Insurance won't cover suction machine - anyone recommend one?

Options
OKCnative
OKCnative Member Posts: 326 Member

Well, my insurance claims they will not cover a suction machine unless it's a part of in-home health care. Very few places around me carry them and one that would rent to me said I have to provide my medical information and diagnosis to them - no thank you.

So, I'm going to just buy one. The medical supply places want $300-$900.

Has anyone tried either of these on Amazon?

Heavy Duty Mucus Suction Compressor for Home Use for only $150.

or, this one...

BabySmile Nasal Aspirator for $115.

I have access to the proper hoses and tips for either one. I know the bottom one is listed for babies and nasal use, but the concept for oral is identical. The one concern would be if it had enough suction to work orally.

The top one does not have a pressure adjustment. But, you can get hoses that do.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    edited August 2017 #2
    Options
    Insurance won't pay

We had trouble getting institutional nutrition.  I called the manufacturer.  They had a guy in house that knew how to get insurance to pay when they had been denying coverage for years.

Ask the supplier and/or the manufacturer.  They are they ones with the most interest in meeting requirements and finding the coverage.  Worth a try...  Also, ask the doctor's nurse.  They are usually the ones that have to send all the right documentation to insurance companies.

Crystal

• Ladylacy
    Ladylacy Member Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Suction Machines

When my husband was undergoing treatment for his throat cancer, I research suction machines on the internet and found one that could be used either with electric or portable.  It was, a DeVilbiss.    It was a decent price so I ordered one not knowing that with a prescription from his doctor we could get one.  He was on Medicare and it was a rental for the first year but after that due to the fact that we had paid on it for over a year it was ours.   After he passed I donated one to a group that helps those in need who are fighting throat cancer.