When can I expect my 'Scalp Hair' to grow back ??? Chemo Treatments finished, and I tired of being

VickiSam
VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Anyone ??? Yes, I know that I am pushy .. Chemo finished, now I looking forward to a lush full scalp of hair ..

VickiSam

Comments

• xskeetshooter
    xskeetshooter Member Posts: 169
    hair
    it will take alot more time for it to grow back, then it did to fall out
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    I finished chemo in early
    I finished chemo in early March, and my hair is now about 2 inches long. So it does take some time. Have faith - it will grow!
    Hugs - Pat
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Sometimes it's slow
    VickiSam, sometimes the process is slower than we want it to be. I finished in early April and I do have a full head of hair now, but it's barely two inches long. It looks like a pixie cut though, and like something I did on purpose instead of as a result of illness. So I'm grateful for that. I've gotten lots of compliments on my hair and my husband wants me to keep it this length always, but, like you, I want my lush, long hair back. Good luck.

Mimi
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    mimivac said:

Sometimes it's slow
    VickiSam, sometimes the process is slower than we want it to be. I finished in early April and I do have a full head of hair now, but it's barely two inches long. It looks like a pixie cut though, and like something I did on purpose instead of as a result of illness. So I'm grateful for that. I've gotten lots of compliments on my hair and my husband wants me to keep it this length always, but, like you, I want my lush, long hair back. Good luck.

Mimi

HAIR
    I finished chemo the end of May ... and seemed to take forever to grow beyond the fuzz stage. But ... as I grew I realized how much I liked the low-maintenance of it. It finally got to the point were parts of it were about 2 inches long ... but others were much shorter. It was looking pretty shaggy so I got my FIRST post-chemo haircut Monday and told I wanted it like Jamie Lee Curtis in those Activa commercials she she just chopped away. I LOVE IT!!!! All I have to do is step out of the shower ... run a towel over it... kind of push some of the hair around with my fingers and that's it! No hair dryer ... not comb, brush, curling iron etc. I LOVE IT!!!! So ... one more "side-effect" of my chemo treatments was my new hairdo.

hugs.
    teena
  • teresa41
    teresa41 Member Posts: 471
    tgf said:

HAIR
    I finished chemo the end of May ... and seemed to take forever to grow beyond the fuzz stage. But ... as I grew I realized how much I liked the low-maintenance of it. It finally got to the point were parts of it were about 2 inches long ... but others were much shorter. It was looking pretty shaggy so I got my FIRST post-chemo haircut Monday and told I wanted it like Jamie Lee Curtis in those Activa commercials she she just chopped away. I LOVE IT!!!! All I have to do is step out of the shower ... run a towel over it... kind of push some of the hair around with my fingers and that's it! No hair dryer ... not comb, brush, curling iron etc. I LOVE IT!!!! So ... one more "side-effect" of my chemo treatments was my new hairdo.

hugs.
    teena

hair growing slow
    i finished chemo in september my hair is coming back very slow its only about a inch now.

teresa
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    teresa41 said:

hair growing slow
    i finished chemo in september my hair is coming back very slow its only about a inch now.

teresa

For me it was about 6
    For me it was about 6 months, it came in really thick and curly. I went to a hairdresser who styled it for me. I still keep it short, but it starting to lose its curl. My hair came in black and grey, so i also had it colored. At least it is winter and you can wear a cute hat,
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    So good to see you're back
    So good to see you're back posting Vicki! I missed not seeing your comments. I don't have an answer for you other than to say that I am in the same boat you're in.

My hair fell out some months ago and I am sporting a wig that looks like Steve Perry's( Journey) hair. It doesn't look all that bad considering, have received complements on my new do. Like you, though, I can't wait to have my true locks grow back!

Love,
    BL
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Welcome Back!
    So glad to hear from you! Yippeee!! Done with the T/C! So you are done for the year? Are they finally giving you a break?! Lord only knows you need one!
    I wonder the same thing about my hair. I've come to terms with the balness-now it's time to show some form of life! I'm tired of the stubbly, bald patch look. Anytime now.....
    Cathy
  • ppurdin
    ppurdin Member Posts: 1,181 Member
    hair.
    Its been since Oct. I been bald.I have about a inch of hair.But it is very thin and gray with black in it.Not very attractive at all.I have got used to the low matiness though.i think it will take several months for me to have hair.Right now it looks like a little old mans head that is almost bald.The weather is cold in Ohio so i have to keep something on my head.Good luck.Hopefully yours will grow faster then mine.Good luck.Love and Prayers(Pat).
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    ppurdin said:

hair.
    Its been since Oct. I been bald.I have about a inch of hair.But it is very thin and gray with black in it.Not very attractive at all.I have got used to the low matiness though.i think it will take several months for me to have hair.Right now it looks like a little old mans head that is almost bald.The weather is cold in Ohio so i have to keep something on my head.Good luck.Hopefully yours will grow faster then mine.Good luck.Love and Prayers(Pat).

My hair
    My hair grew back when I was still on chemo. I didn't have hair from the end of March to middle of June and didn't finish the chemo part until end of July and my hair came in fast. I have already had a hair cut back in October.

