TJ's Challenge

Options

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options

Okay, this really dates
    Okay, this really dates me....guess I am the oldest one on the board. My 1962 graduation picture was so "60's", and was just like everyone else in the class. All were draped in the same blue netting, and all had the same hairstyle. Guess we were a generation of copy cats. What memories. (Just remember this was the age before hairspray, so in the south, you slept in rollers, and then hurried to school as fast as you could before your hair drooped. What a hoot.) Hugs. Judy

Judy,
    You look so glamorous. And your hair is perfect! I can't believe you didn't use hair spray to keep that up!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options

Okay, this really dates
    Okay, this really dates me....guess I am the oldest one on the board. My 1962 graduation picture was so "60's", and was just like everyone else in the class. All were draped in the same blue netting, and all had the same hairstyle. Guess we were a generation of copy cats. What memories. (Just remember this was the age before hairspray, so in the south, you slept in rollers, and then hurried to school as fast as you could before your hair drooped. What a hoot.) Hugs. Judy

Judy,
    That picture is pure

Judy,
    That picture is pure glamour. It's like Hollywood beauty. I love it. Isn't it surprising the changes just from 62 to 66. We have hairspray and made the best use of it. Aquanet was the armor of the day. But we used rollers too. I remember that it was a sign that you had a date or something planned on Saturday if you were wearing your hair rollers during the day. Covered with a weird pink ruffled thing and then a scarf tied over the top. That was more when I was in 10th grade (64). Then those portable hair dryers came along, first the one with the plastic cover and then the ones that looked like ones in a beauty shop. I actually took the bonnet off of mine and use the hose the individually dry my curlers. Early blower dryer. Should have marketed it, huh? Just after I graduated Cairol came out with the heated rollers. My good friend worked for them and got us all a set for free. But I didn't use mine much because I was getting into the whole hippie look. Spent a lot of time in San Francisco in the Haight and at the Avalon Ballroom, Fillmore West and the park. Quite the contrast from my very traditional graduation picture, but those were taken in September of 65 and that was very different from June of 66.
    Stef
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    fauxma said:

Judy,
    That picture is pure

Judy,
    That picture is pure glamour. It's like Hollywood beauty. I love it. Isn't it surprising the changes just from 62 to 66. We have hairspray and made the best use of it. Aquanet was the armor of the day. But we used rollers too. I remember that it was a sign that you had a date or something planned on Saturday if you were wearing your hair rollers during the day. Covered with a weird pink ruffled thing and then a scarf tied over the top. That was more when I was in 10th grade (64). Then those portable hair dryers came along, first the one with the plastic cover and then the ones that looked like ones in a beauty shop. I actually took the bonnet off of mine and use the hose the individually dry my curlers. Early blower dryer. Should have marketed it, huh? Just after I graduated Cairol came out with the heated rollers. My good friend worked for them and got us all a set for free. But I didn't use mine much because I was getting into the whole hippie look. Spent a lot of time in San Francisco in the Haight and at the Avalon Ballroom, Fillmore West and the park. Quite the contrast from my very traditional graduation picture, but those were taken in September of 65 and that was very different from June of 66.
    Stef

You are so right, Stef. The
    You are so right, Stef. The other thing I remember is wearing huge petticoats with yards and yards of net, with a colored border around the bottom. My job on Saturday was to mix up a large aluminum tub of starch water, soak the petticoat for about thirty minutes, and then run out to the clothes line and hang in right in the middle of the lines. Then you took clothes pins and stretched it out as far as you could around the bottom so that it would dry stiff and "large'. Then when you put it on the next morning for church, your dress hem would almost be even with your waiste, except four feet out. On days you went to school, you would catch a bus at 7:30 in the morning, and by the time you got to school, the starch had sweated off of the petticoat, and stuck to your legs. Oh, those were the days. Today's generation really doesn't know what it is like to live like that, but those of us who lived through those days have lots of funny memories. However, at the time, that was normal....and life was simple. Hugs,

Judy
  • mimivac
    Options

You are so right, Stef. The other thing I remember is wearing huge petticoats with yards and yards of net, with a colored border around the bottom. My job on Saturday was to mix up a large aluminum tub of starch water, soak the petticoat for about thirty minutes, and then run out to the clothes line and hang in right in the middle of the lines. Then you took clothes pins and stretched it out as far as you could around the bottom so that it would dry stiff and "large'. Then when you put it on the next morning for church, your dress hem would almost be even with your waiste, except four feet out. On days you went to school, you would catch a bus at 7:30 in the morning, and by the time you got to school, the starch had sweated off of the petticoat, and stuck to your legs. Oh, those were the days. Today's generation really doesn't know what it is like to live like that, but those of us who lived through those days have lots of funny memories. However, at the time, that was normal....and life was simple. Hugs,

