Keep on, keepin' on!

hope0310
hope0310 Member Posts: 320
edited March 2014 in Caregivers #1
What a tough 5 months this has been. ; (

My active, young 66 yr old mom was dx w/SCLC w/mets to brain on March 1st. 12 WBR radiation treatments, then discover on spine...12 more rad treatments and on to chemo.

It has been quite a rollercoaster ride to say the least. Mom is currently in remission so that is a wonderful thing, but is currently unable to walk due to extreme weakness in her legs. She spent 37 days in hosptial getting test after test and there is no medical reason for this. She has now been in inpatient PT for a week. She hates being there....

She has lost from 169 to 116 pounds (5'8") She has trouble with short term memory due to WBR radation...

But that is not all......June 28th my mother in law was dx with esophogeal cancer!!

I get down from time to time, and feel sorry for myself, but I have to pick myself up and realize it is not about me, it is about them. My job is to love support and make memories....

Take care
Elysia

Comments

• grandmafay
    grandmafay Member Posts: 1,633 Member
    About You
    It really is about you, too. Everyone who has a loved one with cancer is affected by it. It is ok to get down now and then, but you are right. Your job is to give love and support. Try to take care of yourself, too, though. That is one of the hardest things to do. I am glad your mother is currently in remission but sorry you are having to deal with the other things. Come here when you need support. Don't be too hard on yourself for feeling sorry for yourself. It really is a very human thing to feel. Fay