Day 22, 23, 24 and 25 of Sue's Rads

Ritzy
Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
First, thank you all for posting such kind and supportive words on my posts. You don't know how much it means to me. And, it reallyyyyyyyyyyyy makes me happy to know that maybe, just one little something that I might write, would help someone or ease some of their fear of rads. There is nothing to fear about rads, nothing. The bad thing about them is that they will make you tired, you "might" get burnt, but, that is only temporary as you read from others on the site. It does clear up and then your skin will be left like a baby's behind. I hope just the skin texture and not acutally look like it. lol That would be weird to have one side of your chest look like a baby's behind. lol

Well, I am officially somewhat pink, not bad, but, a little pink. Thank goodness it really doesn't hurt. It is just warm to the touch. So now I can say that I am ONE HOT MAMA! And, it is true! lol

Several are graduating at the cancer center, so, it is getting slim pickens now. It is a riot when someone finishes. They have cake, ice cream, cookies, anything you would want. They have balloons, party hats, noisemakers. It is a real party! The tech's even dress up. The cute male tech dresses up as a clown sometimes. lol

Well, I hope that Taleena is doing better and that Peggy is doing well too.

Have a wonderful night all!

Sue :)

Comments

• lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490
    Where is this wonderful
    Where is this wonderful place?
  • Ritzy
    lanie940 said:

Where is this wonderful
    Where is this wonderful place?

Hi Lanie! It is an amazing
    Hi Lanie! It is an amazing place, isn't it?

You want to know something really strange? I have an idea that I am going to miss it and the people. I have gotten so use to them and the routine. And, I feel safe there, if that makes sense.

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Ritzy said:

Hi Lanie! It is an amazing
    Hi Lanie! It is an amazing place, isn't it?

You want to know something really strange? I have an idea that I am going to miss it and the people. I have gotten so use to them and the routine. And, I feel safe there, if that makes sense.

Sue, your cancer center does
    Sue, your cancer center does sound awesome. Mine was too. I think most of them are. I think that is a requirement, or, it should be. haha

As to what else you wrote, I did miss my daily trip to my cancer center when I was done. So, I think that is common. But, you will get past that. I still go see them often. I see my rads oncologist every 2 weeks still, so, I don't get too lonely for them.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    susie09 said:

Sue, your cancer center does sound awesome. Mine was too. I think most of them are. I think that is a requirement, or, it should be. haha

As to what else you wrote, I did miss my daily trip to my cancer center when I was done. So, I think that is common. But, you will get past that. I still go see them often. I see my rads oncologist every 2 weeks still, so, I don't get too lonely for them.

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

One Hot Mama eh?
    Yea, I remember that well. I only burnt a little by my collarbone, but, not bad. And, I stayed warm for a few weeks after I was finished, so, don't let that scare you. Remember when you are done that you are still "cooking", as they say.

Your cancer center sounds great! I am so glad for you Sue! You are doing great!

Lex♥
  • Ritzy
    susie09 said:

♠♣ Susie ♠♣

Thanks Susie
    It is nice to know that I am not nuts then when I say I think I will miss going to the cancer center. I won't miss the zapping, but, I will miss the people, techs and my rads oncologist. I just love him! And, it has become a routine that hubby and I are used to. And, I like my "reward" afterwords. lol

My rads oncologist said I would never be rid of him. lol So, I think he will be in my life for a longgggggggggggg time.

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Ritzy said:

Thanks Susie
    It is nice to know that I am not nuts then when I say I think I will miss going to the cancer center. I won't miss the zapping, but, I will miss the people, techs and my rads oncologist. I just love him! And, it has become a routine that hubby and I are used to. And, I like my "reward" afterwords. lol

My rads oncologist said I would never be rid of him. lol So, I think he will be in my life for a longgggggggggggg time.

You are probably going to
    You are probably going to miss those rewards that you are getting. haha

Sorry that you are getting pink, but, you will be done soon. So, I hope you don't get any worse than that.

