I'm New Here & Have A Million Questions

Options
Jean 0609
Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
When should I expect to lose my hair. My first chemo treatment was last Wednesday, June 23rd?

Comments

• 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hi Jean
    I had my first chemo the same day, I am scheduled for 12, so 1 down and 11 to go!! I am getting Cytoxan and Taxotere I shaved my head on Saturday, it's not so bad looking at all, in fact I could be my son's twin now. We look that much alike. I expect my hair will fall about within the next 2 weeks, it's no big deal, at least I'm alive!!!

Love Ronda
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Hair loss
    I started noticing that my hair was coming out on precisely Day 14 after chemo began. I was being given Adriamycin/Cytoxan (4 rounds). I was absent-mindedly running my fingers through my hair and came away with a whole bunch in my fingers. I looked OK for about another week then it just looked ridiculous and was serving no purpose. That is when I had my husband shave it all off. It was very upsetting but there was no other choice.
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My first treatment was 6/18
    I still have my hair - can't seem to make myself shave it. but others tell me it starts to come out around 10-14 days after the first treament. So - I wait !! Although, I've come to terms with it and am ready. :)

Kelly
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Jean
    My first chemo was December 16th, and by New Year's Eve, it was coming out by the handful, so I asked my hubby to buzz it on New Year's day.

Your timing may vary, but most people seem to lose the hair in about 2-3 weeks after the chemo starts.

There are some great resources to help with hair loss -

Heavenly Hats at www.heavenlyhats.org - people going through chemo can request hats and they will send a box for free. I received about 6 hats from them.

Franceluxe.com - They sell headwraps but will send one for no charge to women undergoing chemo. You can pick the one you want, and there are some really beautiful ones to choose from.

Best wishes, and keep coming here to ask questions. It's a great place to get information, support, virtual hugs, and pretty much anything else you need.

Take care,
    Cindy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Hair loss
    I started noticing that my hair was coming out on precisely Day 14 after chemo began. I was being given Adriamycin/Cytoxan (4 rounds). I was absent-mindedly running my fingers through my hair and came away with a whole bunch in my fingers. I looked OK for about another week then it just looked ridiculous and was serving no purpose. That is when I had my husband shave it all off. It was very upsetting but there was no other choice.

Hi Jean and Welcome! I
    Hi Jean and Welcome! I didn't take chemo, so, I can't answer your questions.

But, as you can see, you will get lots of support and help!

Good luck,

Leeza
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Options

Jean
    My first chemo was December 16th, and by New Year's Eve, it was coming out by the handful, so I asked my hubby to buzz it on New Year's day.

Your timing may vary, but most people seem to lose the hair in about 2-3 weeks after the chemo starts.

There are some great resources to help with hair loss -

Heavenly Hats at www.heavenlyhats.org - people going through chemo can request hats and they will send a box for free. I received about 6 hats from them.

Franceluxe.com - They sell headwraps but will send one for no charge to women undergoing chemo. You can pick the one you want, and there are some really beautiful ones to choose from.

Best wishes, and keep coming here to ask questions. It's a great place to get information, support, virtual hugs, and pretty much anything else you need.

Take care,
    Cindy

Thanks for the resources for
    Thanks for the resources for headwraps.
  • Kimosabe
    Kimosabe Member Posts: 43
    Options
    My first treatment was 6/21
    My first treatment was 6/21 and I am waiting as well. What a humbling expereince. Keep me posted.
  • lolad
    lolad Member Posts: 670
    Options
    Jean
    Welcome, I myself started to loose my hair after the second or third treatment. Everyone is different though. Mine started to come out slowly and then in clumps. When that started, my kids and i decided to shave it. The first thing they said was, Mom, you are still beautiful!! I cried, it melted my heart.

Take care
    Laura
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234
    Options
    lolad said:

Jean
    Welcome, I myself started to loose my hair after the second or third treatment. Everyone is different though. Mine started to come out slowly and then in clumps. When that started, my kids and i decided to shave it. The first thing they said was, Mom, you are still beautiful!! I cried, it melted my heart.

