My mother is 92 and I'm seeking advice.

Comments

• jazzy1
    jazzy1 Member Posts: 1,379

So glad that the test came back OK.

I have been following your mom and your story and been praying for a good results. So happy to hear that so far it is good news.  But do keep pushing for a why for the bleeding because it is not normal after menopause. Mom's are great to have around as long as you can have them.  Mine passed away from a soft tissue sarcoma that was stage 4 before they found it and it had spread throughout her body.  She was 68 when she died back in 1992.  I still miss her to this day. Will keep you both in my prayers. trish

Bleeding

You know I just had a thought as my mother n law had some vaginal bleeding a few years back and doc did a biopsy and nothing showed up.  Just pushed it off to getting older and possibly dryness in vaginal area due to menopause.  The spotting went on for another day, probably due to the biopsy scraping and nothing since.  Has been well over 7 years ago and she's doing very well.

Darlene, none of us can tell you what to do, but if this last procedure went well possibly consider another one if doc is suggesting.  But...in back of your mind if they find anything such as cancer will you even treat????  Possibly all you're wanting is closure to find out yes there is something or no she's fine and that's all you need.  

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for finding a good path to follow to get the proper answers.

Cyber hugs,

Jan

• Juno22
    Juno22 Member Posts: 39

So glad that the test came back OK.

I have been following your mom and your story and been praying for a good results. So happy to hear that so far it is good news.  But do keep pushing for a why for the bleeding because it is not normal after menopause. Mom's are great to have around as long as you can have them.  Mine passed away from a soft tissue sarcoma that was stage 4 before they found it and it had spread throughout her body.  She was 68 when she died back in 1992.  I still miss her to this day. Will keep you both in my prayers. trish

Thank you Trisha

Every time someone on this site takes the time to read and respond to someone else's problems or fears touches my heart do deeply, especially, when I know that they themselves are going through so much.   So thank you Trisha for caring.  I think we will probably go for another biopsy because as you said the bleeding is not normal.  I'm talking to mom about it and still want her input.  I don't want fear to lead us (me) but it is so hard not to let it get the better of you.  

I think we will take the weekend feeling happy for a couple of days and then face our decision next week.  Of course I worry if we do another biopsy and it doesn't turn out well I'm concerned as to what they can do for mom at her age.  I'm sorry you lost your mother at such a young age.  It's just not fair.  I fully understand about wanting to keep our mom's around as long as possible.  The doctor's comments about whether or not she should even have a biopsy to begin with and "she's had a long life, you might what to take her home and let happen whatever happens" sent me on a downward spiral of fear and depression.  I know we have been lucky to have mom for so long, but is it ever long enough?  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, we will take all we can get.  I pray several times a day for all of the folks on this site.  I'll keep you updated.

Darlene

• Kathy G.
    Kathy G. Member Posts: 244 Member
    Juno22 said:

Thank you Trisha

Every time someone on this site takes the time to read and respond to someone else's problems or fears touches my heart do deeply, especially, when I know that they themselves are going through so much.   So thank you Trisha for caring.  I think we will probably go for another biopsy because as you said the bleeding is not normal.  I'm talking to mom about it and still want her input.  I don't want fear to lead us (me) but it is so hard not to let it get the better of you.  

I think we will take the weekend feeling happy for a couple of days and then face our decision next week.  Of course I worry if we do another biopsy and it doesn't turn out well I'm concerned as to what they can do for mom at her age.  I'm sorry you lost your mother at such a young age.  It's just not fair.  I fully understand about wanting to keep our mom's around as long as possible.  The doctor's comments about whether or not she should even have a biopsy to begin with and "she's had a long life, you might what to take her home and let happen whatever happens" sent me on a downward spiral of fear and depression.  I know we have been lucky to have mom for so long, but is it ever long enough?  Thank you for your thoughts and prayers, we will take all we can get.  I pray several times a day for all of the folks on this site.  I'll keep you updated.

Darlene

Hi Darlene,
    I have also been

Hi Darlene,

I have also been following your posts and was glad to hear your mom's results came back negative!

However, I have to agree with some of the 'veterans' of this board above about considering having another biopsy done. My personal expereince was that back in 08 I had my 1st ever abnormal pap, but my gynecologist said it was due to be starting menopause. He did a biopsy, but it came back negative.

I went for 11 months after that w/out a period & the 12th month my mother passed away, and I had a full-blown period again. The gyno decided against doing a biopsy partly b/c he knew how difficult they were for me and also b/c I had not gone the 12 months w/out a period and my mother dying was obviously stressful.

