I'm starting to really hate steroids.

I took my fifth treatment yesterday. I could not settle down last night or this morning. Woke up several times during the night sweating (of course, those wonderful hot flashes). Now I have no energy. I stay so hungry after treatments. It's hard for me to understand why some people take steroids by choice. Guess they like the way it makes them feel :) I also took my shot this afternoon. (can't remember the name of it, the one for white blood cell counts). My shoulders started aching about an hour after that. Oh well, enough complaining. I have so much to be thankful for. Overall I have tolerated the chemo extremely well. Thanks for letting me vent.

Carla

Comments

• childofthestars
    childofthestars Member Posts: 251 Member
    Steroids
    Hi Carla
    I HATED steroids with a passion. They used to make me feel sooooooo 'wired' and of course soooooo hungry, as you say why would anyone take them voluntarily!!!!
    I understand about the hotflushes too, i am really suffering with those and here for some bizarre reason we are having temperatures up in the 80's nearly in October - I live in London, so that's definately not helping.
    Well done for tolerating chemo so well tho and just think it will soon be over......
    Take care.
    Michelle x
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Steroids
    I hate them, too. I get loaded up with them before my gemzar/cisplatin infusion and have to add that I also talk a mile minute, apologize constantly for babbling on, stay up most of the night watching stupid movies and wake up with what I call "tomato face". Yup.. the neulasta (sp?) shot!.. another joy. I also have to be very grateful that I tolerate the chemo as well as I do.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Mwee said:

Steroids
    I hate them, too. I get loaded up with them before my gemzar/cisplatin infusion and have to add that I also talk a mile minute, apologize constantly for babbling on, stay up most of the night watching stupid movies and wake up with what I call "tomato face". Yup.. the neulasta (sp?) shot!.. another joy. I also have to be very grateful that I tolerate the chemo as well as I do.
    (((HUGS))) Maria

I hated the steroids too.
    I hated the steroids too. They gave me acne for the whole time I was on chemo. I sucked. I felt like I was in high school again and even then I never had acne. So weird. I too would be wired. My mother was in shock at how much energy I had for just getting chemo. I said its the steroids. I would take ambien to help me sleep.
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Mwee said:

Steroids
    (((HUGS))) Maria

I hated the steroids too. They gave me acne for the whole time I was on chemo. I sucked. I felt like I was in high school again and even then I never had acne. So weird. I too would be wired. My mother was in shock at how much energy I had for just getting chemo. I said its the steroids. I would take ambien to help me sleep.
  • kikz
    kikz Member Posts: 1,345 Member
    jbeans888 said:

I had crazy nightmares
    while on the steroids. One time I dreamed I was walking in a parking lot and a guy in a pickup truck (the ones that are really high) charged me with a big grin on his face. I was pinned against a brick wall. That was so bizarre.

Karen
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    not by choise
    I am with you why would anyone chose steroids I have to take them before and for a few days after chemo. I hate how they make me feel and I lost 20lbs after surgery and have gained it back because of the steroids. I was very upset yesturday when they weight me bofore my treatment and talk to the NP when she came in to look at my swelling. She said she knew how upset it makes me but because of my reaction to the Taxol I have to stay on them until I am finished with the Taxol which I only had one more. She thinks the swelling is from the Advastian so I will be going on a water pill and she think some of the weight gain could be that also. So I just have to wait out the taxol and see if the water pill works because I will be on Advastin for at least two years maybe more.

Anne

P.S. oh and the sleep thing I have always had problems with sleep becuase of the fibromyalga and migrianes I have suffered with migrianes since I was eight because of teh abuse I received from my birth father (another long story that is one I don't share much) and fribromalga is around late 20' so now add the steroids I take 150 mg of trazadone most people sleep for days on just 50 lol not me I am at the highest does my doctor will allow and I am still having problems sleep. Nightmare as you can geuss for me I had before them and now they have really gotten worst.
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980

not by choise
    I am with you why would anyone chose steroids I have to take them before and for a few days after chemo. I hate how they make me feel and I lost 20lbs after surgery and have gained it back because of the steroids. I was very upset yesturday when they weight me bofore my treatment and talk to the NP when she came in to look at my swelling. She said she knew how upset it makes me but because of my reaction to the Taxol I have to stay on them until I am finished with the Taxol which I only had one more. She thinks the swelling is from the Advastian so I will be going on a water pill and she think some of the weight gain could be that also. So I just have to wait out the taxol and see if the water pill works because I will be on Advastin for at least two years maybe more.

