I'm new here

2»

Comments

• rdubins
    rdubins Member Posts: 26 Member

Oh yeah. Your life gets hijacked into appointments, visits, scans, treatments, etc etc. Then cardiac clearance and pulmonary clearances and all kinds of other stuff. All that being said, I believe I'm the luckiest of the unlucky, at least in this sense: I kind of grew up in the medical environment, and worked in the sciences for 30 years. I can only imagine how much harder it would be to try to put all those pieces together without that background, so man, I'm empathizing with you. My surgery was epic. Cut from between my breasts down to below the public line. Cancer was EVERYWHERE. Lost my spleen and appendix as well as all the girly parts. And this is after I had 4 rounds of chemo to knock it down. I still have a partially collapsed lung on the right side. Oh, it was grisly. But more good luck coming my way, I have an excellent medical team, I'm with Sloan Kettering in NYC and they are truly 5-star. Still…. this is a terrible diagnosis to be dealt, I'm turning 70 next week, and up until now have enjoyed a vibrant very active and energetic life. I'm a year into this, and learning to cope with the energy I have left. Stay strong, Beth!! Wishing the best outcome for you!! Ruth

• rdubins
    rdubins Member Posts: 26 Member

And you should totally write that translation book. Think of all the women and their families who would be so grateful!!!!!!!!!

• olgadennis
    olgadennis Member Posts: 1 Member

I too had both ovarian and endometrial cancer. Both endometriod histology. Stage 2a and 1a, respectively. Finished 6 rounds of carbo/taxol 8 months ago. NED since then. Best wishes to you!

• beth2924
    beth2924 Member Posts: 31 Member

Ruth,

Thank you! You stay strong too. Like you, I consider myself a little lucky in that the ovarian cancer was only stage one when they found, it. The uterine cancer had eaten through the uterus wall and was stage 3, but none of the lymph nodes biopsied had any cancer cells. The cyst in my left ovary did rupture when they removed it, but my surgeon said with all the endometriosis and adhesion from surgeries when I was much younger, there was no way it was coming out in one piece. At the time of the surgery, we didn't know there was any cancer at all. Just endometriosis. So the hysterectomy which was to stop the bleeding and pain found the cancers. Finding the ovarian cancer so early was/is lucky, I guess.

Sloan Kettering has a great reputation. I am At Dartmouth Hitchcock in Lebanon, NH which is also a good place for cancer treatment and research, so that is good too. Best is that my home is a short drive from the hospital, so no overnights, etc., which can be draining on their own.

Beth