Now I look back and wonder if I had a biopsy in 09, 2010 or 2011 it would have been positive as this cancer is so slow-growing in many cases. I am fortunate in 2013 it was a 1a/grade1, but still cancer is cancer. I know you're also in a position of wondering if you would even treat it IF it was cancer, but still I would want to know.

It is funny how when we look back things can appear different.I said at the time of my diagnosis I had no other symptoms but the spotting I thought was related to UTI's and then the discharge that started, but I feel so much healthier, less tired and stressed now and even look better that I wonder if that was not the cancer.

My thoughts are with you as you go thru the decision making process. You have been lucky to have your mom so long in your life, and I think the longer you have someone the harder it is to bear thinking of them getting sick.

Kathy

• Clouth
    Clouth Member Posts: 10
    d&c

I just wanted to add that when I started this journey with my mom last summer, she was having bleeding. The gyn who  did the biopsy told us that if it came back negative, they would recommend a d&c type of procedure which would take a closer look at the uterine lining.

Best wishes,

KrisC

• Juno22
    Clouth said:

d&c

I just wanted to add that when I started this journey with my mom last summer, she was having bleeding. The gyn who  did the biopsy told us that if it came back negative, they would recommend a d&c type of procedure which would take a closer look at the uterine lining.

Best wishes,

KrisC

Nothing decided yet

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to respond.  In the middle of all of this we are in the middle of trying to move to a new home and I'm ashamed to say that I've put mom's biopsy at the back of my mind.  We did talk about it today when mom mentioned that she hasn't bled at all for some time now.  She knows that that doesn't really mean anything because the doctor told me when I asked that if the bleeding stopped it didn't mean anything.  

One of my brothers is coming for a visit I think sometime next week.  I think I will wait to talk to him, if nothing else I could use his support but I hope its not just because I want another week of pretending all is well.  I want you all to know that I consider all of your comments when trying to figure out what to do.  You all have been a blessing to me and I'm feel every thankful.  One decision I did make was to change mom's diet, not completely but I'm trying.  One thing I read was that if you are going to eat bread that the best is Rye or Pumpernickel, I don't know why but we like Rye so we switched.   

I have to say that I really don't know what we should do. While my analytical personality requires answers, my little girl scared to death self wants to hide my head in the sand and pretend all is well.  The thing that makes the decision more difficult is that if they do find cancer they probably won't treat her because they don't think she could handle it at her a age.  As scary as cancer is, and good God it is scary...it's as scary to me that there wouldn’t be anything they can do to help her get better.   I don't know if they would want to do a d&c on mom, I'm unfamiliar with how rough a procedure this is but I know everyone was surprised by how well mom handled the biopsy.  She's a very strong lady. 

I wanted to mention that I read something about thickening of the uterus lining could cause bleeding but it didn't say that it was from cancer, it just mentioned that thickening as well as thinning of the lining can cause bleeding.  I don't know if any of you can offer clarification on this but I'm hoping that there can be thickening without cancer having caused it.  I know I'm grasping at straws but I'm looking for other reasons that she could have been bleeding other than cancer.  You know my mother is so special and unique that even if someone said there could be no other reason, I feel she would be the exception.  

I will continue to pray for all of you, this isn't just lip service; I truly do include you in my prayers.

)))))Hugs(((((

Darlene 

• Juno22
    Another don't know what to do!

I just received a call from the PA that did the biopsy.  I thought they wanted to do another biopsy because they wanted to test more cells.  What she told me is that the results from mom's biopsy were inconclusive due to the biopsy containing a lot of fluid but very few cells to test.  I don't know if this means that they couldn’t test at all or if what cells they had were normal but they wanted more.  The PA really didn't know the answer.  So instead of another biopsy what they want to do is set up a time for mom to have a D & C.  

They would have to put mom under general anesthesia to do this out-patient procedure.   I think they forget that mom has Alzheimer’s.  There are studies to show that surgery for sure and probably anesthesia causes Post Operative Cognitive Dysfunction.  In other words it can speed up the effects of this disease.   I don't know what to do.   If she has the D & C the results might turn out okay for both cancer and with no adverse Alzheimer affects (but not likely), or mom has cancer that they  probably can't really treat due to her age AND her Alzheimer's is worse, or she has no cancer BUT her Alzheimer's is worse.    I don’t even know if the studies would include a D & C as a “surgery” or if a D & C can be done without anesthesia? 

