◄◄◄ LET'S SHARE RECIPES CONTINUED ☼ PART 2 ►►►

Options

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

Tortilla Soup
    This is a little lengthy, but so delicious, especially when the cold weather comes.
    I have tried several of the recipes on this thread, and also the first thread, and have really enjoyed having something new. Thanks girls! Hugs. Judy

TORTILLA SOUP
    4 Skinless, boneless raw chicken breasts – diced
    1 stick margarine
    ½ cup canola oil
    6 ribs celery – diced
    4 cloves minced garlic (or 4 Tablespoons crushed garlic)
    1 large onion – diced
    1 Tablespoon Lemon Pepper
    1-Tablespoon Salt
    1-Tablespoon Cumin
    1-Tablespoon Chili Powder
    ½ cup flour
    4 Zucchini – sliced in rounds with peeling intact
    1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
    4 cans (10 oz) chicken broth or equal homemade stock
    1 can whole kernel corn
    1 fresh jalapeno, seeded & chopped (optional)
    3 Tablespoons Hot Red Pepper Sauce (optional)
    6 to 8 corn tortillas

GARNISHES:
    Sour Cream
    Diced Avocado
    Grated Cheddar Cheese
    Cilantro
    Fresh Chopped Jalapenos
    (I prefer not to have my soup too hot to the taste, and
    therefore don’t use the jalapeno or red pepper sauce)

Heat butter and oil in a large kettle, and sauté chopped onion, jalapeno,
    Garlic, celery and chicken. Simmer 5 minutes. Combine with cumin,
    Chili power, salt, lemon pepper, hot pepper sauce and flour. Add
    Tomatoes, corn, zucchini and chicken stock and simmer for 1 hour.

TO SERVE:
    Cut corn tortillas into strips, and fry until crisp. Serve soup in a bowl, top
    with grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced avocados, and place fried
    tortilla strips either on top, or on the side. (Add jalapeno and cilantro if desired)

ENJOY!

Your recipe sounds really
    Your recipe sounds really good Judy! I am going to have to try it too. I don't like my stuff too hot either. I am sure we will enjoy it!
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Options

Tailgater's Chili
    2 LB ROUND STEAK, CUT INTO 1/2 INCH PIECES
    1 ( 20 OZ. ) CAN KIDNEY BEANS, DRAINED
    3 TBSP. CHOPPED GREEN CHILIES

MIX TOGETHER. ADD TO ABOVE:

1 ENVELOPE DRY ONION SOUP
    1 ( 8 OZ. ) CAN TOMATO SAUCE
    1 CAN OF BEER
    1 1/2 TSP. CHILI POWDER

MIX ALL OF THE ABOVE TOGETHER AND BAKE 1 1/2 HOURS AT 350. REMOVE FROM OVEN.

MIX 1 PACKAGE OF CORN BREAD MIX AS DIRECTED, ADDING 1 CUP SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE. BAKE AN ADDITIONAL 25 MINUTES OR UNTIL BROWN.

Mmmmmm chili
    We love chili! Especially on cool fall days like this. I am making this tomorrow. I don't have the round steak today. But, then that means hubby won't take me out to eat. hmmmmmmmm I need to think about this. lol

Sue :)
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Mmmmmm chili
    We love chili! Especially on cool fall days like this. I am making this tomorrow. I don't have the round steak today. But, then that means hubby won't take me out to eat. hmmmmmmmm I need to think about this. lol

You probably could
    You probably could substitute another steak for the round if you wanted. But, the round is cheaper. If you make it, I hope you like it.

HUGS
  • Ritzy
    Options

You probably could
    You probably could substitute another steak for the round if you wanted. But, the round is cheaper. If you make it, I hope you like it.

HUGS

So, I could use sirloin?
    So, I could use sirloin? Cause I do have that in the freezer. That might even be better. What do you think?

• Ritzy
    Options

Your recipe sounds really
    Your recipe sounds really good Judy! I am going to have to try it too. I don't like my stuff too hot either. I am sure we will enjoy it!

CLAM CHOWDER
    Cook in butter:
    2 cups minced clams, drained --- save juice
    onions, diced
    add some of the juice from the clams

Add:
    2 cans Clam Chowder Soup
    3 cans Cream of Potato Soup
    1 quart half and half

Cook in crock pot at least 4 hours on low heat.

I make this at Christmas time. But, I have to double the recipe at least.
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Ritzy said:

CLAM CHOWDER
    Cook in butter:
    2 cups minced clams, drained --- save juice
    onions, diced
    add some of the juice from the clams

Add:
    2 cans Clam Chowder Soup
    3 cans Cream of Potato Soup
    1 quart half and half

Cook in crock pot at least 4 hours on low heat.

