2»

Comments

• ToBeGolden
    ToBeGolden Member Posts: 695
    Options
    CivilMatt said:

keep trying

Jama,

Rather than “learning to live with it” try to figure this out.  Keep telling the doctors and nurses everything that is going on.  You might stumble on something which works.  Usually, after the body adjusts to treatments things will get better, but keep on trying,

Best,

Matt

If

If you haven't been thru it, or walked alongside someone who has been thru it, you have no idea. "Nausea" hardly describes the feeling. I'm currently on the same "chemo" trip and cannot offer any new advice. Keep trying different things. Try "salt": I mean a very very small amount. But "saltines" crackers are a stable of the chemo clinics. I put salt (very very small amount) on everything. I also use an "Energize" Vitimum Pack to flavor my water. I would experiment with flavored waters. There is no rhyme nor reason to what will work.

By the way, I am so very sick (nauseaus) I'm not at all sure that my "advice" makes any sense at all. Please be aware as you read.

Rick.

• Grandmax4
    Grandmax4 Member Posts: 723
    Options
    The mucus

for me, the very worse part of healing was the mucus, I went through so many kleenex my husband said he wished he owned stock in them. The only thing I could keep down was watered down orange juice ( no pulp). All my life, I've hated orange juice, but I craved it at this time, now, I'm back to loathing it again,...this went on for a couple months, so beware. I'm now, 1 year and 4 months out and doing good, still once in a while, the mucus reappears to annoy the crap out of me!!

Praying for you and your hubby, the day will come when this will be behind you, stay strong

• amy_h414
    amy_h414 Member Posts: 98
    Options
    scopolamine patch

You might want to ask about getting the scopolamine patch for your husband to try. It's a motion sickness patch - my husband got it to help dry up the mucous that was making him terribly nauseated.

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    Options
    amy_h414 said:

scopolamine patch

You might want to ask about getting the scopolamine patch for your husband to try. It's a motion sickness patch - my husband got it to help dry up the mucous that was making him terribly nauseated.

work?

Did it actually work drying up the mucous?

• Kent Cass
    Kent Cass Member Posts: 1,898 Member
    Options
    jcortney said:

work?

JAMA

Hope things are getting better with the vomits, as I call them. You can view my Profile to get my C&R regiment. I can honestly say the only vomits I had thru it all was a direct cause of overnight mucous buildup, and it got so that I really didn't have any problems with getting less than 4-hours sleep at night- less time for the mucous to become a problem. I did take Compazine for those few early-mornings in the early days of my tx. Also, I was on an exclusive diet of water/ice by mouth, and Jevity by PEG from the end of week #1-the end of the 8th week of my tx. Jevity is packed with Nutrients, and on some days I only did 2 cans of the 1.5  (4 were recommended). And, remember- putting too much in the stomach really is kinda foolish, if the body is just gonna reject that much with the vomits. Keep moving forward.

kcass

• amy_h414
    Options
    jcortney said:

work?

It did work to dry him up. He

It did work to dry him up. He didn't like the way it made him feel, so he quit using it. I can't remember what the side effect was but I don't think it was anything major. Anyway, it's worth a shot, maybe he won't have any issues with it.

• Crazymom
    Crazymom Member Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Stomach

Zofran worked for me until the last week of radiation.  I took two a day and never let me stomach get upset.   Hang in there!  Ann

• Jama
    Jama Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello Angels,
    Russ has made a

Hello Angels,

Russ has made a complete turn around since Saturday.  Remember Friday we went to ER and got fluids, we stopped the Vicadin and he started spitting out his mucous as much as he could.  Saturday afternoon he ate some jello again and later tried some chicken noodle soup not much mind you but he kept it down.  Sunday he woke up and was just the same but now we are without pain med and taking an extra dose of Zofran.  Zofran, four hours later Compazine all day.  I put some oatmeal in front of him and said try it, if you vomit what else is new.  He ate only about 4 bites and then he slept.  Woke up about three hours later and finished his chicken soup.  Later ate some jello.  All stayed down and no nausea by the time we went to bed.  He did have a slight stomach pain but tolerable.  Monday had rad without nausea and ate a banana and other stuff throughout the day.  Today has been eating and even is hungry.  Nothing tastes right but isn't sick.  What a miraculous turn around.  I truly believe it was a miracle.  He and I both kind of hit rock bottom on Sunday morning and maybe we let it go to let God.Smile  He took over from there.  He even went to work for awhile today.  We just can't believe the difference.

