Ran into first RN with a 'tude about not using lympho arm Update!

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2012 in Breast Cancer #1
Yesterday, I had an appt with ortho because I'm still having some pain and decreased ROM in non mast. arm. The pain startee during last CAT about 2 months ago. I saw my PA. and she thought I might have gotten a little tear from holding position for the CAT. So when I saw her a month after that appt (for the rest of my semi-annual that didn't get done the appt the month before), arm is still hurting with certain movements so she put in for an appt. with Ortho which was yesterday (had X-ray of upper arm and nothing show up YEH). Dr sent me to PT for exercises - luckily the PT I've seen before was there and said she'd go ahead and see me without an appt.

Anyway back to the point. I was called back by Dr's RN for check-in. I go in and he starts talking about he didn't understand why my PA hadn't ordered an ERM (I think that what he called it) to check on electrical impluses to why I'm loosing feeling. Ah I'm not having lose of feeling in hand, I have pain in upper arm. Then he decides to do BP. He starts toward right arm (sleeve and glove on - long sleeve shirt so sleeve not visiable but glove was very visiable). I said No use the other. He did. And while it was doing it's thing he went back to PC. It started beeping, he turns around and says "Why's it doing that ?". I popped back "I have no clue." Then tells me "It's because you have high BP - it's 149 over 91! How high do you usually go?" My reply was "You're looking at all my records - you can see that I'm always well within normal or on the low side." He went on to tell me that of course it would be higher because I wouldn't let him use my right arm so it could be on the sink next to the chair to elevate it like he has it set up for. Well, then he decided he would do it mannually. So he played this game of moving the machine over to the left so I could put my arm across the 'basket' on it. He put the mannual pump on and pumped it up and swung back to the PC and about 30 sec. later he came back and did it. Asked him what he came up with then - said 118 over 62 - that's not unusual for me.

Sorry for rambling on! I've been dealing with IBC for 2 1/2 yrs and am 2 yrs, 3mths post mast. This is the first time I have run into such and ignorant/insensitive RN anywhere. I know many have but this is the first for me. (Monday I have my port flush so I will have a long talk with my PA's RN).

Susan

Comments

• Frankie Shannon
    Frankie Shannon Member Posts: 457
    Options
    I don't understand why they
    I don't understand why they didn't do an MRI as xrays don't always show if there,s a tear or a frozen shoulder my Ortho Dr.did two shots of cortisone and PT its a whole lot better but every now and then if i move it wrong it,s still a little sore.It's been a year and a half I've been dealing with it.Yes it sounds like you had a very insensitive RN sorry you went thorough all that.Frankie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

I don't understand why they didn't do an MRI as xrays don't always show if there,s a tear or a frozen shoulder my Ortho Dr.did two shots of cortisone and PT its a whole lot better but every now and then if i move it wrong it,s still a little sore.It's been a year and a half I've been dealing with it.Yes it sounds like you had a very insensitive RN sorry you went thorough all that.Frankie

People...
    Some people never cease to amaze me! Fortunately, I have never had problem with anyone when I tell them they can only use my left arm....I have run across a few "aides" who do the BP, temps etc that have a "tude" I gently remind them, you work for me...! I am paying every time I walk into this place, thus they work for me...haha....I actually told one she needed an attitude adjustment, or find another line of work....that I didn't want to be there in the first place but had no choice so the least she could do was be pleasant.....and I also inform my physician if I have any problem with staff...I know that may sound bitchy to some, but I worked in medicine for years...as a rule, the physician has no clue what his staff does or how they act unless you tell them...they have a right to know...as their staff ALSO represents their entire practice... I've always told people to not be intimidated by a physician or staff...

Hate it Susan that you had to deal with such insensitivity...
    Hugs, Nancy
  • Rague
    Options

Why would I have wanted
    Why would I have wanted another MRI and all that radiation when I had a Bone Scan in June or July and a CAT about 2 1/2 months ago? The X ray was to be sure that there hadn't been any mets in that localized area - none. Dr sent me to PT. I was able to get in without an appt to see the PT I've seen before. I'll see her again in March - she told me what she wants me doing with the machines at the Base Gym til then. Ortho Dr wants to see me in 2 months.

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Why would I have wanted
    Why would I have wanted another MRI and all that radiation when I had a Bone Scan in June or July and a CAT about 2 1/2 months ago? The X ray was to be sure that there hadn't been any mets in that localized area - none. Dr sent me to PT. I was able to get in without an appt to see the PT I've seen before. I'll see her again in March - she told me what she wants me doing with the machines at the Base Gym til then. Ortho Dr wants to see me in 2 months.

Susan

I get so 'heated' by this topic
    I continuous run into Rn's with attitudes regarding having to take my blood pressure, via
    my leg or ankle.

I try to behave and ask them if they would like to to explain myself, and situation another
    RN on staff, or Doctor.

That 'blank' or deer in headlights stare -- scares me .. what they are conveying to me is .. "I don't have a clue to what you are saying, or what needs to be done" ..

Vicki Sam
  • Rague
    Options
    VickiSam said:

I continuous run into Rn's with attitudes regarding having to take my blood pressure, via
    my leg or ankle.

