'roid rage- Dexamethasone is a little peice of heaven/hell

Options
MMDowns
MMDowns Member Posts: 318

Hello all,

Can you tell that my husband is accruing more and more fun symptoms as we apprach the end of his treatments?  Here is my new question for you all to possibly ponder.  Who took Dexamethasone and had symptoms of what I call 'roid rage?  My husband took Dexamethasone with his first dose of chemo for 3 days after chemo.  That was the week that I don't like to think of.  So this time becuase he had such a hard time and of course because life is just like that, it hit over a weekendthought of a different game plan.  He would get the dose via IV on chemo day, then take the 3 days after, then on Friday go in and get another dose of the steroid via IV, then follow with 2 more days of the oral dosage.  It worked like a dream!  Last week was doable, really doable.  I mentioned earlier that he did have heartburn quite a bit Friday evening and on Sunday.  I attributed that to the chemo and the steroid.  So now he takes Prilosec.  But, what I have noticed is his mood is way off.  My husband has been amazing over these past 6 weeks.  He's the one that would remind me that this is temporary and we can get through it.  We were hit with two big blows right after Christmas.  One being his job situation and obvioulsy the cancer.  Please don't get me wrong, in no way am I saying that he doesn't have the right to be tired and frustrated and angry.  I would be and probably sooner.  However, his reactions to little things are very blown out of porportion.  He had two job interviews yesterday and instead of being excited that he was asked back for one he was angry that he had to go back. He snaps at me if I ask him if he is feeling OK.  It's not him.  Again, I know that this HAS to change your way of thinking and living. But, he's mad that he has to take pills, he's mad that he has to drink Ensure, he's mad at things that last week were not a big deal.  I am just wondering if this is more the steroids or he is just so tired of this temporary moment in time.  

Comments

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    everyone reacts to steroids differntly

So Im not sure, I would ask the Dr.

I had a friend whose husband at the time was prescribed eye drops with something like that in them. Holy, he turned into a pyscho maniac, Dr confirmed it was the eye drops.

Now me? I adore my gogo juice. I was given a Z pack a few years back when I had bad flu/couldn't breathe.... I cleaned the whole house, including waxing the floors, in under 3 hours! Bet you wish that would happen to him :)

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    edited April 2017 #3
    Options
    I don't have any advice

but I want to give you a big virtual ((HUG)) My husband is still a few weeks away from starting treatment, but I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the upcoming changes that will occur.  I know we will make it, but as you attest, there will certainly be trying times.

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    edited April 2017 #4
    Options
    Steroids

At a low dose for an asthma flare made me almost suicidal. 

I hate them.  They are, however, a necessary evil for some situations

• MMDowns
    Options

I don't have any advice

but I want to give you a big virtual ((HUG)) My husband is still a few weeks away from starting treatment, but I am trying to mentally prepare myself for the upcoming changes that will occur.  I know we will make it, but as you attest, there will certainly be trying times.

I would take That hug and

I would take That hug and send one your way as well. I remember all too well where you are now.  Yes, it'll be trying. But I wish for you a very gentle ride.  And before you know it you're at the last week and you'll be able to say; we are so close to the finish line! I'm always here to listen and maybe offer helpful info. But sometimes you just need someone to listen. Have a good day tomorrow! 

• MMDowns
    Options
    SuzJ said:

everyone reacts to steroids differntly

So Im not sure, I would ask the Dr.

I had a friend whose husband at the time was prescribed eye drops with something like that in them. Holy, he turned into a pyscho maniac, Dr confirmed it was the eye drops.

Now me? I adore my gogo juice. I was given a Z pack a few years back when I had bad flu/couldn't breathe.... I cleaned the whole house, including waxing the floors, in under 3 hours! Bet you wish that would happen to him :)

Hah!! I sure do. :) When I'm

Hah!! I sure do. :) When I'm on prednisone for asthma and bronchitis I am full of energy so much so that sleeping is tough. Plus, I'm an emotional mess. So I can only imagine what's happening inside my husband's body. He's better today. We had some tough news regarding a job interview but I let him vent and wallow and I think that helped. Instead of cheerleading him on I just let him be.  Hoping the fluids help flush more out of his body. Side note; how are you doing/feeling? 

• MMDowns
    Options

Steroids

At a low dose for an asthma flare made me almost suicidal. 

I hate them.  They are, however, a necessary evil for some situations

Yes they are. Ive had them

Yes they are. Ive had them and they help but man, do they mess with my emotions and body. That's what I mean. It's heaven and then a bit of hell. But I know we will do the same amount next chemo time. Just have to be prepared for the emotional roller coaster. 

• SuzJ
    SuzJ Member Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hanging in, wish I could eat,

Hanging in, wish I could eat, as I can still smell! But swallowing just hurts too damn much. It's going to be milkshakes, ice cream and old people drinks....

• caregiver wife
    caregiver wife Member Posts: 234
    edited April 2017 #9
    Options
    Roid Rage

Husband's rage came about 3 or 4 days after chemo like clock work.  On a couple of occasions he became physically violent.  As he was already on lorazepam for anxiety, per doctor's instruction we increased his dosage and have no rage since.  After dealing with varying stages for over five years, I was at rope's end.  

Now we have a couple of days of flu like symtoms and he is normal and active the rest of the time.

Hang in there.  As you, I found it best to leave him alone with his anger.  But if it is bad, as doctor for help. Sometimes steroid dosage can be reduced.

