Antidepressants and Breast Cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options

antidepressants
    Try to remember that we are fighting a formidable foe. Using an antidepressant to keep us as mentally prepared as possible to fight this disease is nothing to be ashamed of. Even if we did end up with an addiction, that problem could be solved with the help of your doctor.

I have taken an antidepressant for several years prior to my bc diagnosis. It has helped me to continue functioning and caring for my family members. I will always have to take this as it is a feature of my family history of mental health problems. However, I have gained so much benefit from this that I would never want to live my life without an antidepressan. I can remember how my life was prior to taking it. Even though I felt I was a happy person (and I did feel happy on the inside), my outer appearance had sad plastered all over it. Once on the antidepressant I found a lot less negative self talk and an abilty to follow through with so many things that were difficult before. Being able to put things in a more positive light on a daily basis has improved my quality of life and allows that happy feeling I had on the inside to be evident to others. That happy me was fighting to get out and display itself for years.

bumping up
  • shirleytx
    shirleytx Member Posts: 1
    Options

antidepressants
    Try to remember that we are fighting a formidable foe. Using an antidepressant to keep us as mentally prepared as possible to fight this disease is nothing to be ashamed of. Even if we did end up with an addiction, that problem could be solved with the help of your doctor.

I have taken an antidepressant for several years prior to my bc diagnosis. It has helped me to continue functioning and caring for my family members. I will always have to take this as it is a feature of my family history of mental health problems. However, I have gained so much benefit from this that I would never want to live my life without an antidepressan. I can remember how my life was prior to taking it. Even though I felt I was a happy person (and I did feel happy on the inside), my outer appearance had sad plastered all over it. Once on the antidepressant I found a lot less negative self talk and an abilty to follow through with so many things that were difficult before. Being able to put things in a more positive light on a daily basis has improved my quality of life and allows that happy feeling I had on the inside to be evident to others. That happy me was fighting to get out and display itself for years.

Antidepressants
    Wow, thanks for all the info ladies! I have been feeling really "blue" since I finished my treatments. I was diagnosed Nov 19, 2009 and have been through chemo, surgery and radiation. Now that I'm all done and ready to "get back to normal?" I feel all the ups and downs and I honestly thought what's wrong with me. I cry over the smallest things. I should be happy. I survived a horrific disease. I have my follow-up with my onc on Monday and I'm gonna talk to him about this. Again thanks for the boost.
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

I've never taken any
    I've never taken any anti-depressants (nor did any of my Drs suggest any when I was DX'd) but I do have problems with SAD here . I take double doses of Vit D (and use my lightbox daily) and it derinately helps so you might want to ask about your D levles and adding it.

Susan

bumping up

bumping up
  • Lynn Smith
    Lynn Smith Member Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    shirleytx said:

Antidepressants
    Wow, thanks for all the info ladies! I have been feeling really "blue" since I finished my treatments. I was diagnosed Nov 19, 2009 and have been through chemo, surgery and radiation. Now that I'm all done and ready to "get back to normal?" I feel all the ups and downs and I honestly thought what's wrong with me. I cry over the smallest things. I should be happy. I survived a horrific disease. I have my follow-up with my onc on Monday and I'm gonna talk to him about this. Again thanks for the boost.

Glad we can help.
    I guess I opened up a can of worms.Now after all this I am about to submit.Stressful week.I've been so busy I lost a few pounds just running myself ragged.

Shirleytx. I am a few months ahead of you.I was diagnosed Aug 19,2009.I didn't need chemo or radiation.Just take tamoxifin. Sometimes I wonder not even radiation but I have to trust my doctor and he asked other doctors about my tumor,treatment etc.

You should be stressed.Even though I didnt have any treatment my doctors offered the pills.Three of them were on me to take it.I have my MOMENTS too. We get overwhelmed more now.
    It is alot to digest.

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    did you dr know on Tamoxifen
    and still gave you script? I hope you found out prior to paying for it...

LONG ago I was on Zoloft..(NOTHING to do with BC.)..but I had to wait UNTIL spring and go off very very slowly...I had no issues..

HOPE it all works out for you..

Denise
  • Lynn Smith
    Options

did you dr know on Tamoxifen
    and still gave you script? I hope you found out prior to paying for it...

LONG ago I was on Zoloft..(NOTHING to do with BC.)..but I had to wait UNTIL spring and go off very very slowly...I had no issues..

HOPE it all works out for you..

Denise

Disneyfan2008
    Yes the doctor knew tamox was going to be prescribed.It was my family doctor.I was told by my other doctors to get the script from her.When I got it filled of course I go online and look at all the side effects and was shocked to see "DON'T take this if you are on tamoxifin". When I went back to oncologist I mentioned it to her and she said get it changed.I didn't take any.Luckily I was a bit slow in taking the tamoxifin with all its side effects.So hadn't taken it yet either. I've been lucky with tamox so far but have thinning hair.Then after the mix up Effexor was prescribed.

