husband could eat and now can't

My husband with Stage III EC finished with six weeks of radiation and chemo on June 15 of this year. He does have the feeding tube, but was able to eat, and now again, can't eat by mouth. He has pain and lots of stomach acid. What would cause him to be able to eat, and then not? He had a PET scan today, and has the doc on Wednesday August 1st, but it's so hard, and wondering why he can eat one week, and then not, by mouth?

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • DianaPaul
    DianaPaul Member Posts: 6
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks
    He did not have surgery yet. He has an appointment on Wednesday 8/1 with doctor to get scan results and to discuss what's next. Tumor was in lower part of his esophagus, near top of stomach. He's very thin. He has PEG feeding tube and we've been using that. He tolerates food very well with the tube. He goes from being able to eat by mouth to not being able to eat. When he has trouble eating, he gets sick, mostly stomach acid coming up. Poor guy. He's only 51.

He was diagnosed on April 14th of this year. Finished 6 weeks of chemo and radiation on June 15.
  • Josie60
    Josie60 Member Posts: 80
    DianaPaul said:

Thanks
    He did not have surgery yet. He has an appointment on Wednesday 8/1 with doctor to get scan results and to discuss what's next. Tumor was in lower part of his esophagus, near top of stomach. He's very thin. He has PEG feeding tube and we've been using that. He tolerates food very well with the tube. He goes from being able to eat by mouth to not being able to eat. When he has trouble eating, he gets sick, mostly stomach acid coming up. Poor guy. He's only 51.

He was diagnosed on April 14th of this year. Finished 6 weeks of chemo and radiation on June 15.

I'm not sure I have any help
    I'm not sure I have any help but it sounds similar to my experience. My EC was stage 3 and at the junction of the esophagus and stomach, dignosed in March of this year. I was eating until the last 2 weeks of chemo and radiation then I just lost interest in food and swallowing liquid was almost impossible so the oncologist ordered a nasal feeding tube. That was the only way I could get nutrition.

I think the Radition to the esophagus irritated or burned the tissue badly enough that it made it difficult to get anything down.

my surgery was June 5 - 6 weeks after the other treatments were completed. I am still in recovery mode but optimistic about my future. I have a lot to learn about surviving this monster.
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Is your husband taking
    Is your husband taking anything for the acid reflux? He should be if not. The acid can also cause extreme irritation, which he doesn't need. I'm 4 1/2 yrs past surgery and I still have to take medicine to control the acid. If he's not sleeping elevated, he should. I can't lie down at all unless my upper body is elevated. If I do, I have problems. A lot of mine now is from the surgery, but the elevation helps wheather. you've had surgery or not.
    Praying his swallowing will improve,
    Sandra
  • DianaPaul
    sandy1943 said:

Is your husband taking
    Is your husband taking anything for the acid reflux? He should be if not. The acid can also cause extreme irritation, which he doesn't need. I'm 4 1/2 yrs past surgery and I still have to take medicine to control the acid. If he's not sleeping elevated, he should. I can't lie down at all unless my upper body is elevated. If I do, I have problems. A lot of mine now is from the surgery, but the elevation helps wheather. you've had surgery or not.
    Praying his swallowing will improve,
    Sandra

Thanks
    Yes, he is taking pills for the acid reflux, BUT, he is not sleeping elevated. Great point, and I'll see that he sleeps elevated in the future. It's wierd. He goes from being able to eat one day, to not being able to eat the next. Today, he can eat. Yesterday morning, no, last night for dinner, yes. Hmmm. He's got the doc tomorrow. I'm going too and I've got a lot of questions. He never asks anything.

THanks to all who responded. I appreciate your advice.

Diana
  • DianaPaul
    Josie60 said:

I'm not sure I have any help
    I'm not sure I have any help but it sounds similar to my experience. My EC was stage 3 and at the junction of the esophagus and stomach, dignosed in March of this year. I was eating until the last 2 weeks of chemo and radiation then I just lost interest in food and swallowing liquid was almost impossible so the oncologist ordered a nasal feeding tube. That was the only way I could get nutrition.

I think the Radition to the esophagus irritated or burned the tissue badly enough that it made it difficult to get anything down.

my surgery was June 5 - 6 weeks after the other treatments were completed. I am still in recovery mode but optimistic about my future. I have a lot to learn about surviving this monster.

Thanks
    I'm glad you're doing better. My husband has the abdominal PEG feeding tube. It's been a lifesaver, too. I've been giving him some pretty good concoctions through it.

You have been a help. Thank you.

Diana
  • jim2011
    jim2011 Member Posts: 115
    DianaPaul said:

Thanks
    Yes, he is taking pills for the acid reflux, BUT, he is not sleeping elevated. Great point, and I'll see that he sleeps elevated in the future. It's wierd. He goes from being able to eat one day, to not being able to eat the next. Today, he can eat. Yesterday morning, no, last night for dinner, yes. Hmmm. He's got the doc tomorrow. I'm going too and I've got a lot of questions. He never asks anything.

THanks to all who responded. I appreciate your advice.

Diana

elevated sleep
    It is very important. Maybe hard to get used to at first but along with acid reducers he will get some good sleep. If I slip off my wedge and pillows I will be up for an hour coughing and have even iced my throat. My surgery was in April 2011. I wish you the best.
    Jim
  • DianaPaul
    jim2011 said:

elevated sleep
    It is very important. Maybe hard to get used to at first but along with acid reducers he will get some good sleep. If I slip off my wedge and pillows I will be up for an hour coughing and have even iced my throat. My surgery was in April 2011. I wish you the best.
    Jim

found out the tumor shrunk - the good news
    But now he needs an MRI because something is showing on his liver that wasn't there before. I know, I know. They said it could be nothing, but... And can they operate on the liver and take out the tumor if it's cancer?

Diana
  • DianaPaul said:

found out the tumor shrunk - the good news
    But now he needs an MRI because something is showing on his liver that wasn't there before. I know, I know. They said it could be nothing, but... And can they operate on the liver and take out the tumor if it's cancer?

Diana

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Freida
    Freida Member Posts: 182
    After chemo and radiation
    After chemo and radiation was completed, Bill started having problems eating which he had not had before or during treatment. It turned out he had severe ulceration in his esophagus from the radiation. This was discovered when he his scans/scopes 5-6 weeks after the radiation/chemo regime was complete. Have your docs checked if that might be the problem?