurdles.  I don't see an emergency room being ideal, but I don't know how things work in Ca.

And all that said, it is not likely you have lung cancer, and I would just try to stay calm and write down a plan and stick to it until you know more.  Take one step at a time and try to focus on what you CAN do.  Do't fear the unknown; relish the time you have!

If you find yourself unable to do this, may I also suggest seeking out a counselor to talk to, regardless of what is causing your symptoms?  I personally suffer from a minor anxiety disorder and this is a great place to start.  You can feel better emotionally, no matter what is going on physically.

• dennycee
    dennycee Member Posts: 857 Member
    At every educational seminar

At every educational seminar I attend we are told that blood in the sputum may be a result of lung cancer there is a host of other things that can cause it.  The Bonnie Addario Foundation may have some help or answers for you.  They are sponsoring a study of patients who are diagnosed at young age.  They say they'll help anyone anywhere in the world find answers.   Perhaps they can help guide you to a some additional testing.  Contact lungcancerfoundation.org.