Does everyone have extremely lenghthy waits at their doctor's office?

Options
The first time I saw my oncologist in June my appt. was at 9:30. I did not get out of there until almost 2:00. I have had to wait as long as 2 hrs. just for lab work. Once I had to wait 1 1/2 hrs. just for my dr. to determine whether or not i would take a treatment because of low platelets. (he's only in this clinic one day per week). Yesterday I had lab. I arrived at the clinic at 12:45. Because I have to be home when my niece and nephew get off the bus, I had to wait until today for my first Avaistan as maintenance. I left at 2:45. I was told to be there at 8:30. It was almost 1:00 before they began my 30 min. treatment. The dr. had failed to leave my dosage instructions. After 2 hrs. they were finally able to reach him. I then had to wait for him to research the protocol for this treatment. I'm grateful he's up on using what is in the latest research, but that should have been done a few weeks ago.

I think, no doubt, he's way overloaded with patients. I really do like him. He has a great nurse practioner that I see quite frequently. Now this clinic has been purchased by a different hospital. One of the lab workers told me yesterday that because of that they have had to take on even more patients. When I left about 1:30 this afternoon, the waiting room was as still as full as it was at 8:30 a.m.

I guess I just needed to vent. We all know how it feels as though ovca can control our lives if we're not careful. When the wait is so long on every single visit it just becomes discouraging to me.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post. :)

Carla

Comments

• Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    waiting
    the first time I ever stepped into my gyn/oncologist office to see what I was facing, my husband and I waited three hours. Talk about agony! I didn't know what I had or what kind of treatment I was going to being looking at. It was very nerve wracking to say the least. And the waiting room was crowded and depressing!

Afterwards, once we were going there, we started to make people laugh, etc. The nurses commented later on how they thought my husband was "rough" because he complained a lot for waiting.

And yes, Carla, it does good to vent!

Kathy
  • Susan53
    Susan53 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    I never wait more than 10 or 15 min.
    I have never waited more than 10 or 15 min. to be called back to the examining room. They have 2 onc.-gyn in the office. The whole visit is usually not very long. The waiting room usually has husbands waiting for their wife to have chemo. Some are waiting and some are in the room with the wife. My longest visit was when I met with the doctor and he told me all my options and the visit with the chemo nurse. Sometimes we do need to vent, take care Carla, hope it gets better and not worse with the waits. Sharon
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?
    The first time I saw my gynecologic oncologist I was given advance notice that it would be a length wait. My apppointment was for 3:00 or so, and I did not get out of that office until 12 midnight! That's right - midnight! After my diagnosis, surgery, chemo and subsequent visits, recurrance, and I've been seeing him for 12 years, we have all learned to bring something to read, go home for a while (if you live nearby), and just deal with it. He is the best of the best in this state, and I wouldn't go anywhere else. My longest visit was an appointment at 3:30pm and I didn't get out of their till 2AM.

All I can say is that he spends a enormous amount of time with his patients (and I'm sure he has many, many patients). He's in the office only two days a week, at another office for one day, and the other days are surgery days. He is compassionate, kind, thorough - worth the wait. There are two TV's in the waiting room, four leather recliners for patients only, they bring in 'dinner' (usually pizza and dessert and beverages) for the patients, there are TV's in the exam rooms, so even once you get in there you can be occupied. This past year they initiated a new procedure - you call the office at the time of your appointment, they will sign you in, and they will call you (home, cell or wherever) to let you know you're next in line.

As horrible as this sounds, I have yet to see one patient that didn't come back once they knew of the long wait time. And it's difficult when you're not feeling well. But they make a lot of accommodations for certain situations, and have at least changed the check-in procedure to make things easier.

See if they will allow you to sign in and give your phone number to contact you when they're ready. Maybe you can go back home for a while, go shopping, get a bite to eat, or whatever you need to do. I know it's difficult to wait, but maybe after reading my post you'll feel a little better!

Hugs and Prayers, Carla.
    Monika
  • Kaleena
    Kaleena Member Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    mopar said:

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?
    The first time I saw my gynecologic oncologist I was given advance notice that it would be a length wait. My apppointment was for 3:00 or so, and I did not get out of that office until 12 midnight! That's right - midnight! After my diagnosis, surgery, chemo and subsequent visits, recurrance, and I've been seeing him for 12 years, we have all learned to bring something to read, go home for a while (if you live nearby), and just deal with it. He is the best of the best in this state, and I wouldn't go anywhere else. My longest visit was an appointment at 3:30pm and I didn't get out of their till 2AM.