Rick, please keep coming to this site so all these people can help you too.  There is hope.  There is better days. 

Now I ask, should I keep updating this or do I stop?  Is this selfish that I write about what is wrong with us?  Believe me if I can help anyone else by this I would like too.

Know that you are all in our daily prayers and appreciate your support.  And yes, we see the Onc Doc on Thursday so will ask about the Emend and Ativan.  Maybe also the patches.  It does seem that I have to bring things up and almost tell them we need to try something different.  Also will be seeing a speech therapist next week.

Sincerely,

Jeannie and Russ

• jcortney
    jcortney Member Posts: 503
    Options
    Jama said:

Hello Angels,
    Russ has made a

Hello Angels,

Russ has made a complete turn around since Saturday.  Remember Friday we went to ER and got fluids, we stopped the Vicadin and he started spitting out his mucous as much as he could.  Saturday afternoon he ate some jello again and later tried some chicken noodle soup not much mind you but he kept it down.  Sunday he woke up and was just the same but now we are without pain med and taking an extra dose of Zofran.  Zofran, four hours later Compazine all day.  I put some oatmeal in front of him and said try it, if you vomit what else is new.  He ate only about 4 bites and then he slept.  Woke up about three hours later and finished his chicken soup.  Later ate some jello.  All stayed down and no nausea by the time we went to bed.  He did have a slight stomach pain but tolerable.  Monday had rad without nausea and ate a banana and other stuff throughout the day.  Today has been eating and even is hungry.  Nothing tastes right but isn't sick.  What a miraculous turn around.  I truly believe it was a miracle.  He and I both kind of hit rock bottom on Sunday morning and maybe we let it go to let God.Smile  He took over from there.  He even went to work for awhile today.  We just can't believe the difference.

Rick, please keep coming to this site so all these people can help you too.  There is hope.  There is better days. 

Now I ask, should I keep updating this or do I stop?  Is this selfish that I write about what is wrong with us?  Believe me if I can help anyone else by this I would like too.

Know that you are all in our daily prayers and appreciate your support.  And yes, we see the Onc Doc on Thursday so will ask about the Emend and Ativan.  Maybe also the patches.  It does seem that I have to bring things up and almost tell them we need to try something different.  Also will be seeing a speech therapist next week.

Sincerely,

Jeannie and Russ

Keep Writing!!

Write to us 10 times a day if it helps.  The folks here will always be there for you and we're truly glad to hear from you.  Russ is truly lucky to have such a great caregiver as you.

Good luck, and keep writing.

Joe Cortney

Dallas, TX

• phrannie51
    phrannie51 Member Posts: 4,716
    Options
    Jama said:

Hello Angels,
    Russ has made a

Hello Angels,

Sincerely,

Jeannie and Russ

Ditto Joe!!!

Absolutely keep writing here!!  It is NOT selfish.....in this disease, when things seem to be going nothing but downhill, this is the place to go!

There will come a time, when all that you've been thru will be of great benefit to others coming in....part of what makes this site so wonderful, is a person can ask questions when things get rough, and many people offer suggestions.  If one doesn't work, we can move on to the next....eventually something will work.  I had that experience all thru treatment....thank gawd for many thoughts and many ideas.

p

• amy_h414
    Options
    Jama said:

Hello Angels,
    Russ has made a

Hello Angels,

Sincerely,

Jeannie and Russ

be vocal with the docs

"It does seem that I have to bring things up and almost tell them we need to try something different."

Yes! Don't be afraid to tell them if something's not working or doesn't seem right. My husband's rad onc told him to keep them informed of how he's feeling or any skin changes because they have a variety of tricks up their sleeves to help with the effects of treatment. If something's not working well, they can probably try something else.