I know that I need to get more information but with the Alzheimer’s and mom’s age it throws all standard thinking and treatments out the window.  The problem I’m finding is that doctor’s have tunnel vision and treat what they are specialized in and don’t treat the entire body which is so important in mom’s case.  In mom’s case I’m fearful that the cure may be worse than the disease..  Does anyone have experience with anesthesia and Alzheimer’s?   I’ve read many studies online regarding affects of surgeries/anesthesia on Alzheimer’s but even so I don’t know where a D & C falls in that category.  From I’ve read the jury is still out on the anesthesia part but surgeries for sure cause an inflammation that creates the problem for dementia type diseases.  I’m rambling so I’m going to close for now.  My head is whirling.

Thank you my friends for being a rock to lean on.

Darlene 

• jazzy1
    Juno22 said:

I just received a call from the PA that did the biopsy.  I thought they wanted to do another biopsy because they wanted to test more cells.  What she told me is that the results from mom's biopsy were inconclusive due to the biopsy containing a lot of fluid but very few cells to test.  I don't know if this means that they couldn’t test at all or if what cells they had were normal but they wanted more.  The PA really didn't know the answer.  So instead of another biopsy what they want to do is set up a time for mom to have a D & C.  

They would have to put mom under general anesthesia to do this out-patient procedure.   I think they forget that mom has Alzheimer’s.  There are studies to show that surgery for sure and probably anesthesia causes Post Operative Cognitive Dysfunction.  In other words it can speed up the effects of this disease.   I don't know what to do.   If she has the D & C the results might turn out okay for both cancer and with no adverse Alzheimer affects (but not likely), or mom has cancer that they  probably can't really treat due to her age AND her Alzheimer's is worse, or she has no cancer BUT her Alzheimer's is worse.    I don’t even know if the studies would include a D & C as a “surgery” or if a D & C can be done without anesthesia? 

I know that I need to get more information but with the Alzheimer’s and mom’s age it throws all standard thinking and treatments out the window.  The problem I’m finding is that doctor’s have tunnel vision and treat what they are specialized in and don’t treat the entire body which is so important in mom’s case.  In mom’s case I’m fearful that the cure may be worse than the disease..  Does anyone have experience with anesthesia and Alzheimer’s?   I’ve read many studies online regarding affects of surgeries/anesthesia on Alzheimer’s but even so I don’t know where a D & C falls in that category.  From I’ve read the jury is still out on the anesthesia part but surgeries for sure cause an inflammation that creates the problem for dementia type diseases.  I’m rambling so I’m going to close for now.  My head is whirling.

Darlene 

Darlene

When they tell you, biopsy was "inconclusive" it means -- tests have not shown up an exact diagnosis or have not confirmed or denied what was being tested for.

It means no one is exactly sure of an exact answer in the capacity the term is used, eg if a report says 'blood tests have been inconclusive' it means these have not shown up anything helpful to reach a decision.  Many times it could be the person conducting the test didn't sample  enough fluid, etc, to conduct the test.  Not to mean good or bad, just cannot come to a conclusion.

D&C is what I  had after the ultrasound which found the thickening of the uterine wall.  It's really not bad, but they do sedate the person (don't know what drug they gave me, sorry can't  tell you).  When you bring up anesthesia and Alzheimers this is what I do remember reading a bit about.  My mom has alzheimers and used to be on the Alzheimer's message boards.  Many had posted about anesthesia causing the disease toprogress faster.  Now I cannot remember which drugs were the ones to avoid.  You might want to google and see if you can find out additional information.  Don't both asking the doc as have to tell you so many aren't up on this stuff.  If I were you, I'd find out the drug(s) to avoid and decide if you wish to proceed with the D&C. No  I would not suggest this D&C without sedation...no way would one wish to be awake.  After the procedure I was down for the day and thinking the next day a bit  groggy, too. 

One cannot avoid everything, but if we can be better educated to make a good decision it's easier.   I'll see if I can find out some information on the anesthesia with alzheimers, but no guarantee.

Hope this helps,

Jan

• NorahS
    NorahS Member Posts: 92
    jazzy1 said:

Darlene

When they tell you, biopsy was "inconclusive" it means -- tests have not shown up an exact diagnosis or have not confirmed or denied what was being tested for.

It means no one is exactly sure of an exact answer in the capacity the term is used, eg if a report says 'blood tests have been inconclusive' it means these have not shown up anything helpful to reach a decision.  Many times it could be the person conducting the test didn't sample  enough fluid, etc, to conduct the test.  Not to mean good or bad, just cannot come to a conclusion.

