Surgery Was A Success-We're Back Home

Heeran
Heeran Member Posts: 171
I feel like I just ran a marathon or climbed Mount Everest. Last 4 months have been brutal for my mom and tiring for me but it paid off! Surgery was successful and now we're back home. I prayed and prayed (and asked members of this group to pray) and my prayers have been answered. Mom had surgery two weeks ago and except for some trouble the day of surgery and a great deal of pain from all of the cutting and tubes, she is much better now. She's taking a nap right now looking peaceful. She can go 12 hours at a time now without pain meds. Had our 2 week followup with our surgeon and he stated that they took out 9 lymph nodes which only 1 had a little bit of cancer and the original tumor had only dead cells. He said she had excellent results with the chemo/radiation. She even had her first non-liquid food yesterday and so far so good.

When we started this process, researching the internet gave me grim hopes. But thanks to this board for support, getting through treatment, surgery, and now recovery, I feel so fortunate to have my mom again. The best news is that she and my had both quit smoking!!!. They have tried for decades with no success, but now they are smoke free and focusing on their futures. All I have to say is Whew!!!!

I got to sleep in my own bed 3 nights in a row and it was soooo nice. Prior to that, I was taking care of my mom during the day, then do dinner/bath/put the kids down to bed, and then sleeping back at my mom's house before surgery. I feel like our life can go back to the norm although with what we went through, it will never be like before, but I think it could be better. Mom will now focus on retirement, exercising, taking dogs for walk, hanging out more with grandchildren, signing up for english class, and anything else she can fit in her schedule. 4 months ago I was grieving her, and now I feel so lucky she has a second chance at life.

Heeran
Daughter of Mom with Squamous cell Stage 3b, T3N2M0

Comments

• Donna70
    Donna70 Member Posts: 852 Member
    so glad
    Heeran,
    So glad to see that all is going well for your Mom. It is a long rough road but so worth it to get thru the surgery. It will take time for your Mom to get back the energy and regular activities but each week will bring improvement. Did they decide to do post surgery chemo? Whatever was decided it is wonderful she had a good response to the chemo and radiation. Glad to hear you are having more of a normal life now. Many wishes that this all continues on a healing path for you both. take care,
    Donna70
  • paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Great News!!!
    Heeran,

I have been wondering how your Mom's surgery went. I know she was very afraid of the surgery. I am sure she is happy to have that behind her.

Glad to hear the overall response to the pre-surgery treatment plan was good. Have they decided about a post surgery chemo treatment for the positive node found in the pathology?

The good news is the cancer is out and she is home recovering!!!!

Best Regards,

Paul Adams
    McCormick, South Carolina

DX 10/22/2009 T2N1M0 Stage IIB
    12/03/2009 Ivor Lewis
    2/8 through 6/14/2010 Adjuvant Chemo Cisplatin, Epirubicin, 5 FU
    Two year survivor

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance!
  • Heeran
    Heeran Member Posts: 171
    Donna70 said:

so glad
    Heeran,
    So glad to see that all is going well for your Mom. It is a long rough road but so worth it to get thru the surgery. It will take time for your Mom to get back the energy and regular activities but each week will bring improvement. Did they decide to do post surgery chemo? Whatever was decided it is wonderful she had a good response to the chemo and radiation. Glad to hear you are having more of a normal life now. Many wishes that this all continues on a healing path for you both. take care,
    Donna70

Post Op Chemo
    We met with the surgical oncologist and he stated that clean up chemo was not necessary since he got the 1 lymph node that had some positive carcinoma but we're meeting with the regular oncologist on Jan. 11th. I'm guessing he'll have final say. I don't remember him being of fan of clean up chemo but I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
  • JReed
    JReed Member Posts: 428
    Great news!
    Heeran! What great news - I'm so happy for you and your mom and all of your family. Of course, we'll continue to pray for a great recovery for mom and it sounds like she is well on her way.

I hope that you will be able to take some much needed time and pamper yourself a little. Give yourself a great big hug - you certainly deserve it! What a great daughter you are!

Love,
    Judy
  • sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Wonderful news . You're
    Wonderful news . You're right, life can get back to some normalsy, but it made me cherish every thing so much more.
    Praying that each day will be better and better for your mom,
    Sandra
  • BMGky
    BMGky Member Posts: 621
    Yay!! Happy New Year!!
    Great news. Hopefully, she will have a continuing smooth road to recovery. Sometimes, bumps can appear, but if they do, ask here as there will be someone who has experienced the same problem and can help. Hope she takes it easy and not get too ambitious.
  • Heeran said:

Post Op Chemo
    We met with the surgical oncologist and he stated that clean up chemo was not necessary since he got the 1 lymph node that had some positive carcinoma but we're meeting with the regular oncologist on Jan. 11th. I'm guessing he'll have final say. I don't remember him being of fan of clean up chemo but I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • jss2011
    jss2011 Member Posts: 132
    sandy1943 said:

Wonderful news . You're
    Wonderful news . You're right, life can get back to some normalsy, but it made me cherish every thing so much more.
    Praying that each day will be better and better for your mom,
    Sandra

Wonderful
    Wonderful news!!!