I try to behave and ask them if they would like to to explain myself, and situation another
    RN on staff, or Doctor.

That 'blank' or deer in headlights stare -- scares me .. what they are conveying to me is .. "I don't have a clue to what you are saying, or what needs to be done" ..

Vicki Sam

Forgot something else that was funny - I'm a good puppy dog.
    After we went through the BP game, he was back on the PC and asks "Did you know you have an appoint on Monday for a Nursing Procedure?" "Yeah - my monthly port flush!" And went on to tell him ALL the scheduled appts.. He got quiet for a while and then says "You're current on all your shots (I'm a good puppy dog and make sure I keep my shots current) and you even have your Advanced Directives on file (DUH) so I can't do anything."

I know there are many who have had to deal with such mal-behavior but this was the first I've had to. If he had siad I don't want to use left arm for BP (that's where the issues are that I was to see Dr for)) then the only option would have been ankle/leg and I was prepared for that possibility but he never said that. Just wanted to use right arm because that's how he set up for which 'ain't no way on God's green Earth' that was happening. ( Just had a thought - how could an accurate BP be gotten in an arm with significant LE issues and.a sleeve/glove on?)

My care is through VA and has been for many years - I have never had the least complaint (my IBC DX, and all TX was all out-sourced to the local CCI) but this guy was at the VA center. I hope he is not just one of those who do not think some women are Veterans too - there are some. I have an appt with that Dr in 2 months so very well might have that RN again. Will go in 'ready' for him but will let him set the 'stage' - hopefully last week was just a 'bad day' for him (no excuse for really).

I'm not 'worried' - I'm a tough old ('you' fill in the word 'you' think fits). I'll handle it. I guess the first time in 2 1/2 years to actually see the stupidity is what got to me.

Susan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    What a jerk! He gives RN's
    What a jerk! He gives RN's everywhere a bad name. And I am not understanding why one arm would have a different B/P than the other? The electric B/P machines are not super accurate and I have noticed that my cardiologist's office never uses them. Also improper cuff size can affect accuracy--a too big cuff will give you a false low and a too small cuff will give you a higher reading. Clothes can affect the reading too.

I am glad that you are see an ortho now and hope that the PT gives you some relief. If not, you might ask for a neuro consult. But I would give the PT a chance. They have helped me a lot with many different issues.

Good luck and let us know how you are feeling.
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

my leg or ankle.

RN on staff, or Doctor.

Vicki Sam

With a history of 17 years, I give the directives!
    I have been in the game to long, there are times I would like to retire from it all.

For BP, I present the only arm that will be cuffed. When that arm has an IV in it. I present my leg. Occasionally I have had them look at the other arm. I shake my head "no".

Blood - it's hell! - I'm a hard stick, no veins and one arm. I have a line -" 2 tries and your out" (sometimes it's one try and your out), depending how I feel about the person drawing or accessing. There is nothing worse than a phlebotomist, RN or those scan techs who are chirpy and thinks they have seen it all. I dread them but, I know how to deal with them too.

My line is this - "Two lymph nodes dissections, 4 bouts of cellulitis and this arm still has no lymphedema and no one ever touches it except me". I've been known to walk out.

If it's for a blood test or a scan and they have no luck on 3 tries, I am out of there, another day, we can try again.

Say it with a smile but with a firmness of a rock. It does work!

Doris
  • Frankie Shannon
    Options
    Rague said:

Why would I have wanted

Susan

MRI's don't have radiation,x
    MRI's don't have radiation,x rays do sorry i didn't realize you'd had a bone scan and cat scan with in a few months.Hope it works out with PT thats good you get one that you have had before.

Frankie
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

What a jerk! He gives RN's
    What a jerk! He gives RN's everywhere a bad name. And I am not understanding why one arm would have a different B/P than the other? The electric B/P machines are not super accurate and I have noticed that my cardiologist's office never uses them. Also improper cuff size can affect accuracy--a too big cuff will give you a false low and a too small cuff will give you a higher reading. Clothes can affect the reading too.

I am glad that you are see an ortho now and hope that the PT gives you some relief. If not, you might ask for a neuro consult. But I would give the PT a chance. They have helped me a lot with many different issues.

Good luck and let us know how you are feeling.

He's a jerk
    Plain and simple. A jerk. I like your reference to not wanting to be there and at least he could do is be pleasant. I'm going to remember that one.

Do any of you wear a bracelet or something identifying which arm to use in case you're unconscious and can't tell people?

Which then brings me to this question that popped into my little brain just now. I had bilateral pelvic lymph nodes removed when I had my surgery and staging for endometrial cancer. I do not have lymphedema, but I know it happens just like it can happen in our arms in breast cancer. Do you think that would effect using my legs?. Oh, the things we think about sometimes.

And, for those of you who have had a bilateral mastectomy, what do you all use your legs for bp, blood draws, IV's etc? It never really occurred to me until I saw VickiSam's post - which prompted the question about lower extremity problems.

Suzanne
  • Rague
    Options

MRI's don't have radiation,x
    MRI's don't have radiation,x rays do sorry i didn't realize you'd had a bone scan and cat scan with in a few months.Hope it works out with PT thats good you get one that you have had before.