D&C is what I  had after the ultrasound which found the thickening of the uterine wall.  It's really not bad, but they do sedate the person (don't know what drug they gave me, sorry can't  tell you).  When you bring up anesthesia and Alzheimers this is what I do remember reading a bit about.  My mom has alzheimers and used to be on the Alzheimer's message boards.  Many had posted about anesthesia causing the disease toprogress faster.  Now I cannot remember which drugs were the ones to avoid.  You might want to google and see if you can find out additional information.  Don't both asking the doc as have to tell you so many aren't up on this stuff.  If I were you, I'd find out the drug(s) to avoid and decide if you wish to proceed with the D&C. No  I would not suggest this D&C without sedation...no way would one wish to be awake.  After the procedure I was down for the day and thinking the next day a bit  groggy, too. 

One cannot avoid everything, but if we can be better educated to make a good decision it's easier.   I'll see if I can find out some information on the anesthesia with alzheimers, but no guarantee.

Hope this helps,

Jan

You may have forgotten....

....but this is what you wrote on March 6th....

"The great news is that we did see her new primary doctor today and we both absolutely loved her.  Loved, loved, loved her!  She gave me a referral to her personal Gynecologist if after tomorrow we want a second opinion.   She is also concerned with what’s going on with mom, but she didn’t miss the class that taught a doctor on how to speak to a patient.   I don’t know where this will all go, but it feels so good to have someone to fall back on when I need advice."

Now, it seems to me that you shouldn't carry the burden of what to do next on your own. Your mother has a new primary doctor - whom you both "absolutely loved" - plus you have a referral to that doctor's Gynecologist if you "want a second opinion".  Also, "it feels so good to have someone to fall back on when I need advice." 

• txtrisha55
    txtrisha55 Member Posts: 693 Member
    Juno22 said:

Darlene 

Darlene,
    I would follow Jan's

Darlene,

I would follow Jan's advice and do some research on what drugs to avoid. I had a D&C and was put out. It is not something that can be done awake.  I might get a second opinion and naybe check if they go do a PET or CT scan or maybe aMRI and maybe that could give the answer without having to do the D&C.  A person does not have to be put asleep for those. Praying for your mom and your family. trish

• debrajo
    debrajo Member Posts: 1,095 Member
    Juno22 said:

Darlene 

Mom

I agree with Jan all the way.  This will probably muddy the waters, but my Grandmother had Alzheimers when she fell and broke her hip.  The surgery went great, but her mind was completely gone.  She lived three months.  Could they possibly do an epidural?  I had two c-sections with Epidural and I felt nothing and was awake the whole time...recovered nicely also.  Wishing you and your mother all the best.  Debrajo

• Juno22
    jazzy1 said:

Darlene

Hope this helps,

Jan

Thank you Jan.

I would very much appreciate any information you might be able to find regarding the anesthesia and Alzheimer's.  I'm sorry that your mother has this dreadful disease too.  It's not like you didn't have enough to worry about.  What is they say, "you are never given more than you can handle", I know that sometimes I think God must think I'm a Ninja. 

One of the studies talked about how surgeries create inflamation that travels even to the brain, which of course is what would create the problem for mom, and this is aside from the anesthesia.  But again, I don't know if a D&C falls in that group of surgeries that create this inflamation.   I have more work to do to try and get some answers.

Thank you again for being here for me.

Darlene 

• Juno22
    NorahS said:

You may have forgotten....

....but this is what you wrote on March 6th....

"The great news is that we did see her new primary doctor today and we both absolutely loved her.  Loved, loved, loved her!  She gave me a referral to her personal Gynecologist if after tomorrow we want a second opinion.   She is also concerned with what’s going on with mom, but she didn’t miss the class that taught a doctor on how to speak to a patient.   I don’t know where this will all go, but it feels so good to have someone to fall back on when I need advice."

Now, it seems to me that you shouldn't carry the burden of what to do next on your own. Your mother has a new primary doctor - whom you both "absolutely loved" - plus you have a referral to that doctor's Gynecologist if you "want a second opinion".  Also, "it feels so good to have someone to fall back on when I need advice." 

You're right Norah

Believe me my next step is to try to talk to mom's new primary doctor.  That's a call I have to make.  Thank you for caring Norah.

