Options
2»

Comments

• QuiltingMama123
    QuiltingMama123 Member Posts: 124
    Options
    mckevnic said:

Finally!!
    Insurance company approved the MRI! My appt is Monday,the 26th at 7pm. I hope they don't find anything but I am sooo nervous. I guess because I know what's in store if it's "c" again. Thanks for all your comments and support! it really helps at a time like this.

Chris

You are in my prayers!
    The waiting is definitely the worse part.... We will all be there with you tonight!
    Anna
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Hi Chris,
    I have

Hi Chris,

I have something a little similar. I don't have a buckling breast however the breast surgeon found 3 nodules in my right breast (the good one, left was removed) almost 6 months ago. I have had mammos, ultrasounds and recently an MRI and NOTHING shows up. The breast surgeon thinks it is still LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma in Situ or Lobular hyperplasia) which is non-invasive, precancer (stage 0). We can't be sure and can't do a biopsy since the nodules are very small and would be difficult to locate without some guidance.

It is not clear to me why mammos, ultrasounds and MRIs are not picking up on these small lumps/nodules. They are clearly there in my breast and the breast surgeon feels them and is aware of it. My options at present are to remove the breast and have nothing to worry about OR to visit the breast surgeon every 3 months and have her check on them. I have for now chosen the latter. For LCIS there is a 20% chance it will develop into invasive cancer and the breast surgeon is following up every 3 months so if anything changes we have a good chance of finding it before it gets really serious.

From my experience, if something doesn't feel right for you please go with that. I pursued a 'not righness' for 2 years before I got a cancer diagnosis. You might not get the results to confirm the feeling of 'not right' but don't give up on that feeling, keep picking away at it and questioning the doctors.

wish you well and much love to you.
    mariam
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    mckevnic said:

Just got the call from the onc rn....
    Thanks for everyone's input here! I really appreciate it during my 'waiting' time. My head is spinning.

To answer some of the questions above....I have NOT lost weight (unfortunatley) and the dip/dimple/crease (whatever you want to call it) is on the upper side of left breast above nipple, an odd spot. And it's only evident when I lay down and raise arm over head. This is in my good breast. My previous cancer was on the right side where I had a lumpectomy. I am also BRCA positive but thought my chances of recurrence while taking Arimidex are minimized.

OK, so onc nurse calls and tells me that onc is 'fine with imaging'. Meaning he is ok with the mammo and ultrasound. And I don't need anything further. How could he say that if he felt something and saw my breast dip? The rn said HOWEVER.....the onc would order an MRI if I wanted one for my own piece of mind because of my history and that I'm BRCA positive. YOU BET! No brainer for me. So my appt is Monday 9/19 at 8PM. Of course, I asked her if she could get me in sooner....we'll see, but at laast I know I can go Mon.

Thanks for all your kind words and support.
    Chris

Glad to hear you are your own advocate
    Chris,

I had the same thing happen two years ago. I had a mammo and then the radiologist came in and did the ultrasound. It ended up being a lymph node that had moved during my second surgery. I've had more mammo's since then and everything has been fine but you do have to be your own advocate and go with your gut. Mine hasn't done me wrong yet!

Terry
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Options

Hi Chris,
    I have

Hi Chris,

I have something a little similar. I don't have a buckling breast however the breast surgeon found 3 nodules in my right breast (the good one, left was removed) almost 6 months ago. I have had mammos, ultrasounds and recently an MRI and NOTHING shows up. The breast surgeon thinks it is still LCIS (Lobular Carcinoma in Situ or Lobular hyperplasia) which is non-invasive, precancer (stage 0). We can't be sure and can't do a biopsy since the nodules are very small and would be difficult to locate without some guidance.

It is not clear to me why mammos, ultrasounds and MRIs are not picking up on these small lumps/nodules. They are clearly there in my breast and the breast surgeon feels them and is aware of it. My options at present are to remove the breast and have nothing to worry about OR to visit the breast surgeon every 3 months and have her check on them. I have for now chosen the latter. For LCIS there is a 20% chance it will develop into invasive cancer and the breast surgeon is following up every 3 months so if anything changes we have a good chance of finding it before it gets really serious.