All I can say is that he spends a enormous amount of time with his patients (and I'm sure he has many, many patients). He's in the office only two days a week, at another office for one day, and the other days are surgery days. He is compassionate, kind, thorough - worth the wait. There are two TV's in the waiting room, four leather recliners for patients only, they bring in 'dinner' (usually pizza and dessert and beverages) for the patients, there are TV's in the exam rooms, so even once you get in there you can be occupied. This past year they initiated a new procedure - you call the office at the time of your appointment, they will sign you in, and they will call you (home, cell or wherever) to let you know you're next in line.

As horrible as this sounds, I have yet to see one patient that didn't come back once they knew of the long wait time. And it's difficult when you're not feeling well. But they make a lot of accommodations for certain situations, and have at least changed the check-in procedure to make things easier.

See if they will allow you to sign in and give your phone number to contact you when they're ready. Maybe you can go back home for a while, go shopping, get a bite to eat, or whatever you need to do. I know it's difficult to wait, but maybe after reading my post you'll feel a little better!

Hugs and Prayers, Carla.
    Monika

Monika, you win the prize
    Monika, you win the prize for the longest wait! I forgot that my doctor's office also would indicate that it would be a long wait time and sometimes after you signed in, they would call you if you wanted to go somewhere. Like you said, he was the best of the best in the area. He retired and then I had the great search to find someone similar. I finally did. Now, instead of waiting 3 hours, I have to ride 3 hours to my appointments since he is 3 hours away. Well worth it, though.
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    mopar said:

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?

Hugs and Prayers, Carla.
    Monika

Monika,
    I shouldn't

Monika,

I shouldn't complain! :) This clinic will not allow you to leave. If you do, you are pushed to the "end of the line." I can't imagine waiting as long as you did, I really can't! Thanks Monika!
  • Hen
    Hen Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Lengthy wait
    The length of wait in an oncologist's shouldn't be excessive except on the rare occasion in my experience as a nurse and ovca patient. My surgeon was a gyn/onc who wanted to give my chemo BUT he performed surgery 3+ days per week. So where does that leave me when I'm there for an appointment with him? Waiting. I chose to see a medical oncologist who has a full time practice seeing oncology patients and is available to me when I'm there. Never wait more than 15 minutes.

I know this may not be an ideal solution for everyone, especially if you're in the middle of treatment. However, this problem seems to be one that can be resolved by negotiating it with the MD or office staff. Waiting hours just makes you sicker.

Hope I don't upset anyone with my opinion. Forty years as a nurse has left me very pro-patient.

Sharon
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    only short wait
    I'm sorry that some here are having such extensive waits to see their ONC. I usually have a 15-20 minute wait in the outer office and then sit in my "gown" for another 15 minutes or so before being seen. Those long waits must amp up your anxiety!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • longtermsurvivor
    longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    The waiting time reflects
    the doctor's work ethic as much as anything. Many doctors are very overworked, yet manage to pretty much stay on time. You won't change the doctor's work habits, nor the system within which he works. So you need to decide what is the most important to you. If seeing this particular doctor is the most important thing, then try to be the first scheduled patient of the day, and bring a good book. If not waiting this long is the most important thing, then you might consider switching.

Best regards
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options

The waiting time reflects
    the doctor's work ethic as much as anything. Many doctors are very overworked, yet manage to pretty much stay on time. You won't change the doctor's work habits, nor the system within which he works. So you need to decide what is the most important to you. If seeing this particular doctor is the most important thing, then try to be the first scheduled patient of the day, and bring a good book. If not waiting this long is the most important thing, then you might consider switching.

Best regards

I do like my dr. He's a
    I do like my dr. He's a medical oncologist. He has a great reputation. I had thought about switching, but this is the only cancer clinic within easy driving distance which accepts my insurance. Since my husband died, I have to drive myself, etc. The nearest GYN/ONC is 150 miles away. That is where I had to go for my surgery. My dr. is only at the local clinic here one day per week, so I"m sure that is also a factor in the waits. Oh well...guess for now I'll just have to put up with it. It does increase anxiety waiting that long, that's for sure!