Darlene 

• Juno22
    debrajo said:

Mom

I agree with Jan all the way.  This will probably muddy the waters, but my Grandmother had Alzheimers when she fell and broke her hip.  The surgery went great, but her mind was completely gone.  She lived three months.  Could they possibly do an epidural?  I had two c-sections with Epidural and I felt nothing and was awake the whole time...recovered nicely also.  Wishing you and your mother all the best.  Debrajo

Trish & Debrajo

Thank you ladies for you support and comments.  All good questions that I need to get answers for.  Debrajo the experience that your Grandmother had with the broken hip is exactly what scares the bejesus out of me.  The medical society know so little about Alzheimer's that even they are guessing.  They do know that surgery causes the problem but they don't know how to stop it.   And the truth is that even if I spoke to the people that put the study together and I asked them if a  D&C would be harmful to Alzheimer's patients, I would bet they could only guess.  What I will be checking into is if they can do some other non-invasive tests that might tell us something.  

Thank you for you good wishes, they mean a lot to me.

Darlene

• Juno22
    jazzy1 said:

Bleeding

You know I just had a thought as my mother n law had some vaginal bleeding a few years back and doc did a biopsy and nothing showed up.  Just pushed it off to getting older and possibly dryness in vaginal area due to menopause.  The spotting went on for another day, probably due to the biopsy scraping and nothing since.  Has been well over 7 years ago and she's doing very well.

Darlene, none of us can tell you what to do, but if this last procedure went well possibly consider another one if doc is suggesting.  But...in back of your mind if they find anything such as cancer will you even treat????  Possibly all you're wanting is closure to find out yes there is something or no she's fine and that's all you need.  

I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers for finding a good path to follow to get the proper answers.

Cyber hugs,

Jan

Jan about your mother-in-law

I meant to ask you about your mother-in-law.  How old was she when she experienced her vaginal bleeding and do you remember how long she bled prior to the biopsy?  It sounds like after the biopsy she only spotted and then it stopped.  Mom's bleeding has also stopped.   

• Hybridspirits
    Hybridspirits Member Posts: 209
    Juno22 said:

I meant to ask you about your mother-in-law.  How old was she when she experienced her vaginal bleeding and do you remember how long she bled prior to the biopsy?  It sounds like after the biopsy she only spotted and then it stopped.  Mom's bleeding has also stopped.   

bleeding stopped

Mine stopped after the in the offie biopsy and came back 15 mnths later,  cancer.  Found through the d&c.  Thoughts are that it might have been per cancer or just the very early stages.  you can never tell with this cancer.  It can spot on and off for a while or stop for a while

• Juno22

bleeding stopped

Mine stopped after the in the offie biopsy and came back 15 mnths later,  cancer.  Found through the d&c.  Thoughts are that it might have been per cancer or just the very early stages.  you can never tell with this cancer.  It can spot on and off for a while or stop for a while

Hello Hybridspirits

My mothers Gyno told me that if the bleeding stopped it didn't mean anything, so I know that we are not home free but I think it helps mom not to worry about it as much and that means something to me.  Thank you for taking the time to comment, all advice and historical experience is helpful.  

Darlene 

• Juno22

Darlene,
    I would follow Jan's

Darlene,

I would follow Jan's advice and do some research on what drugs to avoid. I had a D&C and was put out. It is not something that can be done awake.  I might get a second opinion and naybe check if they go do a PET or CT scan or maybe aMRI and maybe that could give the answer without having to do the D&C.  A person does not have to be put asleep for those. Praying for your mom and your family. trish

Hi Trisha

In researching other methods of treatments I came across the following statement regarding PET scans and Alzheimers " PET amyloid scanning is not appropriate for people over 65 who are already known to have Alzheimer's, the guidelines say."     I don't know if its not appropriate because it is harmful to someone with Alzheimer's or because the test is so expensive they don't want to do another one if you know you already have Alzheimers.  .  During this search for information  I also just found out mom can't have a MRI either because she has a pacemaker.  I will keep researching but mom's age and the Alzheimers's is kicking our butts.

Darlene

• jazzy1
    Juno22 said:

Darlene

MIL vaginal bleeding stopped a few days later.  Now that I've got my thinking cap on, remembering the doc went up further inside the vaginal area and looking around and might have snipped something that looked strange. This was so long ago, can't remember, but today no cancer in any of the female parts nor  bleeding.

I'd go with a few others whom posted, just because NO BLEEDING doesn't mean one is out of the woods.  Hate to say that, but with cancer it might be laying low and bingo back up again with some bleeding.  Too many unknowns with cancer.

Best to you,

Jan

• jazzy1
    Juno22 said:

Thank you Jan.