Anne

P.S. oh and the sleep thing I have always had problems with sleep becuase of the fibromyalga and migrianes I have suffered with migrianes since I was eight because of teh abuse I received from my birth father (another long story that is one I don't share much) and fribromalga is around late 20' so now add the steroids I take 150 mg of trazadone most people sleep for days on just 50 lol not me I am at the highest does my doctor will allow and I am still having problems sleep. Nightmare as you can geuss for me I had before them and now they have really gotten worst.

Steroids turn me into someone else: aggressive & obnoxious.
    Besides the red round face and the sleeplessness ("hampster days" I call my steroid days, as I scurry around all night like a noctural rodent whenever I take them.), I turn into Chatty Kathy, in love with my own voice and thoughts and the words endlessly pouring out of my mouth. Normally I'm somewhat reserved, but on steroids I have an opinion on EVERYthing and feel compelled to share my pearls of wisdom with EVERYone. I interrupt people, anxious to blurt out the next new thought that's popped into my racing brain. I took steroids last in decreasing dosages for 12 days last month for my radioembolism treatment to help me with the radiation sickness. I actually CRIED one night that I had steroids, because I was so embarrassed at how I talked on and on all day long, never shutting up, hardly taking a breath. I could only imagine what people thought of me. Then I spend the next day apologizing to everyone, & although they all reassure me that I was "charming", I could hear myself. (blush)

But in defense of steroids, I must say that steroids help SO much with the nausea and inflammation and fatigue of cancer treatment. I may hate to take them, but I would also hate to NOT take them for some of the harsher chemo drugs. If they're prescribed, I take them till they're gone. But I don't have to like it!
  • Robkel7
    Robkel7 Member Posts: 68

Besides the red round face and the sleeplessness ("hampster days" I call my steroid days, as I scurry around all night like a noctural rodent whenever I take them.), I turn into Chatty Kathy, in love with my own voice and thoughts and the words endlessly pouring out of my mouth. Normally I'm somewhat reserved, but on steroids I have an opinion on EVERYthing and feel compelled to share my pearls of wisdom with EVERYone. I interrupt people, anxious to blurt out the next new thought that's popped into my racing brain. I took steroids last in decreasing dosages for 12 days last month for my radioembolism treatment to help me with the radiation sickness. I actually CRIED one night that I had steroids, because I was so embarrassed at how I talked on and on all day long, never shutting up, hardly taking a breath. I could only imagine what people thought of me. Then I spend the next day apologizing to everyone, & although they all reassure me that I was "charming", I could hear myself. (blush)

But in defense of steroids, I must say that steroids help SO much with the nausea and inflammation and fatigue of cancer treatment. I may hate to take them, but I would also hate to NOT take them for some of the harsher chemo drugs. If they're prescribed, I take them till they're gone. But I don't have to like it!

????
    What sort of steroids do this? It sounds like a thing I don't want to do. Haha. I do take some steroids (dexa something) during treatment and for 3 days after. It mainly makes my face look round, I get some pimples, and I am super hungry. I have gained 8 pounds since treatment began. 8 pounds that I DO NOT WANT on my body. Anyone experience this? How can I lose this weight now? The doctor says: don't diet during chemo, but there is no chance of that. I am hungry all the time. ArGh. Will this stop after treatment...this hunger?

Thanks,
    Robin
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338

YOU!!.. obnoxious... NEVER!!!
    Thanks for the laugh this AM. You perfectly described "Hamster Days"! Thanks, for I now feel that I might not be quite as crazy as I was beginning to think I was. :)
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Robkel7 said:

????
    What sort of steroids do this? It sounds like a thing I don't want to do. Haha. I do take some steroids (dexa something) during treatment and for 3 days after. It mainly makes my face look round, I get some pimples, and I am super hungry. I have gained 8 pounds since treatment began. 8 pounds that I DO NOT WANT on my body. Anyone experience this? How can I lose this weight now? The doctor says: don't diet during chemo, but there is no chance of that. I am hungry all the time. ArGh. Will this stop after treatment...this hunger?

Thanks,
    Robin

Robin : Methylprednisolone 4 mg tablets
    For the radioembolism, my surgery steroid take-home regime was 6 tabs Day 1& 2; 5 tabs Day 3 & 4; 4 tabs Day 5 & 6; 3 tabs days 7 & 8; 2 tabs Days 7 & 8, & 1 tab Days 11 & 12.

