I checked online and can't find an answer.

Options
When we where talkng to the rad doctor he said my husband has multiple lymph node along with a walnut sized tumor and we needed to start therapy ASAP, because the lymphnodes were starting to develope holes.
I am sure it's not good, but I want to know exactly what that means..Anyone got some good answers for me.

Comments

• Scambuster
    Scambuster Member Posts: 973
    Options
    Arndog
    I am a bit confused by the question so it may be difficult to get a response but just to help clarify, a little about the Lymphatic system.

We all have a Lymphatic System, which is a network of tiny tubes all connected to take the lymphatic fluid away from our tisses from all around the body, to the heart. Spaced all along these tubes are Lymph Nodes, of which we all have many. The nodes are sort of like small filters, so they capture stuff that flows thorugh the lymph ducts. These are normal and we have thousands. The problem is they do capture Cancer cells and sometimes the cancer cells can cling on and multiple at the node site, and then start to grow.

You said the Doctor said he had 'Lymph nodes', well that is normal but maybe he meant several showed signs of Cancer being present ?? The large 'walnut sized' one definitely sounds like cancer has set up and is growing there. Whether or not it's Cancer is determined by taking a biopsy to verify it is cancer and not something else. Unfortunatly the Lymph system does act to inadvertently carry cancer to other parts of our body and this is called Metastasis (or Mets).

It is most likely they will now do a full PET CT Scan on your boyfriend and that will show where and how many Lymph nodes have been affected, so they can see if it has travelled far. Usually, surgery is the option to remove the primary or main tumor site (if they know where it is) and also to remove all the nodes they think are affected, to prevent any cancer from starting to grow elswhere. they may then recommend Radiation to kill of any cancer at these sites, and maybe chemo to mop of any cells that escaped to other parts of the body.

I hope this clears up some of the issue and you have more information to ask the Doctor. As for holes in the lymph nodes, no idea sorry. If you google 'Lymphatic System', you will find plenty of usefull information.

Scam
  • MarineE5
    MarineE5 Member Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I see your confusion
    Arndog,

Scambuster covered the Lymph node system pretty good here. I can see your confusion about what the Doctor said. In your other post, you mentioned that your husband is in his 3rd week of Radiation and will receive his 2nd Chemo on Monday.

I am trying to figure out how the Doctor can tell that the Lymphnodes are developing holes other then figuring that more lymphnodes are involved, that there is leakage. My Surgeon told me after my Radical Neck Disection, that I had 2 lymphnodes involved with cancer and he had removed over 30 lymphnodes. He told me that the Lymphnodes were not soft which he stated was a good thing, less chance of spreading.

Now back to your Doctor,I'm guessing your husband did not have surgery to remove the lymphnodes, how can the Doctor tell? So, I can see where you might wonder? because I am right along side of you with that statement. Did your husband have a neck disection prior to treatments?

My Best to Both of You and Everyone Here
  • Irishgypsie
    Irishgypsie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    MarineE5 said:

I see your confusion
    Arndog,

Scambuster covered the Lymph node system pretty good here. I can see your confusion about what the Doctor said. In your other post, you mentioned that your husband is in his 3rd week of Radiation and will receive his 2nd Chemo on Monday.

I am trying to figure out how the Doctor can tell that the Lymphnodes are developing holes other then figuring that more lymphnodes are involved, that there is leakage. My Surgeon told me after my Radical Neck Disection, that I had 2 lymphnodes involved with cancer and he had removed over 30 lymphnodes. He told me that the Lymphnodes were not soft which he stated was a good thing, less chance of spreading.

Now back to your Doctor,I'm guessing your husband did not have surgery to remove the lymphnodes, how can the Doctor tell? So, I can see where you might wonder? because I am right along side of you with that statement. Did your husband have a neck disection prior to treatments?

My Best to Both of You and Everyone Here

Extracapillary extension/spread
    I'm not your Dr. but I would bet when he said the lympohnodes had holes he was talking about extracapillary extension. This can be focal or gross, which can cause extracapillary spread; which leads to metastisis (spread of cancer cells).Therefore, the urgency in trying to treat this as soon as possible.
    Charles
  • arndog64
    arndog64 Member Posts: 537
    Options

Extracapillary extension/spread
    I'm not your Dr. but I would bet when he said the lympohnodes had holes he was talking about extracapillary extension. This can be focal or gross, which can cause extracapillary spread; which leads to metastisis (spread of cancer cells).Therefore, the urgency in trying to treat this as soon as possible.
    Charles

No neck surgery prior to
    No neck surgery prior to treatment. They said he would loose part of his jaw a most of his tongue. So, they wanted to do chemo and rad to shrink and I guess stop the spreading. Irishgypsie, I think you hit the nail on the head. Whatever he meant by the statement I knew was not good. Thank you all for your help. I have been drivimg myself crazy trying to find the answer for weeks. Thank you again Irishgypsie.. By the way, love the screen name.