From my experience, if something doesn't feel right for you please go with that. I pursued a 'not righness' for 2 years before I got a cancer diagnosis. You might not get the results to confirm the feeling of 'not right' but don't give up on that feeling, keep picking away at it and questioning the doctors.

wish you well and much love to you.
    mariam

MRI Done!
    So you have read my saga about waiting for ins co to approve this test. The communication between me and ins co and me and my onc rn has been very stressful these past 11 days to say the least. Had to cancel the MRI originally scheduled for the 19th, but hey, now its the 26th and I'm finally getting it done....right??? Not so fast....I walked into the hospital and the girl says "we don't have orders from your doc to do this MRI". At this point I look around thinking....this has GOT to be the cruelest joke. The onc rn told me 2 times that she faxed the order over to the hosp. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! I stood there not knowing whether to scream, cry, or just walk away. It was 7pm, the tech said she would go call the on-call doc to see if she could get verbal approval. I'm thinking....I hope MY doc is on-call and not some bozo who doesn't know me and the situation. Amazingly, 5 minutes later the girl comes out and says-they HAD the faxed order. I got the MRI.
    I should know results today or tomorrow. I'm exhausted.
    Chris
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mckevnic said:

MRI Done!
    So you have read my saga about waiting for ins co to approve this test. The communication between me and ins co and me and my onc rn has been very stressful these past 11 days to say the least. Had to cancel the MRI originally scheduled for the 19th, but hey, now its the 26th and I'm finally getting it done....right??? Not so fast....I walked into the hospital and the girl says "we don't have orders from your doc to do this MRI". At this point I look around thinking....this has GOT to be the cruelest joke. The onc rn told me 2 times that she faxed the order over to the hosp. ARE YOU KIDDING ME??! I stood there not knowing whether to scream, cry, or just walk away. It was 7pm, the tech said she would go call the on-call doc to see if she could get verbal approval. I'm thinking....I hope MY doc is on-call and not some bozo who doesn't know me and the situation. Amazingly, 5 minutes later the girl comes out and says-they HAD the faxed order. I got the MRI.
    I should know results today or tomorrow. I'm exhausted.
    Chris

You should be exhausted
    You should be exhausted after all you've been thru. Just glad you got the MRI done. Good luck to you!

Jan
  • mckevnic
    mckevnic Member Posts: 71
    Options

You should be exhausted
    You should be exhausted after all you've been thru. Just glad you got the MRI done. Good luck to you!

Jan

A miracle!
    Finally got the results of the MRI......ALL CLEAR! I am relieved to say the least and I can't help but think all your good thoughts and prayers helped this outcome be so good! Thank you all for keeping me in your prayers. I do believe it's a miracle. There's just no other explanation for it.

Chris
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    mckevnic said:

A miracle!
    Finally got the results of the MRI......ALL CLEAR! I am relieved to say the least and I can't help but think all your good thoughts and prayers helped this outcome be so good! Thank you all for keeping me in your prayers. I do believe it's a miracle. There's just no other explanation for it.

Chris

Congrats! I am so happy for
    Congrats! I am so happy for you Chris!

Hugs, Jan
  • Pam5
    Pam5 Member Posts: 232
    Options

Congrats! I am so happy for
    Congrats! I am so happy for you Chris!

Hugs, Jan

Wow! Chris this is awesome
    Wow! Chris this is awesome news! I am so happy for you and so proud of you for persisting in getting this test. We do have to be our own advocates! I wish I had been more persistent - had I done so I wouldn't be sitting here with a 4x5 tumor in my breast. Well, maybe it's 3x4 now that it's shrunk a bit. Still - good for you!

Hugs,
    Pam
  • BMS
    BMS Member Posts: 127
    Options
    mckevnic said:

A miracle!

Chris

That Goodness!
    I am so sorry for the stress you have gone through, but so thrilled about the ultimate outcome.

I had my first mammo since finishing all treatments. The tech came over and said they needed more pictures on the left side (the good breast...had a lumpectomy in the right breast in January). The took more pictures and said all was clear! I have a follow-up with my MO this Thursday and will talk to him about it as well, to be sure.

So glad things are moving in the right direction.

Bonnie