Hair grows back in for everyone differently.

Margo
  • pitt
    pitt Member Posts: 387
    vickiSam, I'm like you! I
    vickiSam, I'm like you! I finished chemo on Dec 3rd and I swear that my hair is starting to grow back. I can feel a little stubble in areas that were as smooth as a baby's bottom. I don't know if this will stay or grow thick or what...I'm just thrilled to be done with chemo. On to the next thing... Hugs, Pitt
  • marywest
    marywest Member Posts: 132
    pitt said:

vickiSam, I'm like you! I
    vickiSam, I'm like you! I finished chemo on Dec 3rd and I swear that my hair is starting to grow back. I can feel a little stubble in areas that were as smooth as a baby's bottom. I don't know if this will stay or grow thick or what...I'm just thrilled to be done with chemo. On to the next thing... Hugs, Pitt

its exciting
    I finished chemo in April, have had my hair trimmed twice and yestarday got a perm. I was unlucky for mine to come back curly. My hair dresser suggested I use nioxin shampoo and conditioner, its one of the healthiest shampoos to use. I loved having my hair grow back. I felt it everyday. The little kids in my family were there when my hair got shaved, they all took turns cutting it, and everytime they see me they want to touch my hair, they love it. My eyelashes grew back fast as my eye brows. I know, its not fast enough, but.....you will have hair and it will feel so good. To me, that was part of the victory of winning over cancer. Waaahooo enjoy every little strand. It was also a joy to hand down my scarves and hats to those being diagnosed with BC. I met a lady on this site and got to mail mine to her. What a great way to give to the newbies on here. Happy holidays to you
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    Give me a head of hair!
    I finished chemo on July 27. I have just enough hair for people to think I did this on purpose- about 2/3 of an inch long. My hair dresser just trimmed it for the first time and she could barely get a hold of it. But I am happy and proud of my hair. Eyebrows and lashes were first to grow back. Good luck.
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    scout5000 said:

Give me a head of hair!
    I finished chemo on July 27. I have just enough hair for people to think I did this on purpose- about 2/3 of an inch long. My hair dresser just trimmed it for the first time and she could barely get a hold of it. But I am happy and proud of my hair. Eyebrows and lashes were first to grow back. Good luck.

Taxol hair....?
    I just finished my 5th Taxol and have peach fuzz all over my head. I'm wondering if I'm going to lose it again, or just have short stuff til I'm done with the 12 doses? Did this happen to any of you? I lost it all after 21 days of the A/C....so this is a nice surprise.
    Especially since it's so cool out.
  • blazytracy
    blazytracy Member Posts: 157
    Hi VickiSam
    Quick note--have had 2 AC, two to go, then rads, hair down to minute cm's...not bald..should I be? I haven't lost all my hair, should I feel guilty? Or does the baldness come after #3 & #4 A/C chemo's?
  • Lynda53
    Lynda53 Member Posts: 210
    I'm off treatments for 6 weeks, and I have fuzz!
    I never lost all of it,I had lots of small baldies,and the rest I kept at 1-2". The baldies have fuzzies ion them now!
    I will be back on chemo soon, so the fuzzies and more will again ~poof~, but that is okay.
    Glad you are done, hope you r hair comes back as soon as possible and yu do well all around!
    Peace
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Hair Growth
    When I was going through chemo my mom (she's a beautician) told me to pick up a bottle of Treseme Volumn Increasing (think that is it, but look for the word volume) shampoo. It is in a black bottle; she said to use it everyday even if I didn't have hair. I bought the conditioner too because here in the North your skin dries out in the winter and I didnt want a peeling head! :-) My chemo ended in December and by April my hair was about 4 inches long and thick! The shampoo is over the counter at the grocery store, WalMart etc. The most I ever paid for it was 5.00. Give it a whirl and see if it helps, it worked for me. You will love your new hair when it comes back!
  • TLynn0102
    TLynn0102 Member Posts: 86
    Mama G said:

Taxol hair....?
    I just finished my 5th Taxol and have peach fuzz all over my head. I'm wondering if I'm going to lose it again, or just have short stuff til I'm done with the 12 doses? Did this happen to any of you? I lost it all after 21 days of the A/C....so this is a nice surprise.
    Especially since it's so cool out.

Peach Fuzz
    I too had the fuzz and after 16 treatments of the Taxol it did not fall out either. I looked like a baby bird the entire time. What I did do was use a conditioner on my hair every day so that the fuzz stayed healty and strong. My aunt went through treatments two different times and she never lost any of her hair. I lost all of mine with the AC too, third treatment on the dot like the doctor told me. Hurt like hell. Then it started to slowly come back and I graduated to 'bird status'. I used the Treseme shampoo and conditioner on my head the entire time, it seemed to make a difference in growth once the treatments stopped. Look for the volume increasing bottle at the grocery store or Walmart. It is an inexpensive good product. Still use it to this day and its been 1 year now. We live in the north where winter hits hard. I wore a wonderful red fleece hat 24 hours a day 7 days a week, kept me nice and warm. It is the only hat I did not donate back after the treatments.