I must add that I am VERY sensitive to almost all drugs that have the potential for mood alteration. I had to do all 3 of my radioembolism surgeries without any sedatives because even the lightest dose and I am unconscious, and with this type of surgery you have to repeatedly participate by holding your breath, etc. Benydril with my chemo always knocked me out and I'd sleep all the way home. So my reaction to the steroids may not be typical. But if you pay attention, you may notice some artificial energy and chattiness.

I don't think steroids actually put pounds on you, but they sure do enhance your appetite. I was always FAMISHED on them. I gained 12 pounds during my chemo days. I was happy to have those 12 spare pounds when I did radiation, though, since the extra weight melted off almost overnight. After treatment is over you can exercise off the weight, and eat a lower calorie high fiber diet. Just don't get down too low as you need a small reserve when you have cancer. I know I quickly went from slim to gaunt, and have had to work really hard to get the weight back on. I regained 9 of the 14 pounds I lost with the radioembolism this summer. I still look skinny, but not 'scary' skinny like I did there for awhile.
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Mwee said:

YOU!!.. obnoxious... NEVER!!!
    Thanks for the laugh this AM. You perfectly described "Hamster Days"! Thanks, for I now feel that I might not be quite as crazy as I was beginning to think I was. :)
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Those people who like the
    Those people who like the way steroids make them feel are probably adrenally exhausted. Those of you who got wired on steroids, had good adrenal function so were "overdosed" on steroids.

After the first treatment, I asked to have no steroids with the chemo pre-meds & so I was spared the undesirable effects. I guess I just got lucky not to have any allergic reactions.
  • AnneBehymer
    AnneBehymer Member Posts: 738 Member
    carolenk said:

Those people who like the
    Those people who like the way steroids make them feel are probably adrenally exhausted. Those of you who got wired on steroids, had good adrenal function so were "overdosed" on steroids.

After the first treatment, I asked to have no steroids with the chemo pre-meds & so I was spared the undesirable effects. I guess I just got lucky not to have any allergic reactions.

before and after
    I have to have them before and after because I had a very bad reactions to the first dose of taxol. So they do not want to take another chance of thar happening so I have the premedications and then for three days after.

Anne
  • Bluebird Bush
    Bluebird Bush Member Posts: 28

Your post about steroids
    Thank you so much for this - I have been thinking my obsessive compulsive disorder has been "breaking through" since I am taking a new, different anti-depressant. This leads me to think maybe it is the steroids. I have felt compelled to share my thoughts and opinions and have been blurting things out when I should keep my mouth shut. Thank you for giving me a whole different way of looking at this. Geni
  • habber
    habber Member Posts: 17
    I must be adrenally fatigued..
    I love the steroids. Finally I have some energy to clean the house, walk the dog and even do some painting. But then again, I'm only on my 2nd IP cycle, so I may see the ill effects later on. Linda, you mentioned chatty I am frequently at a loss for words so even that is welcome.
  • Susan777
    Susan777 Member Posts: 97 Member
    Hate em
    I am infused with steroids during my chemo treatments and i NEVER take the oral after chemo steroids. They make me so hungry and give me insomnia big time. The only thing that is mildly good is that i have a little bit of energy and a rosy glow. I just did my last treatment and so looking forward to growing some hair on my head, eyebrows and lashes. Is there anyway to keep the other hairs from growing back? He he he
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    habber said:

I must be adrenally fatigued..
    I love the steroids. Finally I have some energy to clean the house, walk the dog and even do some painting. But then again, I'm only on my 2nd IP cycle, so I may see the ill effects later on. Linda, you mentioned chatty I am frequently at a loss for words so even that is welcome.

Maybe that's why I hate
    Maybe that's why I hate them. I already eat and talk too much. LOL! Praying your treatments are very successful.
  • sarahb74
    sarahb74 Member Posts: 81 Member
    Susan777 said:

Hate em
    I am infused with steroids during my chemo treatments and i NEVER take the oral after chemo steroids. They make me so hungry and give me insomnia big time. The only thing that is mildly good is that i have a little bit of energy and a rosy glow. I just did my last treatment and so looking forward to growing some hair on my head, eyebrows and lashes. Is there anyway to keep the other hairs from growing back? He he he

That's what I wanted to know
    but the hairs I didn't want seemed to grow back faster than the hair I did want!
  • Robkel7
    Robkel7 Member Posts: 68
    Susan777 said:

Hate em

Hi Susan!!!!!!
    I am going for my last chemo on Tuesday! Is it ok for me to not take those steroids? I am infused also, but I want to skip the pills....do you do that on your own? p.s I want my hair back too......so tired of no hair. Happy for you. <3