I would very much appreciate any information you might be able to find regarding the anesthesia and Alzheimer's.  I'm sorry that your mother has this dreadful disease too.  It's not like you didn't have enough to worry about.  What is they say, "you are never given more than you can handle", I know that sometimes I think God must think I'm a Ninja. 

One of the studies talked about how surgeries create inflamation that travels even to the brain, which of course is what would create the problem for mom, and this is aside from the anesthesia.  But again, I don't know if a D&C falls in that group of surgeries that create this inflamation.   I have more work to do to try and get some answers.

Thank you again for being here for me.

Darlene 

Darlene

Mom was diagnosed in '09 and later that year moved her to assisted living facility, as lived alone prior to the move.  I will mention, if one finds a good qualified facility, they're great.  Mom is doing excellent, even has a boyfriend -- and she's not the type to communicate much with the opposite sex.  Plus they do all the care, provide the meals, 24/7 care, give her the daily meds...do it all!!

As mentioned I used to be on the Alzheimer's Association (www.alz.org) website message boards, but don't go anymore as mom is doing well.  Just tried to peek on their site and see what I could find, but don't see exact specifics on the best anesthesia drugs for patients dealing with ALZ.  Might I suggest you go to the ALZ.ORG site and at top is MESSAGE BOARDS, link on this area and will give you option to see the postings as a visitor.  See if you can find information, but when I searched didn't see the exact specifics on drugs.  Not that it's not there, but didn't find what I was looking for.  Another option, on the site is a contact number, call the association and ask them these questions, as they do have some medical staff to assist.

Bottomline, certain  type drugs can cause delerium and suddent escalation of the alzheimer's disease.  Last thing you want is your mom to get worse in her memory after an outpatient procedure.  Don't know if her primary care doc is "geriatric" specialist, but this type of doc might offer insight as that's their speciality...the elderly!

In answer to your question on surgeries create inflammation, I think it's more about the drugs after affects.  I could be wrong but what I'm thinking in my little mind....lol~

Will keep looking for the drug information but thought I'd get you started as you might find what you want on your own.

Hugs,

Jan

• pinky104
    pinky104 Member Posts: 574 Member
    I had surgery at 61 for

I had surgery at 61 for Uterine Serous Papillary Carcinoma which had spread to both ovaries, the omentum, and the ilium.  It was stage IV.  I also had my gallbladder and appendix removed at the same time.  I was in rough shape after the surgery for a couple of months.  The pain was awful.  I couldn't sleep most of the time, and when I did, I had terrible nightmares. The pain killers I was given, narcotics, only made things worse, causing constipation.  I had to have 2 units of blood 2 days after surgery, and more during chemo.  I personally wouldn't put a 92 year old woman through the surgery.  I know from working in an ER that a lot of people are not surgical candidates in their 80's, let alone 92.  For one thing, skin gets paper thin and rips easily, so just getting her put back together might be a problem.

Chemo gave me low blood counts with shortness of breath.  I couldn't walk across a store without stopping to catch my breath.  It also caused me to lose my appetite, which wouldn't be good for an elderly person, since most  probably don't eat as much as they should.  I was fortunate to be given Emend before treatments so I never had nausea and vomiting.

I had a mother who lived to 90.  She got pneumonia three times, in spite of having had the pneumonia vaccine three times while in nursing homes. She was diagnosed once with possible Alzheimer's, but most of the time, her mind was okay (she had a few episodes of odd behavior).  I had to choose whether or not to have her admitted to a hospital for treatment of pneumonia. She didn't want to go, and I didn't think she had quality of life anymore, so I agreed with her, and she died within a week. I never regretted my choice, although I had been very close to her all my life.

I also had a mother-in-law who died after having Alzheimer's for two years.  She screamed like she was in pain all the time.  My sister-in-law thought she had something physically wrong with her and took her to a dentist to rule out an abscessed tooth.  Nothing was ever found to be wrong.  If she gets worse fast, as my mother-in-law did, she may not be able to express what pain she is in.

I had a second surgery last year for an incarcerated incisional hernia (caused by the first surgery). I thought it would be a piece of cake compared to the first surgery, but the first few days were just as bad.  I had pain on the opposite side from where they did the surgery, which I didn't understand, until the nurse told me that they pump you full of gas for the surgery.  I couldn't even get up from the john without stabbing pains.

I definitely wouldn't put anyone else through this. I have managed to survive almost three years now, with no evidence of disease, having had a cancer that I've been told has about a 15% survival rate. But I don't know if I could ever go through the pain of surgery again if it should recur.

Good luck with whatever you decide.