I make this at Christmas time. But, I have to double the recipe at least.

CROCK POT CHILI
    1 lb ground round beef
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup dry red wine or water
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 ( 15 ounce ) can kidney beans *** I use the light red kidney beans ***
    1 ( 14.5 ounce ) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained ( you could just use diced tomatoes )
    6 Tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook ground round until browned stirring to crumble. Add chopped onion, green pepper, red wine or water, chili powder, sugar, cumin, salt and garlic. Cook for 7 minutes. Place meat mixture in slow cooker and stir in beans and tomatoes. Cover with the lid and cook on low heat setting for 4 hours. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with sharp cheddar cheese and serve. I sometimes put a little bit of sour cream on top too.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Noel said:

TEXAS HASH
    1 LB HAMBURGER
    1 SMALL ONION
    2 CUPS TOMATOES
    1 CUP RICE ( UNCOOKED )
    1 TSP. CHILI POWDER
    2 TSP. SALT
    1/8 TSP. PEPPER

BROWN HAMBURGER UNTIL IT FALLS APART AND DRAIN. DICE AND COOK ONION UNTIL YELLOW. THEN, ADD IT TO THE HAMBURGER ALONG WITH THE TOMATOES, RICE AND SEASONINGS. POUR INTO A GREASED 2 QUART CASSEROLE. COVER AND BAKE IN 350 DEGREE OVEN FOR 1 HOUR, REMOVING THE COVER THE LAST 15 MINUTES.

Even I can make this. It
    Even I can make this. It sounds good and easy!

Thanks Noel!

Kylez ♥
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Ritzy said:

CROCK POT CHILI
    1 lb ground round beef
    1 cup onion, chopped
    1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
    1/4 cup dry red wine or water
    1 Tablespoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 ( 15 ounce ) can kidney beans *** I use the light red kidney beans ***
    1 ( 14.5 ounce ) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained ( you could just use diced tomatoes )
    6 Tablespoons shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Cook ground round until browned stirring to crumble. Add chopped onion, green pepper, red wine or water, chili powder, sugar, cumin, salt and garlic. Cook for 7 minutes. Place meat mixture in slow cooker and stir in beans and tomatoes. Cover with the lid and cook on low heat setting for 4 hours. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with sharp cheddar cheese and serve. I sometimes put a little bit of sour cream on top too.

MEXICAN LASAGNA
    Brown 1 pound of hamburger and drain. Add 1 can of mild taco sauce, 1 can of enchilada sauce

( or 2 of either - 16 oz. total ), 1 can refried beans and 1 can chopped chiles. Layer in

casserole dish with flour tortillas and cheese. ( Velveeta is OK ) Bake 1/2 hour at 350 or

until bubbly.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    susie09 said:

MEXICAN LASAGNA
    Brown 1 pound of hamburger and drain. Add 1 can of mild taco sauce, 1 can of enchilada sauce

( or 2 of either - 16 oz. total ), 1 can refried beans and 1 can chopped chiles. Layer in

casserole dish with flour tortillas and cheese. ( Velveeta is OK ) Bake 1/2 hour at 350 or

until bubbly.

Yum! We love Mexican. I
    Yum! We love Mexican. I will try this and it is easy! Instead of Velveeta, can I use sharp cheddar cheese?

Leeza
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Yum! We love Mexican. I
    Yum! We love Mexican. I will try this and it is easy! Instead of Velveeta, can I use sharp cheddar cheese?

Leeza

Traci's Potato-Leek Soup
    I have a hard time eating any vegetables for about a week after each chemo, and many of you suggested potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. I’ve made this delicious soup for many years, and it freezes and reheats very well, so I made a batch and froze it in individual portions. It was perfect after chemo -- so easy to just take out of the freezer and heat in the microwave when I didn’t feel like cooking anything, and easy on my stomach, too.

4 large leeks
    2 tablespoons butter
    about 4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (you may need a little more or less)
    2 large russet potatoes
    1 cup milk (optional)
    Freshly ground black pepper

Garnishes:
    Chopped fresh chives or green onions
    Grated cheddar cheese

Cut off the stalk of each leek (discard the leafy part), wash very thoroughly, and slice into thin slices.

Wash and peel potatoes, but leave some skin on. Dice.

Sauté leeks in butter over medium heat in large saucepan or small stockpot until tender, but do not brown.

Add broth and potatoes, cover pot and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Add milk, if using. Season with a little freshly ground black pepper. Purée soup with immersion/hand blender or in batches in the blender -- I like to leave it a little chunky. Return pureed soup to pot and heat through. Sprinkle with chives, green onion, and/or grated cheese and serve.

