Cancer and a Cooper's Hawk

Harmanygroves
Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 382 Member

Wonderful!That’s a great story! I loved reading it! Especially the ending when I can envision you seeing him and imagining him knowing you were his rescuer! I bet he does! And we can all empathize with your low energy level.

❤️, Alicia

• Harmanygroves

Thanks so much, A! <3

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member

Anderson Cooper's Hawk is aptly named. A lovely story. I share your love of birds but I have never learned to identify wild birds other than Cardinals, Blue Jays and Robins. Owls and Woodpeckers if I hear them. My Aunt has a clock with different birds at each hour and I love when their individual calls announce the hour. She is 84 now and long given up bird spotting with her book and binoculars but she can listen to those calls and remember many happy bird hikes with her husband. I think birds are like angels in that they are messengers, too. Messengers of beauty.

I am certain Anderson knows you are the Bird Lady that hoisted him in a green laundry basket up in a tree!

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

Very nice story.

When I still lived in my house, the area had a particularly snowy winter. While I hadn't been in the habit of feeding the birds, that winter I did put seeds, nuts and bread bits out for the birds and squirrels. I learned right away to make separate piles so that they'd all eat at the same time and not fight. I know that some birds only eat out of raised feeders, but the squirrels kept messing with that. So I only fed the "ground feeders." My cat would sit on the window sill in my lower level and watch all the action out of the window that was basically at ground level. Very entertaining for him.

I also added a dog water bowl that was heated so they'd have water to drink. I continued feeding them the following winters until I moved to a condo a few years ago.

I know that bread isn't the most nutritious food, but I also gave them wild bird food and plain nuts. The funny thing is that when I tried to give them some of my whole wheat bread with seeds, they didn't like it. They only wanted the cheap white bread.

I was glad that I had already moved when I was in treatment. Feeding the outdoor stray cats, birds and squirrels would have been hard during that time.

• Harmanygroves

Thank you both very much, and the photos are so great, CMB.

It was so fascinating to see Cooper not twenty feet from my window here, flitting around to eat the tiny birds who were hiding in the rosebush, well aware that if they budged, Anderson would tear them apart. Nature is so incredible.

• Lyn70
    edited March 2022 #7

cmb

I love your photos of the ground feeders. How cute they are! My cats love to watch the birds that land on my second floor apt roof overhang and gutter. They chirp to each other hunting signals from the corners of their mouths. Such entertainment!

I gave up my house for an apartment when I retired in 2016. I do not regret that decision. It has proved to be a very wise considering my dx in 2020. I am within 3 miles of a great GO I love.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

I downsized to a condo about 1.5 years before I was diagnosed with cancer. I was also happy that I had made the move when I did, especially since I'm also closer to my doctors and treatment center than I was before. While there are aspects of the house that I miss, overall I don't miss the upkeep required.

• Harmanygroves

I think you are both very wise to have downsized. There just comes a time or diagnosis when you want to spend your time and energy on yourself, and on things you need to do for your health, and for fun. Who wants to clean gutters, mow lawns, deal with gophers and all that?

I am glad we are in a ranch-style house, at least, so I didn't have to do a lot of stairs when I was in full recovery mode. I worry we have too much work out here, and in general, but for now--at least for now--we are doing okay. We just had a new septic system put in (not fun to talk about, not nearly as entertaining as the amazing squirrels and birds!), and have got the lawn raked out and re-seeded. Husband is older than I am, but holding up remarkably well. He is going to outlive us all, as they say.

I'm starting to think it may be wise to do that Swedish? Norwegian?? death cleaning, ha ha! Not that I'm going anywhere soon, but if you can imagine, I'm third generation on this family farm, and I still have some of my Grandma's stuff....she's been gone for 34 years. Sigh!

Anyway, pretty interesting coincidence that you both downsized before your DX. I'm glad you both had time to get your new "nests" in order before the lovely treatments and surgeries.

xxDeb

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,678 Member

Thank you for the great story, Deb.

Here is a book that I enjoyed a lot, despite the subject: The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning by Margareta Magnussen. I liked it so much I considered buying it till I realized the irony. It’s a quick trip to the library when I want to read it again.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member

What a great story! And our Deb is quite the writer. ❤️ My husband rescued three perfect tiny bluebirds about 10 years ago when casually checking the nesting box because he could not see any parent coming and going. Upon opening the box, he found the Dad, dead, and the three babies were squawking. He found a bird rescue person who gladly took them and hopefully they survived. We still have our nesting box but now we have a camera to record them. This is from May, 2020. We get 2-3 clutches a year.

• Harmanygroves

And NOW we know why you are a Bluebird! <3 what a photo! what a story!

• Lyn70

Bluebird,

That is like a prize winning photo of those hungry baby birds. Brings a broad smile to my beak.

• Lyn70

Swedish Death Cleaning,

Isn't Ikea a Swedish firm? They manufacture the most efficient storage items. I have never seen a more downsized/organized culture than theirs. They probably don't gather clutter like Americans.

I confess to the 1 year rule of if I have not used it or worn it in one year...out it goes to thrift. Now, Decor that is difficult particularly those gifts you have to bring out before a visit from the giver.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member

Thanks, Lyn. I have many great photos of the nest building, the laying of the eggs, and of the chicks being fed. It is our summertime pastime as we are on the Lake Michigan flyway.