Don't know whether to go with chemo or not??

Options
2»

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Just my personal opinion
    My original breast cancer in 1987 was IDC, ER+, PR- and Stage 3A. I was not given a choice about anything: mastectomy, chemo, rads and tamoxifen. I had a 22 year (yes you are reading right) remission and then, in 2009, was diagnosed with bone mets of my right ribs. Rib biopsy=same cancer as 1987 (which we then found out was Her2-).

I am telling you this because cancer is a beast and, even after fighting it with full artillery, it is difficult. Believe me, after 10 yrs I just knew I was cured and after 20 yrs who would ever think I would have a recurrence?

So, my opinion, small or not, fight hard if your doc thinks you should. Hit it with everything you can, if they think it is going to help. I hate the beast!
  • the daughter
    the daughter Member Posts: 33
    Options

Just my personal opinion
    My original breast cancer in 1987 was IDC, ER+, PR- and Stage 3A. I was not given a choice about anything: mastectomy, chemo, rads and tamoxifen. I had a 22 year (yes you are reading right) remission and then, in 2009, was diagnosed with bone mets of my right ribs. Rib biopsy=same cancer as 1987 (which we then found out was Her2-).

I am telling you this because cancer is a beast and, even after fighting it with full artillery, it is difficult. Believe me, after 10 yrs I just knew I was cured and after 20 yrs who would ever think I would have a recurrence?

So, my opinion, small or not, fight hard if your doc thinks you should. Hit it with everything you can, if they think it is going to help. I hate the beast!

feeling optimistic
    Thankyou! You are right- we should fight hard now while we still can. It will be difficult to explain this to my mom but I really feel now she needs to do chemo first- is mastectomoy what the doctor refers to as surgery? I know- dum question- but we know nothing... trying to catch up
  • Mom_Of_Many
    Mom_Of_Many Member Posts: 5
    Options

same question- with less information
    Hi everyone,

I dont know you but I already admire you. My mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer this past Friday. Very hard..... We receive the results of what stage on Wednesday. I do know she has it in her lymp nodes... They are guessing stage 2 and 3I. The recommendation is chemo- then surgrey- then chemo again. My mom doesnt want ot do chemo and we really dontt know what to do but need ot decide by Wednesday when the biposy results come in.

No one in my family knows anything about Cancer- we have faith in GOd but are scared...

My mom went to the beauty salon yesterday and got her hair dyed and highlighted- I know the hairloss potential will send her over the edge..... I am praying if we need ot do chemo- that they can give her a minor dosage before surgery- one that will prevent hairloss

My mom noticed the lump a few months ago- she wanted to wait for my brother to graduate in May and me get marrie din June before going to the doctor- luckly she went last week. It breaks my heart that she put her health at risk for our lives....

chemo - hair loss
    Hair loss is a hard part of chemo, but it is do-able. The last 30yrs my hair has been in a long braid - for almost 20 yr it has been floor length. I was sure that it wouldn't fall out - that I'd be the exception & not loose my long hair. The week before the bilateral mastectomy, I had it cut to shoulder length (the long braid hangs in my bathroom). There was no way for me to wash & comb that much hair after my surgery.

Before my hair fell out I got a wig so I could match the color to my own. American Cancer Society gives out free wigs if your insurance doesn't pay for it or you can't afford to buy it yourself. They also have lots of free scarves & hats. It's been fun trying different scarves & hats. I mostly wear the scarves, the wig gets itchy. Hair loss hasn't been as bad as I was expecting. This too shall pass - there is half an inch of peach fuzz on my head now - the last chemo was Dec. 15th. When my hair is washed & towel dried, it stands on end as if I stuck my finger in the outlet!! It is as soft as baby hair, the children like to rub their hands over my head!

When Mom had BC about 9 yrs ago, she was in FL & it was hot. She just went bald - her sister had to remind her to put a hat on so she wouldn't sunburn! Mom put temporary tattoos of butterflies on her head. When they washed off, she'd move them to a diffrent spot. Lots of people commented how nice her head looked bald with butterflies! She had lots of fun with it. Remember this too shall pass - make lemonade! Cyndi
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options

feeling optimistic
    Thankyou! You are right- we should fight hard now while we still can. It will be difficult to explain this to my mom but I really feel now she needs to do chemo first- is mastectomoy what the doctor refers to as surgery? I know- dum question- but we know nothing... trying to catch up

That is not a dumb question
    That is not a dumb question at all. Mastectomies are not done as frequently as they were when I was first diagnosed. Many here have had lumpectomies. My doc said I wasn't a candidate for a lumpectomy because I had a large tumor and a small breats.

Just take it a day at a time and ask lots of questions. Healthcare workers know that you will need to ask lots of questions and that you will often ask the same question more than once (shock makes us forgetful). And we are here to help!
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Just my personal opinion

What Cynthia writes is so
    What Cynthia writes is so true! Anyone fighting bc has to do all that they can to rid themselves of it. Listen to the oncologist, and, make your decision, but, don't not have a treatment if it is recommended to help you. Good luck.

Leeza