Judy

Great stories
    I love all these stories of life in the 60's. Hair was a big deal in the 90's, too. Particularly, the person who could get her bangs to stand up the highest was the most popular kid in middle school and high school. Perms were also in. You would be golden if you had permed hair, foot-high bangs, and stone-washed jeans with folded cuffs that clung to your ankles. Oh it was awful! I had about 5 perms from age 13-16, including one the day before my prom that made my course hair stick out like a petticoat from my head.
  • creampuff91344
    Options
    mimivac said:

Great stories
    I love all these stories of life in the 60's. Hair was a big deal in the 90's, too. Particularly, the person who could get her bangs to stand up the highest was the most popular kid in middle school and high school. Perms were also in. You would be golden if you had permed hair, foot-high bangs, and stone-washed jeans with folded cuffs that clung to your ankles. Oh it was awful! I had about 5 perms from age 13-16, including one the day before my prom that made my course hair stick out like a petticoat from my head.

Mimi, I certainly can relate
    Mimi, I certainly can relate to your story as well. Our daughter was "styling" in the 90's, and she would always show up for family affairs with the latest "do"....which usually included her bangs being straight up, and her curls almost like Shirley Temple. That was the style, and she really worked at being "in". Then her children came along, and lo and behold, they wanted to copy Mom...at six years old. That was really funny, but we all just oohed and aahed over them. Now, I have a grandson who thinks this style is "rad", so I am looking for pictures to show him....maybe he will catch on that it isn't so cool to be "in". As far as perms are concerned, I can tell you some nightmare stories....like having a perm so tight that I couldn't get a comb through my hair, or the time the salon permed me so tight that it literally fried my hair. I wore a short haircut for a long time because it wouldn't grow. The things we do to be beautiful. Thanks for the memories. Hugs.

Judy
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Okay, this really dates

A fake!

Judy, that isn't you! That is a movie star! I just know it is! Seriously, you are very beautiful! That really is a "Glam" shot!

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Sweet Stef ♥
    Stef, you look so pretty in your picture! And, you look just as sweet then as you are now! I am still trying to find one of my hippy pictures, but, not having any luck.

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    RE said:

Here's mine.
    Here I am at 18 atop my Chevy Impala that I dearly loved!
    RE

You look great on that car! And, I love the car too! Those were the days of the "muscle cars". lol

Love, Jeanne ♥
  • mimivac
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

A fake!

Judy, that isn't you! That is a movie star! I just know it is! Seriously, you are very beautiful! That really is a "Glam" shot!

Love, Jeanne ♥

It's true!
    Judy, you do look like a starlet. I can totally picture you dancing away in a Hollywood musical with great costumes and hair.

Mimi
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Thanks- I think there
    Thanks- I think there probably was some photo touch up involved (LOL).

Lynn ♥

You look just like one of my best girlfriends and she was a doll!

Love, Jeanne ♥

• creampuff91344
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Sweet Stef ♥
    Stef, you look so pretty in your picture! And, you look just as sweet then as you are now! I am still trying to find one of my hippy pictures, but, not having any luck.

Love, Jeanne ♥

How sweet, you guys. Being
    How sweet, you guys. Being the shy type that I was in high school, I truly was embarrassed when the photographer brought out this netting for me to wear. What you can't see is the tears that I had to disguise with makeup because I thought he was really asking too much. But, talk about beauties, these pictures on this thread are wonderful, and certainly bring back fantastic times for all of us. At the time all of the pictures were taken, I am sure everyone was proud of how they looked. Although I don't think it would be the same, it would be fun to revisit these times in our lives, and really appreciate how great they were, and how innocent life was back then. Thank you for your comments, and believe me, your pictures are just as beautiful....as well as you, inside and out. Hugs.

Judy
  • fauxma
    Options

OK go ahead and laugh
    I changed my photo to my 1980 graduation photo from nursing school--full Nurse Ratched costume. Yikes! I won't have this one on here for long. Just can't stand it!

