Surgeon didn't remove lymph node Ca

Options
vic chu
vic chu Member Posts: 1
edited October 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
  1. Diagnosed Oct 2013-breast lump.  
  2. Needle Biopsy performed on suspicious enlarged lymph node on 11-2013.  
  3. Surgery to remove breast lump and some lymph nodes on Dec 20 2013.  

The biopsy performed on a suspicious enlarged lymph node in Nov. of last year was marked with a titanium clip for location/identification.

The surgeon removed 12 nodes (11 neg & 1 pos).  She neglected to remove the biopsy positive node.  She did not look for the clip, "they're very small", she did not ask for pathology to look for the clip.  It is almost a year later and the Ca node and it's clip were only seen recently on my mammogram.  My surgeon is "sorry".  She wants to do more surgery to remove the lymph node that she left behind. This surgery would have to be done under local anesthesia instead of the customary general anesthesia.  This is due to the radiation (adjuvent) treatment given to me after surgery.  My lung was radiated accidentally, which  caused radiation pneumonitis (pneumonia).  I have been having serious breathing problems since April 2014  and have been hospitalized, put on steroids a few times and am currently on oxygen 24/7.  This is why I can't be put under with general anesthesia. 

I'm not looking for legal advice...that has already been addressed.

Now, I am specifically looking for some sort of reliable testing that would tell me if the cancer has spread further due to this node not being removed.  I am considering having the node biopsied. It's possible that the radiation cleared the node.  If the node is biopsied and comes back as still positive, I would like to have some info on how to know if it has spread or not.  I guess I'm asking for specific testing that would show me positive or negative for cancer having spread.  It is vital to my decision for further treatment/surgery.  My surgeon has neglected to acknowledge my question (messaged to her 7 days ago) of getting a PET scan, so I messaged my oncologist and he is of the opinion that the PET scan is not a good or reliable test to show what I'm asking for.  He offered no other suggestions.  Maybe there is no test that exists for what I am asking.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    Hi Vic

Hi Vic,

I am very sorry. My advice is to change your medical team. PET?CT is considered a very reliable test to answer your question :weather or not cancer has spread. I do not understand why under your cercumstances both your surgion and oncologist have denied your requirest for PET/CT. YOu can also ask for CT with contrast, which provide some information about remission or progression of your cancer. Bones can be perfomed as well. Please reach out and find the doctorwho will take care of you.

Hugs 

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    PET

MRI, CAT (With Contrast), PET.  When I was DXd I had all 3 full body scans plus a Bone Scan to be sure there were no mets in body before starting neoadjuvant chemo.  Bone Scan also to limit the scan to just the bones.  PET scans will show where is inflammation in the body but when 'lights up' on an area that does not automatically mean that there is a met there, but an area that is perhaps not quite 'right' that needs to be checked out further/biopsied.  When I had my PET, it 'lit up' on an area along my jaw so,it was biopsied that afternoon with the path report the next morning - nothing showed. Up so it was a false hit which is not uncommon.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

• Lilly9
    Lilly9 Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Rague said:

PET

MRI, CAT (With Contrast), PET.  When I was DXd I had all 3 full body scans plus a Bone Scan to be sure there were no mets in body before starting neoadjuvant chemo.  Bone Scan also to limit the scan to just the bones.  PET scans will show where is inflammation in the body but when 'lights up' on an area that does not automatically mean that there is a met there, but an area that is perhaps not quite 'right' that needs to be checked out further/biopsied.  When I had my PET, it 'lit up' on an area along my jaw so,it was biopsied that afternoon with the path report the next morning - nothing showed. Up so it was a false hit which is not uncommon.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan

First of all - change your

First of all - change your Doctors!

I agree with the others - PET, MRI, of course your blood tests.  I would definitely get a biopsy done asap.   This is just really unacceptable.   Please keep us posted

• button2
    button2 Member Posts: 421
    Options
    I agree with all the other

I agree with all the other comments. Change your entire team of doctors! You should be getting tested (CT, MRI, PET whicever isbest in your case) and possible surgery for the missed node. Find help immediately with a team who will work together and keep us posted. Best of luck, Anna