My mom can't eat or drink anything

Options
My mom's doctor told us that there are no more options for her. Basically he has given her the talk and offered hospice as an option. She did a test and found that the tumor appears to be blocking her intestine......as a result, anything she eats (which is nothing) or drinks comes out after 15 mins. She lost about 10 pounds in the past month. She is down to 75 pounds.

Placing a tube or stent may not be a good idea because of how weak she is. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this and could advise me. Thanks!

Comments

• joan60
    joan60 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Thinking of you
    My thoughts of strength are being sent your way. I wish I had some advice for you. I truelly hate this decease for what it does to your family and friends, not to mention to yourself.
    Stay strong,
    Joan
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Wish I had an answer
    for you. Joan's advice is very good, stay strong as you can. Hospice care can be a wonderful option. Please let us know how you both are doing.
    ((((HUGS))) Maria
  • sheryl912
    sheryl912 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    So sorry
    So sorry you are going through this. I know very little about th aside from what I have reas in other posts, but would tpn help? Might br something to ask the doc about before calling in hospice, as I am fairly sure you can't be on tpn while in hospice. Good luck and God bless you both as you go through this.

Sheryl
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I don''t want to seem insensitive
    as I respect how difficult this situation is for everyone. This is an end of life issue, and the decision needs to be made based on what her desires are. At this point, depending on how she sees things, this could be viewed as merely prolonging a no-win situation. Hopefully, this is something that has been discussed with her from time to time throughout this ordeal. While I may know what I would do, my own personal opinion is for me only, and would have no bearing on what she should decide.

Wishing all of you the best.
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options

I don''t want to seem insensitive
    as I respect how difficult this situation is for everyone. This is an end of life issue, and the decision needs to be made based on what her desires are. At this point, depending on how she sees things, this could be viewed as merely prolonging a no-win situation. Hopefully, this is something that has been discussed with her from time to time throughout this ordeal. While I may know what I would do, my own personal opinion is for me only, and would have no bearing on what she should decide.

Wishing all of you the best.

If your mom is still alive,
    If your mom is still alive, please get hospice care for her. It sounds like the doctor is not going to intervene to relieve her intestinal obstruction. Your mom is gonna need some serious pain management to carry her thru her transition. Intestinal obstructions are very painful. I am so sorry you are in this position to be making such decisions.