Cynthia,
    One of my friend's

Cynthia,

One of my friend's sister graduated from nursing school in the late sixties and had the full nurse outfit including the white stockings and white shoes. But the good thing is you knew a nurse. Now the nurses, LVNs, orderlies, doctors, techs, all look alike. But I can see that scrubs are so much more comfy and cleanable than a white uniform and a hat that has to be pinned on. You look ready to take on the world.
    Stef
  • fauxma
    Options
    mimivac said:

Great stories

MimiDid you use safety pins
    Mimi
    Did you use safety pins to peg those jeans as tight as could be? Some of the jeans had zippers at the cuffs. And I remember that Guess jeans were the ones to have. Denise has one picture with the pumped up bangs, but her hair was so fine and thin that it just didn't work so she gave it up. And she was told that if she tried to perm her hair it would break and fall out. She did crimp it though. Her hair was very straight until high school and then it developed major waves and curl. It still is. And her best friends hair went into major curl. It was like nature gave her the perfect perm for the time. Now she uses a straightener to get rid of the curl. And have you seen that the pegged are back in. Do you think the foot high pumped bangs will follow. So funny. I hope you find a picture soon. I'll see if I can find Denise's and post it to my expressions. She'll hate me for it cause she hates that picture.
    Stef
  • fauxma
    Options

Judy

Judy
    Petticoats were out of

Judy
    Petticoats were out of style when I was in high school. I loved the way they looked but didn't realize what went into achieving the look. I think the girls of the late fifties and early sixties were so glamourous. Their prom dresses were visions. Ours were more empire and less pouf. Pretty but much simpler. But each generation had its signature and its embarassments as well as its beauty.
    Stef
  • fauxma
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Sweet Stef ♥

Love, Jeanne ♥

I don't have any that I know
    I don't have any that I know of either. I think because we were beyond having our photos taken. We were real, of the earth, not vain silly creatures. We were out living life large and taking a camera along just wasn't a part of that time. But everyone else was photographing us. We were a phenomenom. I remember being in the Haight and having tourist ask to pose with us. Yeah, for a buck.
    Stef
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Class of 1978 - better late than never!
    Here's my senior picture from Lawrence County High School, class of 1978. When I brought it for Joe to scan, he refused to believe it wasn't my college graduation picture! That better not be his way of telling me I look old...
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Great pics!
    I love these pics of all of you! Chen, you can just take your pics to Kinkos or someplace and they will scan it for you. Or, mail it or take it to one of your friends to copy it for you. Then we can see the 50' woman!

Sue :)

Sadly, I really don't have
    Sadly, I really don't have any pix of me~ when I was 20 we had a housefire, and we lost everything.....I didn't realize until recently how much I miss the pictures of my family.

Sigh,
    Chen♥

And that is my face on the 50'poster~ one of my friends superimposed my face on it!

Chen♥
  • fauxma
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Class of 1978 - better late than never!
    Here's my senior picture from Lawrence County High School, class of 1978. When I brought it for Joe to scan, he refused to believe it wasn't my college graduation picture! That better not be his way of telling me I look old...

Moopy,
    He was probably just

Moopy,
    He was probably just blown away by the prettiest girl at Lawrence County High School. I don't think you look old at all, just lovely. My senior picture is one of the few that I don't look 12 years old in. I think it is the clothing that helped. I used to be able to go to the movies at the kiddies price until I was in my twenties. Of course, the flip side is having to show ID for everything. I was even asked for my ID when I was pregnant with Denise and I was 27 and extremely pregnant. Then I don't know, just when I was loving the young thing, wham my age caught up to me. Hardly seems fair. Your beautiful smile has not changed at all over the years. Still just as pretty as ever.
    Stef
  • tat2granny
    tat2granny Member Posts: 77
    Options
    fauxma said:

Moopy,
    He was probably just

Moopy,
    He was probably just blown away by the prettiest girl at Lawrence County High School. I don't think you look old at all, just lovely. My senior picture is one of the few that I don't look 12 years old in. I think it is the clothing that helped. I used to be able to go to the movies at the kiddies price until I was in my twenties. Of course, the flip side is having to show ID for everything. I was even asked for my ID when I was pregnant with Denise and I was 27 and extremely pregnant. Then I don't know, just when I was loving the young thing, wham my age caught up to me. Hardly seems fair. Your beautiful smile has not changed at all over the years. Still just as pretty as ever.
    Stef

Picture change
    Sorry about the picture,, changed it and didn't know it would change here too. Take another look and you'll see the crazy lady in black.lololol
  • fauxma
    Options

Picture change
    Sorry about the picture,, changed it and didn't know it would change here too. Take another look and you'll see the crazy lady in black.lololol

Tat,
    As my dad would have

Tat,
    As my dad would have said, nice set of gams. Was your hair naturally curly or was this a perm period? I love the necklace. It's a cute picture. Thanks for sharing.
    Stef