Latest scan results weren't what I wanted to hear It's back

Bionicguy
Bionicguy Member Posts: 22
edited September 2017 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I had my 3rd set of check up scans last Thursday. Met with the doctor today to get the results. Not what wanted to hear. I have another tumor in my left lymph node at the jaw and it is wrapped around the a cartirod vien.

Scheduled for surgery on Monday at MD Anderson. 

Previous treatment ended in January. I had 40 radiation treatments and 6 chemos. I was just rocking along fat dumb and happy.When the doctor told me the results I think I went into shock. Best I understood the surgery will invlove removing most of the tissue on the left side under the jaw line.

I'm trying to keep a positive attitdude, but tonight it is difficult. On the up side I'll have a cool new scar for Halloween.

Comments

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    I am sorry to hear this. We

I am sorry to hear this. We are in Houston so if you need anything, please let me know. MD Anderson will take good care of you and hopefully the surgery will get it all out. Prayers and good thoughts for you.

• Mavish
    Mavish Member Posts: 84 Member
    edited September 2017 #3
    You will be in my thoughts

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

• bebo12249
    bebo12249 Member Posts: 181 Member
    Stay positive. I know it's

Stay positive. I know it's hard.. in our prayers.

• Sinus2016
    Sinus2016 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2017 #5
    Wish there was more I could do, thanks for sharing

Rocking along when I saw your message. While the news is disheartening I'm glad you did your follow up scan and have a plan. Not only will I be thinking of you on Monday but also on Halloween.  Keep rocking and go back to fat and happy for all of us as soon as you can.

• LiseA
    LiseA Member Posts: 266
    Sorry to hear this, but I’m

Sorry to hear this, but I’m glad you wil be at MDA.  Who is your surgeon?  That’s where I was treated.  I have had 4 CT scans post treatment (every 3  months) and they have come back clear.  Since we have to fly in for these visits, my husband asked if they could switch to every six months.  I was happy at first, but now I tend to wonder if anything is going on...

I wish you all the best, and hope they get all of it out.

• Bionicguy
    Bionicguy Member Posts: 22
    edited September 2017 #7
    LiseA said:

Sorry to hear this, but I’m

Sorry to hear this, but I’m glad you wil be at MDA.  Who is your surgeon?  That’s where I was treated.  I have had 4 CT scans post treatment (every 3  months) and they have come back clear.  Since we have to fly in for these visits, my husband asked if they could switch to every six months.  I was happy at first, but now I tend to wonder if anything is going on...

I wish you all the best, and hope they get all of it out.

Surgeon

My surgeon is Dr. Shirley Su. I have complete faith in her. My radiation onocoigist is Dr. Laurn Mayo. I wouldn't want anyone else treating me. Apparently, the lymph node was resistant to the type of radiation they were using, so the only course is the get it all out of my neck.

I apreciate everyones kind thoughts. Just another brick in the wall.

• DanceSkater
    DanceSkater Member Posts: 62
    Monday

I had 8 Urbitux sessions with 35 rads for supraglottis fold cancer.  Also had at least one lymph node involvement.  Had a few NED tests post treatment but then the cancer returned in less than a year and I had to have surgery.   I had a radical left neck dissection on 6-8-17.  

Like you, I was very unhappy and surprised my cancer had returned and fearful of the surgery.   The surgery wasn't as near as bad as I feared.  I had very little pain afterward.   I'll be thinking of you on Monday and wishing you the best.  Please update us when you can.

I'll have my first post surgery scan this coming Tuesday,

• Sinus2016
    Sinus2016 Member Posts: 36
    Happy Halloween

Bionicguy I hope your surgery came out ok and that your ready and rocking for Halloween. Scar or no scar I hope your hanging in there and optimistic of the future. I said that I would be thinking of you during your surgery & Halloween but I was wrong  because i’ve thought about what your going through a lot more than 2x and I  wish you a healthy recovery. 

I get to celebrate Halloween with a natural limp thanks to a blood clot in my leg. Well just in time for Halloween cause  I could be Marshall Dillion’s side kick Chester.

• dtalbot1
    dtalbot1 Member Posts: 5
    You are in a great cancer center

Good luck to you. Please keep us posted. No, it's not fair how life can dish it out but you are at a top notch cancer center. Chin up.