Some of you have asked, "What's a Chemo Angel?"

missrenee
missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Chemo Angels is a national organization of volunteers who are assigned to a person going through cancer treatment. That volunteer agrees to keep in touch with that person either by email, cards, letters, small gifts, etc. The main purpose is to try to put a little sunshine in that person's day while going through some of the toughest times in their life.

I had two marvelous women as my angels--one lived in Indiana and the other in Delaware. I got at least 2 cards/letters/emails a week from each one as well as numerous gifts--some were even home-made. One gift was a lovely little pillow made by one of the angels with a soft flannel covering and my name embroidered on it. It was lovely. Another was a beautiful tea towel with flowers and my name embroidered. I also got souvenirs when they went on vacations from various places, t-shirts, funny gifts, candies, etc. It is not required that the patient do anything but accept these kindnesses. I, however, wrote each angel often to let them know how much they brightened some very dark days. It is a wonderful program.

I'm hoping to be half as good to someone else as my angels were to me. If you google "chemo angels" you should find their website if you are interested.

Hugs, Renee

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    I too had two great Chemo Angels!
    One from Kentucky and the other from California. They were both absolutely marvelous and really helped brighten my days during chemo. I still keep in touch with them through e-mail, facebook & cards. Dianne, my angel from California, has been extra special to me. She still sends me handmade cards and gifts. She even sends gifts for my granddaughter, Isabella. I just had to do something special for her and sent her a beautiful flower arrangement for Christmas.

xoxo
    Jean
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Thanks for posting
    I just went to their site and signed up. Hope being over a year out from surgery and riding NED will make me acceptable.

Susan
  • Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    Jean 0609 said:

I too had two great Chemo Angels!
    One from Kentucky and the other from California. They were both absolutely marvelous and really helped brighten my days during chemo. I still keep in touch with them through e-mail, facebook & cards. Dianne, my angel from California, has been extra special to me. She still sends me handmade cards and gifts. She even sends gifts for my granddaughter, Isabella. I just had to do something special for her and sent her a beautiful flower arrangement for Christmas.

xoxo
    Jean

Thank you Jean and Renee!!
    Thank you Jean and Renee!! I'm "looking forward" to chemo in the New Year starting late Feb. and this makes me feel better already. I am so glad you posted this info. What an amazing program.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    What an amazing service
    I didn't know about this when I went through chemo but sure wish I did.

What a wonderful idea. I too hope to reciprocate but I would need something
    hands on... I suck at sending cards or packages. Though I LOVE to receive
    them, maybe this should be a new year's resolution for me. =)

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • Rague
    aysemari said:

What an amazing service
    I didn't know about this when I went through chemo but sure wish I did.

What a wonderful idea. I too hope to reciprocate but I would need something
    hands on... I suck at sending cards or packages. Though I LOVE to receive
    them, maybe this should be a new year's resolution for me. =)

Hugs,
    Ayse

Road to Recovery
    You might check out ACS's 'Road To Recover'. It's designed to find people who can give rides to treatments for those who cannot drive or have no family/friends who cannot drive them. This past summer I met a fantastic man who I am blessed to know and was able to take him to him daily to his rads. I did it daily but you can do as few or as much as you can.

Sorry for side-tracking'.

Susan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    sounds great and how an
    sounds great and how an someone be THE Angel?
  • Rague

sounds great and how an
    sounds great and how an someone be THE Angel?

www.chemoangels.com
    Go to www.chemoangles.com for the info rather you want to volunteer or need one..

Susan
  • sweetvickid
    sweetvickid Member Posts: 459 Member
    Rague said:

www.chemoangels.com
    Go to www.chemoangles.com for the info rather you want to volunteer or need one..

Susan

So excited!
    I just finished filling out an app to become a chemo angel!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Rague said:

www.chemoangels.com

Susan

thanks for info...
    I'll check it out...
  • jbuff
    jbuff Member Posts: 27

thanks for info...
    I'll check it out...

How Blessed am I.....
    I started chemo on Sept 2nd and everyone that has been there doing chemo has been my angels...everyone has a story and if you truly listen you will find that your story is not as bad as their's....and these angels come back to you...when you need them most! Treasure each other!