TV show 'The Doctors' today

JanJan63
JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member

I never watch this show but I was changing channels and caught the tail end of them saying a certain fat (I think it was) had a tie to colon cancer. I didn't catch what it was supposed to be. Did anyone else see it or hear anything about it?

Thanks!

Jan 

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Me too

I also saw that part of the program. It was emulsifiers that they said had been found to contribute to CRC. It was a very short piece and did not go into any detail. We will have to google it. 

• JanJan63
    JanJan63 Member Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited November 2016 #3
    Thanks Sue! Emulsifiers? I

Thanks Sue! Emulsifiers? I wonder what those are and what they're in? If I'm eating something that I'm not really a fan of and it has that in it I might as well stop eating it.

Okay, I looked it up and here's what I found. "In 1936, their use was patented for ice-cream production. Nowadays, emulsifier food additives play an important role in the manufacture of food products such as margarine, mayonnaise, creamy sauces, candy, many packaged processed foods, confections and a range of bakery products." Apparently they help certain fats in food to 'mix' better.

Well, this is of very little use to me. Due to my IBS I've never eaten much ice cream or processed foods or baked goods or any of that stuff. Creamy sauces set my IBS off terribly. I have no use for things like donuts or danishes or anything like that, I just don't enjoy them. The only think from this list I do use is margarine and I know it's not good for us for several other reasons. So, I guess I'll just keep eating the way I do and not eat this stuff that I already don't eat. But which my husband eats LOTS of and had a clean colonoscopy a year ago.

Jan