Frustrated that I just can't do like I used to be able to do...

Options
My focus issues began with my husband's unexpected death last year. Even addressing an envelope was a challenge for me. It's very difficult for me to learn any new information. Even reading for pleasure, I generally have to read something I have read before. Now since I have had this diagnosis and began chemo, it's even worse. First of all I just can't do things as quickly as I did before. Also, I notice that even in cooking I am slower as I just can't organize the process as well, often having to re-read a new recipe multiple times, or read it in small increments.

Has anyone else had these same problems?

I just so want to move on with my life. Get a job, be able to rent a place of my own. Guess patience has never been one of my strongest virtues, but I'm having to learn it now.

Carla

Comments

• Robkel7
    Robkel7 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I can relate....
    I am having focus issues also. I forget what I went to the next room for. I did this before chemo once in a while, but now, it's a regular thing. I am returning to work soon as a teacher and I have decided I will have to use lists. I think this is normal, Carla. From everything I have read...chemo brain is a very real phenomenon. I find it frustrating but not as bad as the depression I experience for the days after chemo that goes with the body ache. EW. :D Just hang in there. You will be ok! You can do it!
  • jbeans888
    jbeans888 Member Posts: 313
    Options
    I can relate to you. I would
    I can relate to you. I would have to reread things a few times actually because I just couldn't process it, I felt like a dumba**. The doctor's call it chemo brain. Now that I have stopped chemo I have noticed that it has gotten somewhat better, but definitely not 100% like it used too.

Joyce
  • cfont11
    cfont11 Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I understand
    I had trouble reading during treatment. I would read a line and re-read and re-read. I started doing crossword and other puzzles to keep my mind active, even though those were a challenge. I have gone back to work, I work with numbers all day long and some days I have a hard time but it seems to be getting better. It is just one of the side affects of chemo and will wear off. Just be patient, I know it's hard. So sorry that you have to go through this alone and I am so sorry about your husband. Hang in there, you are stronger than you know.

Chris
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    cfont11 said:

I understand
    I had trouble reading during treatment. I would read a line and re-read and re-read. I started doing crossword and other puzzles to keep my mind active, even though those were a challenge. I have gone back to work, I work with numbers all day long and some days I have a hard time but it seems to be getting better. It is just one of the side affects of chemo and will wear off. Just be patient, I know it's hard. So sorry that you have to go through this alone and I am so sorry about your husband. Hang in there, you are stronger than you know.

Chris

I can relate
    Exercise and more sleep made a difference in my brain function. The chemo brain should get better over time. You have been thru so much, I wouldn't be surprised by the way your brain is now. Just be careful driving.

Carolen
  • mom2greatkids
    mom2greatkids Member Posts: 528
    Options
    Robkel7 said:

I can relate....
    I am having focus issues also. I forget what I went to the next room for. I did this before chemo once in a while, but now, it's a regular thing. I am returning to work soon as a teacher and I have decided I will have to use lists. I think this is normal, Carla. From everything I have read...chemo brain is a very real phenomenon. I find it frustrating but not as bad as the depression I experience for the days after chemo that goes with the body ache. EW. :D Just hang in there. You will be ok! You can do it!

I guess I may have to use
    I guess I may have to use lists as well. I completed my master's in early childhood education last March, one month before my husband died. I lack one more praxis of completing my certification. I had thought about taking it next month, but I just don't want/need that extra stress on me. Plus, my focus isn't strong enough for it :)
  • mom2greatkids
    Options
    jbeans888 said:

I can relate to you. I would
    I can relate to you. I would have to reread things a few times actually because I just couldn't process it, I felt like a dumba**. The doctor's call it chemo brain. Now that I have stopped chemo I have noticed that it has gotten somewhat better, but definitely not 100% like it used too.

Joyce

Joyce, it sure is
    Joyce, it sure is frustrating!!
  • mom2greatkids
    Options
    cfont11 said:

I understand

Chris

thanks Chris.

thanks Chris.
  • mom2greatkids
    Options
    carolenk said:

I can relate
    Exercise and more sleep made a difference in my brain function. The chemo brain should get better over time. You have been thru so much, I wouldn't be surprised by the way your brain is now. Just be careful driving.

Carolen

Carolen, the driving, at
    Carolen, the driving, at times, has been an issue. I have swallowed my pride and learned to accept offers from people to drive me places. However, lately I have felt comfortable, and done well driving. I have found that walking daily helps with the fatigue as well.
  • zorica-zoey
    zorica-zoey Member Posts: 7
    Options
    hi
    im realy new st this ...so be paiten with me ...like you i can relate to ,,i want to move on with my life to and like you as well i feal like a dum person ...like the chemotherapy killed my brain cells ...and my funcions are very slow to ..
    im sorry abouth your husbents death ,i hope you pass all this and you feal bether soon
  • zorica-zoey
    zorica-zoey Member Posts: 7
    Options
    hi
    im realy new st this ...so be paiten with me ...like you i can relate to ,,i want to move on with my life to and like you as well i feal like a dum person ...like the chemotherapy killed my brain cells ...and my funcions are very slow to ..
    im sorry abouth your husbents death ,i hope you pass all this and you feal bether soon
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Patience and chemo brain
    Yup, patience is a life lesson I think we all have trouble with :) Chemo brain does lessen with time, but stress can make it hard to focus also and you've certainly had more than your share of stressful events.

I say... who cares if it takes us a little longer to process that recipe as long as we're able to cook!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Mwee said:

Patience and chemo brain
    Yup, patience is a life lesson I think we all have trouble with :) Chemo brain does lessen with time, but stress can make it hard to focus also and you've certainly had more than your share of stressful events.

I say... who cares if it takes us a little longer to process that recipe as long as we're able to cook!
    (((HUGS))) Maria

things will get better
    as time goes by. We all know how you feel and it is very frustrating. Give yourself some time and you will be will be your old smart self again, I agree with Maria.cook and who cares how long it takes, you made it and I bet it was delish..yum...val
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    ME TOO
    Carla, I'm so sorry for your loss. That alone would certainly cause anyone to not be able to focus. But the chemo on top of that is definitely a double whammy. Like the other ladies, I've heard it called 'chemo brain' as well. I had chemo in 2000 and 2006. While it has gotten better, I still experience it sometimes. And my job is very detail-oriented so it ends up taking me a little longer than it used to to complete certain tasks. But it definitely is far better than in the beginning.

Take care, Carla.

(((HUGS))) & PRAYERS,
    Monika
  • Miss Mona
    Miss Mona Member Posts: 10
    Options
    I can totally relate I play
    I can totally relate I play Bunko with a group of girls and last time I had to be reminded which table I had to go to and I have been playing for several years now. My husband bought me a nook to read and I have to go back and re-read things, my driving has gotten worse I do things I would normally not do. I definitely have chemo brain, I live in a fog.