Are you over your bronchitis yet? Better? Did you get your flu shot or can you yet?

As you can tell Sue, you are helping many. So, keep posting.

HUGS
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

You are probably going to
    You are probably going to miss those rewards that you are getting. haha

Sorry that you are getting pink, but, you will be done soon. So, I hope you don't get any worse than that.

Are you over your bronchitis yet? Better? Did you get your flu shot or can you yet?

As you can tell Sue, you are helping many. So, keep posting.

HUGS

Lots are reading your posts
    Lots are reading your posts Sue. I will miss them myself. You are funny.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope that your skin stays just pink and doesn't burn.

You are so close to the end. Guess you will get that party too!

Hugs, Diane ♥
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    DianeBC said:

Lots are reading your posts
    Lots are reading your posts Sue. I will miss them myself. You are funny.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope that your skin stays just pink and doesn't burn.

You are so close to the end. Guess you will get that party too!

Hugs, Diane ♥

Party?

Did I hear someone mention party? You know I will be there for you Sue! I will be holding that flashlight as you emerge from the tunnel of rad treatments!

Your cancer center sounds a lot like mine. They are really great, aren't they.

♥ Noel
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Noel said:

Party?

Did I hear someone mention party? You know I will be there for you Sue! I will be holding that flashlight as you emerge from the tunnel of rad treatments!

Your cancer center sounds a lot like mine. They are really great, aren't they.

♥ Noel

So close
    You are so close to being done Ritzy. And, I hope they give you a big party too. When I finished, they gave me presents even and flowers. I was shocked. But, they were all so special to me.

Keep putting Biafine on a lot now since you are turning pink. And, the Aquaphor will keep your skin moist, which is what you want.

Good job!

Leeza
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    All I can say is I didn't
    All I can say is I didn't get no party. :-( Glad you are tho. Almost done!
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    You're getting there, Sue!
    And these parties?! Wow, I hear about this kind of thing all the time, with both rad and chemo graduation. When I finished chemo, one of my nurses announced, "we have a graduate!" and a few people clapped. When I finished rads, I got a hug from my therapist and radiation oncologist and off I went. I'm like Marcia, no party, no nothin'. I'm glad things are going well for you. Almost there!

Mimi
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    mimivac said:

And these parties?! Wow, I hear about this kind of thing all the time, with both rad and chemo graduation. When I finished chemo, one of my nurses announced, "we have a graduate!" and a few people clapped. When I finished rads, I got a hug from my therapist and radiation oncologist and off I went. I'm like Marcia, no party, no nothin'. I'm glad things are going well for you. Almost there!

Mimi

Party!
    Anyone that goes thru rads deserves a big party! I am glad that you will get one Sue. They always celebrated at my cancer center too, took pictures and everything.

You are almost there! Keep resting and putting your creams on thick!

Kristin ♥
  • padee6339
    padee6339 Member Posts: 763
    Marcia527 said:

All I can say is I didn't
    All I can say is I didn't get no party. :-( Glad you are tho. Almost done!

Me neither
    I got a balloon when I finished chemo, and some hugs from the technicians when I finished rads. But I do understand missing it when its done. There were so many nice people in the waiting room, and seeing the same people at the same time in the same place was nice. I missed those who were done (but happy for them) and got to know the newbies when they came in. When you are done its like you have nowhere to go at that time of the day, and nothing to do - its a wierd and strange feeling!
    Pat
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    mimivac said:

Mimi

I got a certificate for
    I got a certificate for graduation from the rads and a hug from all but no party (insert sad face). I want cake and ice cream and candy (sob, sob) LOL I am glad that you are nearly there and hope they throw a terrific party. I will enjoy vicariously through you (insert smiling face).
    I am always so happy when someone finishes an area of their treatment. It is one step closer to NED.
    Stef
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    fauxma said:

I got a certificate for
    I got a certificate for graduation from the rads and a hug from all but no party (insert sad face). I want cake and ice cream and candy (sob, sob) LOL I am glad that you are nearly there and hope they throw a terrific party. I will enjoy vicariously through you (insert smiling face).
    I am always so happy when someone finishes an area of their treatment. It is one step closer to NED.
    Stef

radiation
    My radiation center was terrific too. Patients got massages every Wednesday .... ahhhh .... I miss that. And ... whenever anyone finished their string of treatments ... and they were all done ... they got to (HAD to) ring a bell to let everyone know another person had "graduated." When I got ready to get off the table for the last time one of the tech asked me if I was familiar with New Orlean Mardi Gras traditions. She had no idea ... but ... I'd lived outside of New Orleans for 15 years. Anyway ... she said that one of the traditions is that people yell "show me your T_TS" ... the females lift up their tops ... and the guys throw strings of Mardi Gras beads at the females as a reward for view. Anyway ... the tech then put 3 long strings of REAL Mardi Gras beads around my neck and told me they'd been looking at my boobs for 6 weeks so I really earned those beads! I cried. It brought back such wonderful memories of Mardi Gras ... and the fact that the techs didn't have a clue I'd lived in Louisiana ... made it even more special. The beads have a special place in a pretty dish in my living room as a reminder of those special people and to let me know that I'd completed one more step on the road to recovery.

hugs.
    teena
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    tgf said:

radiation
    My radiation center was terrific too. Patients got massages every Wednesday .... ahhhh .... I miss that. And ... whenever anyone finished their string of treatments ... and they were all done ... they got to (HAD to) ring a bell to let everyone know another person had "graduated." When I got ready to get off the table for the last time one of the tech asked me if I was familiar with New Orlean Mardi Gras traditions. She had no idea ... but ... I'd lived outside of New Orleans for 15 years. Anyway ... she said that one of the traditions is that people yell "show me your T_TS" ... the females lift up their tops ... and the guys throw strings of Mardi Gras beads at the females as a reward for view. Anyway ... the tech then put 3 long strings of REAL Mardi Gras beads around my neck and told me they'd been looking at my boobs for 6 weeks so I really earned those beads! I cried. It brought back such wonderful memories of Mardi Gras ... and the fact that the techs didn't have a clue I'd lived in Louisiana ... made it even more special. The beads have a special place in a pretty dish in my living room as a reminder of those special people and to let me know that I'd completed one more step on the road to recovery.

hugs.
    teena

WOW
    Your mardi gras party sounds really cool Teena! I rang the bell too, which I thought was pretty neat. Everyone applauded, including the waiting room area. I, ofcourse, just started crying. It is emotional. Just know Sue that we will all be with you when you finish!

Kylez ♥
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143
    tgf said:

radiation

hugs.
    teena

Awww, Teena
    That's such a sweet story. I love that they did something so meaningful without even knowing it! I'm sure you will cherish those beads forever. Again, I got no beads, no bell (what's that about?), no certificate, and certainly no massage. Should I go back to my radiation oncologist's office and demand my cake?! LOL.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    mimivac said:

Awww, Teena
    That's such a sweet story. I love that they did something so meaningful without even knowing it! I'm sure you will cherish those beads forever. Again, I got no beads, no bell (what's that about?), no certificate, and certainly no massage. Should I go back to my radiation oncologist's office and demand my cake?! LOL.

I'm with you Mimi!!
    I didn't get anything either. I didn't even get to meet anyone!! I did get hugs, though. I am so happy for you Sue, because finishing rads is something to celebrate. As for me and Mimi and Marcia and anyone else that wants to.....We get extra desert next time we're out!! Hows that for taking matters into our own hands??!! Pammy
  • elm3544
    elm3544 Member Posts: 748
    hey there Hot Mamma!
    just want you to know that your posts are very helpful!
    I faithfully read all the rad posts from everyone and I thank you for sharing.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Well,
    I got to ring the bell(donated I think by another cancer survivor)and got a certificate after finishing chemo,and after rads,I got hugs-so I didn't get any parties either! But I did give a rose to all the women who work at the cancer center(wanted to show them my gratitude).