It's cold - how about some comfort food recipes?

Options
sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
I got the wonderful 'Stuffed Pepper Soup' recipe here last year and I'm looking for more. I made a 'diet' soup tonight that the girls at work are passing around. It doesn't taste like diet at all and I figure it's 8 points plus per 3 cup serving if you're doing Weight Watchers (I am)

2 tsp olive oil
1.25 lb ground turkey
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1 bell pepper
8 oz mushrooms
1 14oz can crushed tomatoes
1 32 oz btl reduced sodium V8 or tomato juice
1 14 oz can beans, rinsed & drained. (I like great northern)
1 Tbs fres lemon juice
1 Tbs cumin
1/8 tsp Cayenne
1/4 cup each - Cilantro & Parsley, chopped.

Saute turkey til cooked, drain. Saute veggies til soft, add to turkey. Stir in juice, tomatoes, spices & lemon juice. Just before serving add parsley & cilantro.

Cooks in minutes, makes 16 cups. Really good!

Also discovered Sensible Portions snacks. Look like french fries, variety of flavors 38 of 'em - 3pts plus!

Sue

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    This sounds good Sue. I
    This sounds good Sue. I will have to try it. I love posts like this. I will post some recipes too.

Hugs, Megan
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Cream of leek soup
    I make a great Cream of Leek soup but the way I make it I'm sure Weight Watchers would not approve(LOL). It's like our maid in France made and it's quite 'rich' but I've given it to some and they've "de-riched" it some.

Red potatoes
    leeks
    sausage - like Kielbasa - not ground sausage (can also use ham cubes)
    butter
    whipping cream
    milk
    salt

Slice sausage and brown it. Put aside. Slice leeks and put in pot sausage was browned in, add a stick of butter. Saute them. Cut potatoes to the size you like (leave skin on for color contrast). Return sausage to pot, add a bit of water, milk, cream, the potatoes, salt/pepper to taste and let it cook for a while - the longer the better the flavors join together.

Susan
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Rague said:

Cream of leek soup
    I make a great Cream of Leek soup but the way I make it I'm sure Weight Watchers would not approve(LOL). It's like our maid in France made and it's quite 'rich' but I've given it to some and they've "de-riched" it some.

Red potatoes
    leeks
    sausage - like Kielbasa - not ground sausage (can also use ham cubes)
    butter
    whipping cream
    milk
    salt

Slice sausage and brown it. Put aside. Slice leeks and put in pot sausage was browned in, add a stick of butter. Saute them. Cut potatoes to the size you like (leave skin on for color contrast). Return sausage to pot, add a bit of water, milk, cream, the potatoes, salt/pepper to taste and let it cook for a while - the longer the better the flavors join together.

Susan

Tortilla Soup
    This is my all time fav "comfort food". Good for a cold winter day, but also good anytime you need a boost.

TORTILLA SOUP
    4 Skinless, boneless raw chicken breasts – diced
    1 stick margarine
    ½ cup canola oil
    6 ribs celery – diced
    4 cloves minced garlic (or 4 Tablespoons crushed garlic)
    1 large onion – diced
    1 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper
    1-Tablespoon Salt
    1-Tablespoon Cumin
    1-Tablespoon Chili Powder
    ½ cup flour
    4 Zucchini – sliced in rounds with peeling intact
    1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
    4 cans (10 oz) chicken broth or equal homemade stock
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 fresh jalapeno, seeded & chopped (optional)
    3 Tablespoons Hot Red Pepper Sauce (optional)
    6 to 8 corn tortillas

GARNISHES:
    Sour Cream
    Diced Avocado
    Grated Cheddar Cheese
    Cilantro
    Fresh Chopped Jalapenos
    (I prefer not to have my soup too hot to the taste, and
    therefore don’t use the jalapeno or red pepper sauce)

Heat butter and oil in a large kettle, and sauté chopped onion, jalapeno,
    Garlic, celery and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes. Combine with cumin,
    Chili power, salt, lemon pepper, hot pepper sauce and flour. Add
    Tomatoes, corn, zucchini and chicken stock and simmer for 1 hour.

TO SERVE:
    Cut corn tortillas into strips, and fry until crisp. Serve soup in a bowl, top
    with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced avocados, and place fried
    tortilla strips either on top, or on the side. (Add jalapeno and cilantro if desired)

ENJOY!
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    I will give this some
    I will give this some thought and post when the weather is colder..it is still upper 80-'s and may be in the 90's next week!
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    chenheart said:

I will give this some
    I will give this some thought and post when the weather is colder..it is still upper 80-'s and may be in the 90's next week!

Like .. Sister, Chenheart .. I too live in
    sunny Southern California .. so I will gather my wits, and search around for a few good 'cold' soups recipes ...

Vicki Sam
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    Options
    chenheart said:

I will give this some

Me, too
    And in good ol' sunny Florida.....I am just happy that lately we can breathe better with a little drop in temperature. :)
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    lizzie17 said:

Me, too
    And in good ol' sunny Florida.....I am just happy that lately we can breathe better with a little drop in temperature. :)

3 words for those of you who shop at Trader Joe's:
    Pumpkin. Swirl. Brownies.