Julie
  • annalan
    annalan Member Posts: 138
    So pleased to read that your
    So pleased to read that your mum's surgery was a success and that your life if gradually returning to normal. You have your mum back and hopefully she will improve a little every day and there's no reason why you shouldn't have her for years to come.
    Ann (2)
    wife of Alan t3n1m0
    Ivor Lewis op March 8 2009
  • ritawaite13
    ritawaite13 Member Posts: 236
    Great news!
    We all hope for good news on this board and you certainly have provided some with this post. What a relief to have the surgery in the rear view mirror. Happy New Year to you!
    Hugs
    Rita
  • Luvs24
    Luvs24 Member Posts: 75

Great news!
    We all hope for good news on this board and you certainly have provided some with this post. What a relief to have the surgery in the rear view mirror. Happy New Year to you!
    Hugs
    Rita

Great news!
    Thank you for sharing the great news. There will be bumps along the way as you do find the new normal. Research, ask questions, talk with this very knowledgeable group about anything that comes up. I have found such comfort in everyone.
    Please remember to watch your mom's reaction to things too, There are so many things that you have to find out on your own, because everyone is different. The best thing we ever did was to write things down that dad ate, his temperature (if it started showing fluctuation)and any noticeable signs of discomfort and if it moved. A couple of weeks after the surgery, dad was rubbing his lower abdomen, but as the days progressed he would rub higher. Didn't even know he was doing it, but because we noted it, we could tell the progression of the healing. It was actually pretty reassuring that there was some progress.
    Best of luck for continued good days!
    Beth
    Daughter of Roy
    IL Robotic 10/7/11
    NED AND just took out the motor home this week visiting with friends!!! :)
  • Cora11
    Cora11 Member Posts: 173
    Luvs24 said:

Great news!
    Thank you for sharing the great news. There will be bumps along the way as you do find the new normal. Research, ask questions, talk with this very knowledgeable group about anything that comes up. I have found such comfort in everyone.
    Please remember to watch your mom's reaction to things too, There are so many things that you have to find out on your own, because everyone is different. The best thing we ever did was to write things down that dad ate, his temperature (if it started showing fluctuation)and any noticeable signs of discomfort and if it moved. A couple of weeks after the surgery, dad was rubbing his lower abdomen, but as the days progressed he would rub higher. Didn't even know he was doing it, but because we noted it, we could tell the progression of the healing. It was actually pretty reassuring that there was some progress.
    Best of luck for continued good days!
    Beth
    Daughter of Roy
    IL Robotic 10/7/11
    NED AND just took out the motor home this week visiting with friends!!! :)

Welcome Home
    Heerean, so happy to hear that your mom did well with surgery. I know that you have been by her side the entire time, and such an amazing advocate and I'm sure that you are feeling immense relief. Your mom is a courageous woman and is probably discovering inner strength that she did not know she possessed. I would also encourage you to ask some very specific questions when you meet with the oncologist. I see that your mom was a T3N2 and that she did have a positive lymph node. I would encourage you to ask your oncologist what the NCCN guidelines state or what data he uses to make his decisions if he chooses not do do post-op chemo. I know that is the last thing you want to think about right now and everything has risk/benefit to it, but you have been so diligent and this stage requires due diligence as well. One always wants to feel content once a decision is made. In the meantime, rest and take comfort in how well your mom has done and you have played a key role in that.
    Happy New Year and continued healing,
    Blessings,
    Cora
  • TerryV
    TerryV Member Posts: 887
    Congratulations, Heeran!
    You have played such an important role in your mom's success. I'm pleased that you're on "the other side" of surgery. She's come so far, don't run scared now if post-op chemo is suggested. It's just one more step of keeping your mom healthy and able to enjoy her grandchildren.

I hope you are able to take some time for yourself now that you're through the surgery phase. There will still be a few bumps, but believe me, they are small compared to where you've been.

Love & Hugs to you both,

Terry
  • sham81
    sham81 Member Posts: 41
    Happy for u
    Hi heeran
    I am really glad to know that u and ur mom have surgery behind u.....I hope u guys the very best ....may god bless your mother and she has a long long life

Shammi
  • sham81
    sham81 Member Posts: 41
    Happy for u
    Hi heeran
    I am really glad to know that u and ur mom have surgery behind u.....I hope u guys the very best ....may god bless your mother and she has a long long life

Shammi
  • MissusB
    MissusB Member Posts: 111
    sham81 said:

Happy for u
    Hi heeran

Shammi

So happy for you and your mother!
    Please keep us posted...I feel like we've all been right in there with you!
  • jgwright
    jgwright Member Posts: 242
    And I add to the Group..
    Fantastic. Good for your mom and for you. Hope my surgery goes as well.

--Jerry
    Adenocarcinoma T4N1M0