It's just hair, right?

hopefulwhumor
hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I mean, from everything I've read on here, I've been expecting to lose it, but now that it's coming out in handfuls, I'm not sure I'm ready! I have decided not to get a wig, mainly because I wear my own hair up in a ponytail most of the time, so thought it was kinda silly to get one, just to pull it up... besides, don't think it'd look right. I think maybe I'm just in denial at the moment. Oh well, like I said, it's just hair, and will grow back, (I hope). If this is the worst side effect I have, then I will consider myself luckly. Just needed to "voice" this I guess, maybe make it a little more real. The only thing I wish, is that is it summer so I could get "share" my SMOOTH legs.... LOL.
Hope everyone has a great holiday next week!

Kristi:)

Comments

• bluwillo
    bluwillo Member Posts: 113
    There are a lot of plusses...
    Kristie, if it all works out well, your head is not the only place that will be hairless. Just think of it...months of no shaving your legs! If you're old enough to get those pesky facial hairs...pooof! No more tweezers!

And then it will be all back! Mine was dark blonde pre-chemo, when it finally came it, it was mouse-gray. YUCKO TO THE MAX! I used a 28 day dye about 4 months ago...and I think my dark brown hair is back. I see no gray roots.

True, it was not the strawberry blonde, naturally curly hair that I ordered from God ("Dear God, ok, if I have to do this cancer thing, can you at least give me strawberry blonde hair?") but it is a bit wavy. And people say I look good in short hair (mine was long before).

And yeah, being bald, especially in the winter, is the worst. You can do it! Hoodies are your friend!!

have a great weekend!
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    topless
    You will want to get some hats and scarves to keep you warm. But like you said, it is just hair and it will grow back. I have a little peach fuzz right now since finishing treatments, not sure but it looks rather dark in color. But as everything in this journey, it is what it is. I am not looking forward to shaving my legs again though!!!
    There will be lots of possible side effects but you can have fun with scarves and hats. There are several websites you can get free hats and scarves. Maybe someone can bump up the thread for those sites for you. Good luck with your treatment. Hugs
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    cavediver said:

topless
    You will want to get some hats and scarves to keep you warm. But like you said, it is just hair and it will grow back. I have a little peach fuzz right now since finishing treatments, not sure but it looks rather dark in color. But as everything in this journey, it is what it is. I am not looking forward to shaving my legs again though!!!
    There will be lots of possible side effects but you can have fun with scarves and hats. There are several websites you can get free hats and scarves. Maybe someone can bump up the thread for those sites for you. Good luck with your treatment. Hugs

You're right, Kristi
    In the whole scheme of things--it is JUST Hair. My husband and I had a Friday night happy hour party when we shaved my head (I couldn't stand it falling out clump by clump). We laughed, drank wine and took pictures at the various stages. We then emailed them to all our friends and everyone had a good laugh! What could have been a traumatic experience was really, actually funny. Another side benefit--with no hair to blow dry, flat iron, curling iron, etc. it takes about 10 minutes to get ready--I'm liking that.

Good luck to you.

Hugs, Renee
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    I lOVE your attitude!!!
    ....and you are right...it's just hair, and it's just temporary!!!

I had thick, auburn hair before, thick, dark brown hair now...lol...it's all good!

I, too, didn't wear a wig. Well, I did get one thru my cancer center, beautiful $300 wig originally, but only wore it for 30 minutes before I said "This isn't me...." and returned it!

I went to, of all places, KMart. They had all sorts of cute caps and hats! And then wore different colored scarves to match my outfit when I was at work...

If you do 'go naked', just remember this is virgin skin that hasn't seen the outside world in a while. Sunscreen when it's sunny, something warm when it's cold. Also, I used the pink stuff from Mary Kay that their gals call 'axlegrease' when my scalp got dry...

Hugs, Kathi
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    KathiM said:

I lOVE your attitude!!!
    ....and you are right...it's just hair, and it's just temporary!!!

I had thick, auburn hair before, thick, dark brown hair now...lol...it's all good!

I, too, didn't wear a wig. Well, I did get one thru my cancer center, beautiful $300 wig originally, but only wore it for 30 minutes before I said "This isn't me...." and returned it!

I went to, of all places, KMart. They had all sorts of cute caps and hats! And then wore different colored scarves to match my outfit when I was at work...

If you do 'go naked', just remember this is virgin skin that hasn't seen the outside world in a while. Sunscreen when it's sunny, something warm when it's cold. Also, I used the pink stuff from Mary Kay that their gals call 'axlegrease' when my scalp got dry...

Hugs, Kathi

We all understand
    I always threatened to do the Demi Moore thing, shave my head when I had bad hair days. Then when I had to, it wasn't as cool as when Demi did it. It was when I thought, "omg I really do have this ----- disease." I had no hair in the late fall/winter, so I wore hats. When spring rolled around I had hair. It is so soft, I love it.

I wish you the very best with the treatments you have to endure.
    Jennifer
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

We all understand
    I always threatened to do the Demi Moore thing, shave my head when I had bad hair days. Then when I had to, it wasn't as cool as when Demi did it. It was when I thought, "omg I really do have this ----- disease." I had no hair in the late fall/winter, so I wore hats. When spring rolled around I had hair. It is so soft, I love it.

I wish you the very best with the treatments you have to endure.
    Jennifer

I was pretty much in the
    I was pretty much in the house so I didnt deal with the weather that much but wore a soft cotton sleep cap at home and at night. then I transitioned into nothing at night but it took a while. i was not a go naked girl. This is all transient, it will pass and you will have hair before you know it!
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    I was like you
    I had long strawberry blonde hair,waist. Second chemo started to fall out. Sick joke is my husband was being a bit of a turd. I grabbed two hand fulls of hair and said, "you make me want to pull my hair out." I thought it was kind of funny. Me standing there with 2 handfuls of hair. His face didnt seem to enjoy it as much as me. So we did a shave job since I kind of had a couple baldy areas.
    Yes "Virginia" it grows back. People say my shorter hair makes me look younger. Dont know how short hairs make wrinkles disappear. Lol
    If its cold were you are, wear bandanas and cap. Loved mine. Still wear cap. Its my lucky cap. It will be ok. Im a ponytail kind of girl too. Katz
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Right! "Just" Hair!!
    LOL. I must say... I didn't think it was going to be a major deal for me either...boy was I WRONG! I found out just how vein I really was! LOL. Never liked my hair or carried much about it, UNTIL it all came out!

You have a great attitude. It isn't easy, but it WILL grow back. And like others have said, there are pluses...you can get ready to go out much faster and save a bunch of money on hair cuts and hair products!! LOL.

I had a wig, scarves and baseball hats. Wore my wig once (HATED it...too hot and itchy). I lived in my cool scarves and hats. Then when it started growing back I bough some big **** earrings and had fun with it! LOL.

You'll get through it fine, but it is quite the shock to the psyche! :)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    Hairless!
    Yes, it is only hair, and it does grow back! I actually think I have a better head of hair now than I did before chemo. Probably because I lost all the chemically damaged hair, anyway, I chose not to wear a wig either, hats and scarves seemed much more comfortable. Hugs...alison
  • hopefulwhumor
    hopefulwhumor Member Posts: 45

Hairless!
    Yes, it is only hair, and it does grow back! I actually think I have a better head of hair now than I did before chemo. Probably because I lost all the chemically damaged hair, anyway, I chose not to wear a wig either, hats and scarves seemed much more comfortable. Hugs...alison

Thank you all SOOOO much for
    Thank you all SOOOO much for the support! Looking forward to not shaving and tweezing! LOL.

Blessings to all!!!

Kristi