I'm back with more questions about my SIL's cancer

herdizziness
herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
So she talked to her oncologist today, and said that she has the mets to her bones, lungs and lymph nodes. That the oncologist is going to put her on HORMONES not chemo, as they have discovered that that is what works with former breast cancer patients that have had chemo previously. So no chemo or radiation, just hormones for a month then check her blood level and have another PT scan in three months. IS THIS FOR REAL??? Does this really work, or am I right on thinking this guy is a quack? I know nothing about the usual breast cancer regiment for chemo's etc., so if anyone can answer my questions I'd sure appreciate it. So of course she is stage IV, her previous breast cancer she was stage II, she doesn't have it in her breasts this time he said, just the mets from the original breast cancer from 15 years ago. Is that right? Or would it be a new cancer? Thank you for you help in answering me.
Winter Marie (from over at the colorectal discussion board.

Comments

• camul
    camul Member Posts: 2,537
    My oncologist opted for
    My oncologist opted for tamoxifen, along with first radiation to the hips and pelvic, followed by Abraxane (chemo) with Zometa every 21 days. I just finished my 9th chemo, and will have an MRI on Tuesday, followed by a pet scan on 13th of April to see if the chemo is working. If it is, I continue with the Abraxane, if not then I will go on a more aggressive chemo combo. If the MRI shows it in the brain, then I will be evaluated for gamma knife radiation.

I do not have cancer in my breasts at this time, however, I had a bone marrow biopsy which showed that the cancer was indeed invasive ductal carcinoma. I had another skin biopsy which showed idc in my skin tumors also.

I did have City of Hope evaluate what my onco was proposing at the beginning, and they agreed that was the same treatment they would be doing. I also went to John's Hopkins and the doctor who evaluated me does not rely on pet scans, mainly tumor markers and she did not recommend chemo at that time. She recommended Arimidex.

I was trying to get into a study at John's Hopkins, but it would have been a fight with the insurance as I live in one of 15 states that does not require insurance companies to recognize clinical trials as a viable form of treatment for stage IV cancer.

With this information in hand, I chose to stay with my oncologist and follow his protocol as I was not comfortable not doing chemo when the cancer was so aggressive.

This was just my choice though. I have met women who have done the hormones that have worked and some who have done chemo. So I don't think either is right or wrong, I just chose the path that I felt was best for me!

~Carol
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    camul said:

My oncologist opted for
    My oncologist opted for tamoxifen, along with first radiation to the hips and pelvic, followed by Abraxane (chemo) with Zometa every 21 days. I just finished my 9th chemo, and will have an MRI on Tuesday, followed by a pet scan on 13th of April to see if the chemo is working. If it is, I continue with the Abraxane, if not then I will go on a more aggressive chemo combo. If the MRI shows it in the brain, then I will be evaluated for gamma knife radiation.

I do not have cancer in my breasts at this time, however, I had a bone marrow biopsy which showed that the cancer was indeed invasive ductal carcinoma. I had another skin biopsy which showed idc in my skin tumors also.

I did have City of Hope evaluate what my onco was proposing at the beginning, and they agreed that was the same treatment they would be doing. I also went to John's Hopkins and the doctor who evaluated me does not rely on pet scans, mainly tumor markers and she did not recommend chemo at that time. She recommended Arimidex.

I was trying to get into a study at John's Hopkins, but it would have been a fight with the insurance as I live in one of 15 states that does not require insurance companies to recognize clinical trials as a viable form of treatment for stage IV cancer.

With this information in hand, I chose to stay with my oncologist and follow his protocol as I was not comfortable not doing chemo when the cancer was so aggressive.

This was just my choice though. I have met women who have done the hormones that have worked and some who have done chemo. So I don't think either is right or wrong, I just chose the path that I felt was best for me!

~Carol

Carol
    Thank you Carol. This makes me feel better and I can give my husband some reassurance that the onc isn't a total whack job. After hearing about the hormone thing, I thought the same thing as he did. Understanding that breast cancer is a lot different then colon cancer has been difficult for me, and I truly appreciate those of you with breast cancer for responding to my questions. I'm guessing this is why we don't have a cure all for us. Cancer sucks, boy does it suck.
    I just want to thank you very much for your response, it does ease our minds.
    Winter Marie