I 'm new

Options
hi, I'm just find out I have colon cancer waiting for surgeon and did not know what stage i am any advise from anyone please do

Comments

• glinka65
    glinka65 Member Posts: 132
    Options
    hey
    sorry your here....cancer SUCKS..when you are staged you will get any and all info you need here, from the most wonderful people in the world. good luck with surgery keep us posted
  • glinka65
    Options
    hey
    sorry your here....cancer SUCKS..when you are staged you will get any and all info you need here, from the most wonderful people in the world. good luck with surgery keep us posted
  • glinka65
    Options
    hey
  • glinka65
    Options
    hey
  • Maxiecat
    Maxiecat Member Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your
    I am so sorry about your cancer diagnosis. I am new here too...i had my surgery on 6/15and after healing started chemo on 7/23. My only advice is to bring someone you trust with you to your appointments. I think i went numb at one point...it really helped to have my husband ask the questions that we had discussed before the appointment. Oh...and if you think you might forget something...write your questions down.

Alex
  • danker
    danker Member Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    {'m New
    Above all stop being afraid. It acn, and in your case will be beat. I wasn't dxed untill I was 77, Am now 80 and NED(NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE)Various problems along the way, so it wasn't easy, But doable. Just take it a day at atime and enjoy all your good days. Best of luck to you!!
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Options
    ditto
    ditto
  • peterz54
    peterz54 Member Posts: 341
    Options
    Please don't assume the
    Please don't assume the worst. There are many people on this forum who have been living with cancer for many years and undergone various treatments and who can provide moral support as well as good answers to your more technical questions.

As for your particular case, your cancer should have been staged prior to bringing in a surgeon. If you are not bleeding and not obstructive surgery is usually no longer advised as the first step for the most advanced stage of colorectal cancer.

Try to educate yourself and stay positive. Very important. make sure you get complete answers from your medical team and ask questions about anything you are not sure of. Keep records including your own copies of all labs and scans and assessments.

I recommend reviewing National Comprehensive Cancer Network guidelines for patients to help you understand what you are dealing with and the basic treatment options.

scroll to colon cancer guide
    NCCN Guides for Patients

Studies show that diet is very important for cancer patients as is exercise. See my post on Dr Saltz of Sloan Ketterin Cancer Center:
    Diet & Exercise for Cancer Patients

If you have surgery make sure you use a surgeon who specializes in colorectal surgery - do not use a general surgeon. Studies show that outcomes are better when specialized surgeons are involved.

I wish the best...