I'm not sure about many of you but going online tells me much more than doctors or the pharmacy. I get much more detailed info.When I am prescribed something I double guess the doctors because I have many allergies.I don't want a drug that is even in the family of some of those I am allergic to.I wouldn't be able to take it. Last week I was prescribed Amox w/Augmentin.I told the ER doctor I can take amox but I've never taken Augmentin.He said it is Amoxicillin.I am thinking excuse me it is BUT mixed with augmentin.Still said Take it.So I did and OK.

Effexor is what I want to take now.That was my doctors second choice.I see her this week.What was precscribe last year must be trashed so I need a new prescript.

Doctors can forget.Like we all say sometimes we must be our own advocates. When I tell docs of all my allergies there is always a remark.You sure are allergic to alot???

Lynn Smith
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Disneyfan2008
    Yes the doctor knew tamox was going to be prescribed.It was my family doctor.I was told by my other doctors to get the script from her.When I got it filled of course I go online and look at all the side effects and was shocked to see "DON'T take this if you are on tamoxifin". When I went back to oncologist I mentioned it to her and she said get it changed.I didn't take any.Luckily I was a bit slow in taking the tamoxifin with all its side effects.So hadn't taken it yet either. I've been lucky with tamox so far but have thinning hair.Then after the mix up Effexor was prescribed.

I'm not sure about many of you but going online tells me much more than doctors or the pharmacy. I get much more detailed info.When I am prescribed something I double guess the doctors because I have many allergies.I don't want a drug that is even in the family of some of those I am allergic to.I wouldn't be able to take it. Last week I was prescribed Amox w/Augmentin.I told the ER doctor I can take amox but I've never taken Augmentin.He said it is Amoxicillin.I am thinking excuse me it is BUT mixed with augmentin.Still said Take it.So I did and OK.

Effexor is what I want to take now.That was my doctors second choice.I see her this week.What was precscribe last year must be trashed so I need a new prescript.

Doctors can forget.Like we all say sometimes we must be our own advocates. When I tell docs of all my allergies there is always a remark.You sure are allergic to alot???

Lynn Smith

LYnn: I am surpised Pharmacy staff or computer didnt' pick up on
    Glad to haer it's all straightened out...I now typed up and carrie list of all my meds/dose and dr etc..and list of all my surgiers. I made copy for my husband to carry as well. Seeing that sometimes in heat of moment with things I forget or say and they dont' hear etc..so I just hand them the list! I went for coloscopy recently (anuually) and just turned it in with all my paper work as well..

hope you are feeling better now...day by day...right?

Denise
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Meds.
    When I complained about hot flashes my onc. recommended Levapro. Since I'm on another form of that there wasn't much else to do. He said the hot flashes could be a lot worse without it. Not sure I believe it tho. LOL Do what is right for you?

Janie
  • Lynn Smith
    Options
    AMomNETN said:

Meds.
    When I complained about hot flashes my onc. recommended Levapro. Since I'm on another form of that there wasn't much else to do. He said the hot flashes could be a lot worse without it. Not sure I believe it tho. LOL Do what is right for you?

Janie

Disneyfan2008
    Good idea getting everything you take and all your other medical things wrote down. I wonder about that in case of a emergency and maybe I can't talk.Ihaved allergies and need to make sure I'm not given the wrong thing.

I had the same pharmacy make a big boo boo once.My husband picked up my prescript for my heart medicine.I was at a meeting.I got home and started to take it.I flipped it was nothing like the pill I take.BUT then again maybe a generic or something??? I needed it.Had a rough day but wasn't about to take that one.I called the pharamacy the next day and asked if they had my prescript.They said YES.I go in not saying a word.Get it and then said here is one you gave me that is not mine but someone else's.They didn't seem to have a concern.Seemed to just take it and not even say they were sorry.

Months went by and I got a call from a lady.She and I talked awhile.She wanted to make a appt to get her cats fixed(I organized the clinics).As we talked and I scheduled her she gave her name.It was the same last name as mine and the first name was almost the same.I told her I got your meds once.She said "Oh I remember that".She said "I needed my pill really really bad".I needed mine too. I asked her what was it for?? She laughed and said it is my PMS pill.I need it to stay in control.OMG. She didn't get my meds but I got hers.When her husband went to pick hers up they said it wasn't ready.Well it was but at my house. We laughed it off but I was really upset.I kept telling her"I'm sure glad I didn't take that PMS pill of yours and of course I was glad she didn't get my heart pill. As I've said and many others say we need to be our own advocate when it comes to our health.People have lost their lives for those kind of mistakes.

Lynn Smith
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's My Understanding that Effexor XR
    is a common prescribed antidepressant. It is not suppose to be "habit" forming, but the side effects are unpleasant as you wean off of them. The reason you don't want to quit cold turkey is that when on antidepressants it changes the brain chemistry and if you don't lower the doses slowly you can experience unpleasant side effects until your body readjusts. I've been on and off Effexor ER a couple of times and as long as you go slowly, I didn't experience any unbearable side effects, just annoying headaches and a little dizziness for about a week. Then it was fine. It's much worse if you just stop cold turkey, though even then the side effects aren't damaging to your body, just really unpleasant.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Sally