These are the latest obsession at our house. You buy Trader Joe's's Truffle Brownie Mix and Pumpkin Bread Mix, mix them up in separate bowls, then swirl them together in a 9x13 pan and bake them. Then serve them with TJ's Pumpkin Ice Cream. (Don't leave out the ice cream -- it tastes like frozen pumpkin pie!)

I mean, SERIOUSLY good, like everyone in my house fights over them, and we now have FIVE boxes of each mix in our pantry!

The directions/recipe are on Trader Joe's's website: http://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=91

You're welcome! :-)

Traci
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

These are the latest obsession at our house. You buy Trader Joe's's Truffle Brownie Mix and Pumpkin Bread Mix, mix them up in separate bowls, then swirl them together in a 9x13 pan and bake them. Then serve them with TJ's Pumpkin Ice Cream. (Don't leave out the ice cream -- it tastes like frozen pumpkin pie!)

I mean, SERIOUSLY good, like everyone in my house fights over them, and we now have FIVE boxes of each mix in our pantry!

The directions/recipe are on Trader Joe's's website: http://www.traderjoes.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=91

Traci

Traci
    That sounds awesomely delicious!!! Looks liks the only Trader Joes in FL in Miami, little too far from me and I didn't see where I could order online. Thinking I'll try with it whatever brand I can find. Hope it's as good as yours!

Hugs,
    Debi
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    debi.18 said:

Traci
    That sounds awesomely delicious!!! Looks liks the only Trader Joes in FL in Miami, little too far from me and I didn't see where I could order online. Thinking I'll try with it whatever brand I can find. Hope it's as good as yours!

Hugs,
    Debi

Should work, Debi!
    I would buy a really rich, truffle-y brownie mix (maybe one of the Ghirardelli ones) + a pumpkin bread mix. Mix them up per the package directions in separate bowls. Spread the brownie batter in a 9x13 pan first, then pour the pumpkin batter on top and swirl them together with something stiff, like a large knife or metal spatula. The trick will be figuring out how long to bake them and at what temperature -- but experimenting could be half the fun:

"Oops, these didn't turn out quite perfect -- guess I'll have to sacrifice and eat them all myself, and then try again with a whole 'nother batch!" :-o

And Dreyer's/Edy's makes a pumpkin ice cream that's *almost* as good as Trader Joe's's -- maybe your grocery store carries it?

Traci
  • debi.18
    debi.18 Member Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Should work, Debi!
    I would buy a really rich, truffle-y brownie mix (maybe one of the Ghirardelli ones) + a pumpkin bread mix. Mix them up per the package directions in separate bowls. Spread the brownie batter in a 9x13 pan first, then pour the pumpkin batter on top and swirl them together with something stiff, like a large knife or metal spatula. The trick will be figuring out how long to bake them and at what temperature -- but experimenting could be half the fun:

"Oops, these didn't turn out quite perfect -- guess I'll have to sacrifice and eat them all myself, and then try again with a whole 'nother batch!" :-o

And Dreyer's/Edy's makes a pumpkin ice cream that's *almost* as good as Trader Joe's's -- maybe your grocery store carries it?

Traci

Traci, I'll let ya know
    how it turns out. Hoping to make it this weekend. Our local grocery store Publix has a really good pumpkin ice cream.

Believe me, I'll have no problem eating it all myself. I love anything with sugar! It's one of the few things that I can sometimes still taste. I keep blaming the 10 lbs I've gained on the steriods, I'm positive the sugar has nothing to do with it!!

Hugs,
    Debi
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci

Traci, your brownies were a
    Traci, your brownies were a hit!

Sue :)
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Traci, your brownies were a
    Traci, your brownies were a hit!

Sue :)

Hey Traci~
    Did you know Trader Joe's carries Pumpkin cream cheese?? And when you mix your brownie mix/pumpkin bread mix, you can then drop small globlets of softened pumpkin cream cheese all over the top to kick it up a notch!!!!
    For years I have bought Costco's brownie mix in the mega box, and substitute brewed coffee for the water, and then swirl globlets of either softened cream cheese, or bloblets of peanut butter!! Sometimes I swirl some ploplets of raspberry jam in with the peanut butter too!
    I am going to TJ's today for your special concoction and baking them up~
    Happy globletting, blobletting, and plopletting!
    :) Melanie
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options

Hey Traci~
    Did you know Trader Joe's carries Pumpkin cream cheese?? And when you mix your brownie mix/pumpkin bread mix, you can then drop small globlets of softened pumpkin cream cheese all over the top to kick it up a notch!!!!
    For years I have bought Costco's brownie mix in the mega box, and substitute brewed coffee for the water, and then swirl globlets of either softened cream cheese, or bloblets of peanut butter!! Sometimes I swirl some ploplets of raspberry jam in with the peanut butter too!
    I am going to TJ's today for your special concoction and baking them up~
    Happy globletting, blobletting, and plopletting!
    :) Melanie

Great recipes! Thanks!

Great recipes! Thanks!