Frankie

Your MRi's may have been
    Your MRi's may have been different than the ones I've had. I go in and once in my cubicle, the RN brings in the lead box with the injection. Radiation injected into me. Have to wait a time so it circulated before the Scan was done. That radiation was directly injected into my whole body - I'll take a Xray to a small area before my whole body gets hit .

Hubby is a Journeyman Electrician and worked quite a while at the hospital when they were doing the new MRI unit. The walls have special drywall on them that has lead backing.

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

He's a jerk
    Plain and simple. A jerk. I like your reference to not wanting to be there and at least he could do is be pleasant. I'm going to remember that one.

Do any of you wear a bracelet or something identifying which arm to use in case you're unconscious and can't tell people?

Which then brings me to this question that popped into my little brain just now. I had bilateral pelvic lymph nodes removed when I had my surgery and staging for endometrial cancer. I do not have lymphedema, but I know it happens just like it can happen in our arms in breast cancer. Do you think that would effect using my legs?. Oh, the things we think about sometimes.

And, for those of you who have had a bilateral mastectomy, what do you all use your legs for bp, blood draws, IV's etc? It never really occurred to me until I saw VickiSam's post - which prompted the question about lower extremity problems.

Suzanne

Suzanne .. Personally, I have blood draws
    from my feet. I've researched alternative area's for blood drawls .... recently try this out (pre - surgery) testing -- 2 weeks ago ..

Butterfly needle - a MUST for this blood drawl - top of my right hand (non - cancer side), no rubber or latex ties -- the stabs or pricks hurt, however, we had success in locating a
    good vein -- 3 vials blood.

Allow you hand to drop to your side for 1 minute, pump 6 times -- pull your hand up .. when your Blood Tech can then enter you veins with butterfly needle. Hydration is also the key to success in this type of blood drawl.

Vicki Sam
  • Frankie Shannon
    Options
    Rague said:

Your MRi's may have been
    Your MRi's may have been different than the ones I've had. I go in and once in my cubicle, the RN brings in the lead box with the injection. Radiation injected into me. Have to wait a time so it circulated before the Scan was done. That radiation was directly injected into my whole body - I'll take a Xray to a small area before my whole body gets hit .

Hubby is a Journeyman Electrician and worked quite a while at the hospital when they were doing the new MRI unit. The walls have special drywall on them that has lead backing.

Susan

I learn something new every
    I learn something new every day,i see why you would take Xray,yes mine is totally different best to you.

Hugs Frankie
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The man is an idiot and
    The man is an idiot and should be reported
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Options

He's a jerk

Suzanne

I had a bilaterial but lymph
    I had a bilaterial but lymph nodes were only removed from my right side so that gives me my left arm to use.
  • camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    Options
    I have not had this tude from the nurses
    but have from techs who do not want to use the port. Now I just tell them that is why I have it and they now have me walk to the out patient area (about 30 feet from the nuclear scanning area). These nurses get the port right away and know what they are doing, but it did take quite a few times before the main tech (whom I get every-time), realized I was not backing down.

I have the hardest time right now with smells from the chemo I am on. It is so hard when techs or nurses have body odor, it takes everything in me not to literally get sick to my stomach. Some is perfumes and some is just plain body odor. But as long as they are nice I deal!

Hopefully Susan, the next time will be different.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Options
    Is he is the only RN available to you?
    Dear Susan,

Is he the only RN available to you or can you ask for another RN? I stand firm when it comes to what they are going to do and they are not doing it correctly. I use humor in telling them what not to do. It generally works and they relax. And I keep up with the humor.

I like the way you handled the RN. You stood your ground.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Your MRi's may have been

Susan

MRI
    There are two ways to have an MRI. One is with contrast and that is why you had the dye injection. There is another type without contrast, no injection. It depends what your doctor ordered and what needs to be checked.

Doris
  • Rague
    Options
    Update - he's gone!
    Well, yesterday I had my follow up appt. with Ortho and guess what - the male RN is no longer with VA. Don't know why but when the RN called me back I said I was glad that I wasn't having to deal with 'Him' she said. "You don't have to worry about that - he's no longer with VA.". Wonder what else he had done as I'm sure as inappropriate as he was with me, that along would not have been enough to get him gone. I had told my RN about it when she did my flush and she wrote down everything and said she'd be sure my PA got it. That may have been the 'straw that broke the camel's back'. Anyway - he's gone.

Don't have to see Ortho Dr again (unless something else should happen). Still having some slight pain when doing some movements but it's minor and goes away as soon as I quit stressing it and back to probably 90+% ROM even though I wasn't able to get to the gym as much as I should thanks to the cataracts getting bad and refusing to drive myself with not seeing as good as I felt I should to drive. Hubby would have taken me more but on days he's the duty driver he can be called out at a moments notice and may be back in an hour or the next morning. Cataract surgery is done so now I can drive myself again so hitting the gym again with a vengenance. So anyway Dr says that with the improvement so far just 'keep on keepin' on'.

Winyan - The Power Within

Susan