Take care
    Laura

Shaving?
    Just wondering how short you all shave your hair?
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    lolad said:

Jean

Take care
    Laura

when I started to notice
    when I started to notice that my hair was actually going to fall out geez I could have been that one in a million..... I went and had it buzzed not shaved though. (I had CMF chemo before where my hair thinned and the constant coming out drove me nuts.) It was less traumatic I did it when I was ready, and got it over with. plus it starts to hurt when its coming out and buzzing helped that too. After I buzzed it some came out when I washed my head but I has a few spikes (mm's) throughout. I think it was about 18 days into it, after second AC
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    carkris said:

when I started to notice
    when I started to notice that my hair was actually going to fall out geez I could have been that one in a million..... I went and had it buzzed not shaved though. (I had CMF chemo before where my hair thinned and the constant coming out drove me nuts.) It was less traumatic I did it when I was ready, and got it over with. plus it starts to hurt when its coming out and buzzing helped that too. After I buzzed it some came out when I washed my head but I has a few spikes (mm's) throughout. I think it was about 18 days into it, after second AC

Hi Jean
    Welcome. Ask your questions, there is always someone who can answer them. The hair loss question. For me it was day 14 after 2nd round of chemo. My hair started coming out in clumps. I shaved my head. That was for me the best thing to do. Hang in there.
  • ms.sunshine
    ms.sunshine Member Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Kat11 said:

Hi Jean
    Welcome. Ask your questions, there is always someone who can answer them. The hair loss question. For me it was day 14 after 2nd round of chemo. My hair started coming out in clumps. I shaved my head. That was for me the best thing to do. Hang in there.

2-3 weeks after chemo. I
    2-3 weeks after chemo. I held out until hair was falling in shower, on my pillow, and in my plate of food. It was then time to say goodbye.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Hello Jean and welcome. I am
    Hello Jean and welcome. I am taking Cytoxan and Taxotere, my hair started coming out 13 days after my first treatment. I chose to shave my head on day 14. I think my hair would have lasted a few more days but I did not want it to be falling out everywhere. My daughter in law shaved mine to a crew cut. I have 1 trt. left, July 2nd!! It was not near as bad as I thought it would be having no hair. The bonus is my underarm hair is gone completely and I just have to shave my legs about 1 time a week!! Wihing you the best with your treatments. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    waffle8 said:

Shaving?
    Just wondering how short you all shave your hair?

Hey waffle I had mine buzzed
    Hey waffle I had mine buzzed down really short kinda a crew cut about a 1/4 inch or so.
    God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • geobarb22
    geobarb22 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    hair loss
    I took taxotere, carboplatin, hercepterin. I started losing my hair about 10 days after the second treatment. After about 2 weeks of watching it come out, I had it shaved to about 2 mm. I felt much better after it was shaved. Started chemo beginning of March. Last treatment (YEAH!) of 6 total was June 17th. The hair that remained on my head continued to grow - I now have a 1/2 inch layer of peach fuzz on my head. It stands up quite comically after I shower! I was surprised that the little hair I had continued to grow throught the treatments. It made me confident that my hair would actually grow back. I am anxiously awaiting that!

Cheers to all - hang in there. Chemo does end and the side effects do go away. I am about 12 days out from my last treatment and my energy level increases every day. I am looking forward to radiation (i believe I just want this to be over with) next week.
  • jo jo
    jo jo Member Posts: 1,175
    Options
    Hi Jean
    My hair started

Hi Jean
    My hair started falling out about 2 weaks after chemo and it just all the sudden started falling out by the handfuls...so i cut it off to the top of my shoulds...i never did shave it until i started looking like smeegle (from Lord of the Rings..the little creature guy)then i buzzed what few strands of hair i had left.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    jo jo said:

Hi Jean
    My hair started

Hi Jean
    My hair started falling out about 2 weaks after chemo and it just all the sudden started falling out by the handfuls...so i cut it off to the top of my shoulds...i never did shave it until i started looking like smeegle (from Lord of the Rings..the little creature guy)then i buzzed what few strands of hair i had left.

lord of the rings
    THANK YOU JoJo, for your "Smeegle" shout out. It made me LOL for real! I so needed that tonight!
  • BlownAway60
    BlownAway60 Member Posts: 851
    Options
    Lost mine 19 days after
    Lost mine 19 days after first chemo.
    It was coming out by the handfuls so I buzzed it.

Hugs

Donna
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options

Lost mine 19 days after
    Lost mine 19 days after first chemo.
    It was coming out by the handfuls so I buzzed it.

Hugs

Donna

Jean, there is a post on
    Jean, there is a post on here that has a lot of websites listed for anyone taking chemo. They are sites for scarves and headwraps and other stuff. Some are free.

You should find a lot of sites there that you can contact.

Hope they help!

Leeza