Crystal

• MMDowns
    edited April 2017 #10
    Options

Roid Rage

Husband's rage came about 3 or 4 days after chemo like clock work.  On a couple of occasions he became physically violent.  As he was already on lorazepam for anxiety, per doctor's instruction we increased his dosage and have no rage since.  After dealing with varying stages for over five years, I was at rope's end.  

Now we have a couple of days of flu like symtoms and he is normal and active the rest of the time.

Hang in there.  As you, I found it best to leave him alone with his anger.  But if it is bad, as doctor for help. Sometimes steroid dosage can be reduced.

Crystal

Yes, that was the same time

Yes, that was the same time frame as my husbands.   He seemed better yesterday afternoon.  Not at all snappy or angry.  I did tell him that he was absolutely free to feel whatever emotion was going on but in no uncertain terms am I his doormat.  I think that helped.  It's a lot to have happen, the cancer alone, but we are also dealing with finding a new teaching job, etc... It's like it's coming at us all at once from all directions.  BUt, I know that we will get through this.  It's just about being patient and praying and holding onto hope.

• swopoe
    swopoe Member Posts: 492
    edited April 2017 #11
    Options
    MMDowns said:

Yes, that was the same time frame as my husbands.   He seemed better yesterday afternoon.  Not at all snappy or angry.  I did tell him that he was absolutely free to feel whatever emotion was going on but in no uncertain terms am I his doormat.  I think that helped.  It's a lot to have happen, the cancer alone, but we are also dealing with finding a new teaching job, etc... It's like it's coming at us all at once from all directions.  BUt, I know that we will get through this.  It's just about being patient and praying and holding onto hope.

What happened to his current

What happened to his current teaching job? I must have missed something. 

I am sorry the steroids are affecting him so much. But yeah, sometimes letting them just be is the best thing to do. You guys are so close to the end!

Best wishes for all.

• Chicklette
    Chicklette Member Posts: 225
    edited April 2017 #12
    Options
    MMDowns said:

Yes!

I'm glad you told your husband that you are not a doormat.  I think sometimes people in general take things out on the ones they love the most and need reminders from time to time. 

• MMDowns
    edited April 2017 #13
    Options
    swopoe said:

What happened to his current

What happened to his current teaching job? I must have missed something. 

I am sorry the steroids are affecting him so much. But yeah, sometimes letting them just be is the best thing to do. You guys are so close to the end!

Best wishes for all.

I haven't really mentioned

I haven't really mentioned the teaching thing so much.  But, right before Christmas he found out that the new school that is being built in lieu of the school where he was at was choosing to not offer him a new contract.  This was a shock.  He's been at his current school for 24yrs, he's head of the science department and really is (not a wife bias) a well respected and loved teacher.   It's a whole long backstory but suffice to say that another seasoned teacher was also not offered a contract along with a few other.  All are in their 50's, have masters, etc... so we feel like this is more of ageism & you're too exspensive than "you're not a good teacher."  We even looked into a lawsuit but it would be too much time and money.  Then came the diagnosis of cancer.  So not only is he fighting this crappy diesease, he's still trying to secure a teaching position for the fall.  It's been a rough start to 2017.  Here's hoping that the rest of 2017 is full of new adventures and second chances.  We just keep on moving forward!

• MMDowns
    Options

Yes!

I'm glad you told your husband that you are not a doormat.  I think sometimes people in general take things out on the ones they love the most and need reminders from time to time. 

Absolutely! I love him and I

Absolutely! I love him and I am here for him but I am still a human and I am going through my own journey during these cancer treatments.  He's a good man but he's human too and sometimes we just need to be reminded that the ones we love are here for us but not to be hurt.

• Sprint Car Dude
    Sprint Car Dude Member Posts: 181
    Options
    Perfectly Normal.

I had and still do have some of those exact same qualities that your husband is showing. The addition of job loss, financial loss and cancer treatment is enough to push anyone to the edge. It is a temporary situation that will slowly resolve over the next few months. It may even become worse before it gets better. I found myself just going into my bed room and shutting the door. Me and my thoughts without any out side interferance was just what I needed a lot of the time. This cancer gig is a pure mental and physical game changer. This too wil pass.  Good Luck.

• MMDowns
    Options

Perfectly Normal.

I had and still do have some of those exact same qualities that your husband is showing. The addition of job loss, financial loss and cancer treatment is enough to push anyone to the edge. It is a temporary situation that will slowly resolve over the next few months. It may even become worse before it gets better. I found myself just going into my bed room and shutting the door. Me and my thoughts without any out side interferance was just what I needed a lot of the time. This cancer gig is a pure mental and physical game changer. This too wil pass.  Good Luck.

Thank you. It's been a tough

Thank you. It's been a tough road but I feel like our luck is about to change. The other day I just went upstairs and did my own thing and that helped.  He went to a tennis match today and that definitely is a mid changer Plus they won! I know it'll pass and I know I have to take care of me too.  Its such a rollercoaster of  journey. 

• Kapital
    Kapital Member Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    steroids

Actually, I'm not sure I would necessarily attribute his mood changes to the steroids. He is taking it to combat the nausea of chemo, I believe . Not being nauseated after chem, in my opinion, is worth irritability, (within reason of course). BTW, regardless of nausea, chem makes you feel like %*!@&*.  The combination of being worn down by radiation, chemo a la mode and job security stress would make me  pretty ugly to deal with as well. Good luck