Serves 3, as a main dish
  • Ritzy
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Traci's Potato-Leek Soup
    I have a hard time eating any vegetables for about a week after each chemo, and many of you suggested potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. I’ve made this delicious soup for many years, and it freezes and reheats very well, so I made a batch and froze it in individual portions. It was perfect after chemo -- so easy to just take out of the freezer and heat in the microwave when I didn’t feel like cooking anything, and easy on my stomach, too.

4 large leeks
    2 tablespoons butter
    about 4 cups canned low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth (you may need a little more or less)
    2 large russet potatoes
    1 cup milk (optional)
    Freshly ground black pepper

Garnishes:
    Chopped fresh chives or green onions
    Grated cheddar cheese

Cut off the stalk of each leek (discard the leafy part), wash very thoroughly, and slice into thin slices.

Wash and peel potatoes, but leave some skin on. Dice.

Sauté leeks in butter over medium heat in large saucepan or small stockpot until tender, but do not brown.

Add broth and potatoes, cover pot and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

Add milk, if using. Season with a little freshly ground black pepper. Purée soup with immersion/hand blender or in batches in the blender -- I like to leave it a little chunky. Return pureed soup to pot and heat through. Sprinkle with chives, green onion, and/or grated cheese and serve.

Serves 3, as a main dish

Love spuds lol
    Traci, this sounds good. And, even though I didn't have chemo, I do love potatoes. I can't wait to make this!

• Ritzy
    Options
    susie09 said:

VEGETABLE SOUP
    1 - 1 1/2 LB. GROUND ROUND, BROWNED
    1 CAN DRAINED PEAS
    2 LARGE ONIONS, CHOPPED
    2 - 3 MEDIUM POTATOES ( CHOPPED )
    SALT, PEPPER, TABASCO TO TASTE
    2 CARROTS, CHOPPED
    1 LARGE CAN CHICKEN BROTH
    4 STALKS CHOPPED CELERY
    1/2 SMALL HEAD GRATED CABBAGE

BROWN THE GROUND ROUND. ADD REMAINING INGREDIENTS AND SIMMER. AS IT BOILS DOWN SLOWLY, ADD 1 LARGE CAN OF TOMATO JUICE. AT THE END OF THE COOKING, ADD 1 CAN CREAM STYLE CORN AND I ALSO ADD 1 CAN OF GREEN BEANS.

EASY AND GOOD ON A COOL FALL DAY!

My sister is here and she
    My sister is here and she just loves to cook so I showed her all of these recipes. She has been making them and they are all so good. Thanks for posting them. Please post more! lol

• Kylez
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Love spuds lol
    Traci, this sounds good. And, even though I didn't have chemo, I do love potatoes. I can't wait to make this!

SAUSAGE AND EGG CASSEROLE
    1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
    6 eggs
    1 tsp. salt
    2 slices of white bread
    2 cups milk
    1 cup grated cheese

Mix together and put in a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees until firm and browned.

We like this for Sunday brunch. It is easy and fast.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

SAUSAGE AND EGG CASSEROLE
    1 lb. sausage, browned and drained
    6 eggs
    1 tsp. salt
    2 slices of white bread
    2 cups milk
    1 cup grated cheese

Mix together and put in a greased casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees until firm and browned.

We like this for Sunday brunch. It is easy and fast.

My kind of food - fast and easy ☻
    I am all for easy and I fix Sunday brunch some when we have friends and family out. So, I am going to try this.

Kristin ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

My kind of food - fast and easy ☻
    I am all for easy and I fix Sunday brunch some when we have friends and family out. So, I am going to try this.

Kristin ♥

Favorite Simple Salad
    1 large fat free cottage cheese
    1 envelope orange Jell-O ( dry )
    1 #2 can mandarin oranges, drained
    1 small fat free Cool Whip

Fold all ingredients together, chill. Optional: can add sliced bananas. Can use any flavor of Jell-O and complimentary fruit.
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

Favorite Simple Salad
    1 large fat free cottage cheese
    1 envelope orange Jell-O ( dry )
    1 #2 can mandarin oranges, drained
    1 small fat free Cool Whip

Fold all ingredients together, chill. Optional: can add sliced bananas. Can use any flavor of Jell-O and complimentary fruit.

This sounds wonderful. I
    This sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    MyTurnNow said:

This sounds wonderful. I
    This sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

Tomato Basil Soup

3 ( 14-OZ. ) CANS CRUSHED TOMATOES
    4 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
    2 TEASPOONS SWEET BASIL
    1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
    1 STICK OF BUTTER
    SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

SIMMER TOMATOES AND BROTH OVER MEDIUM HEAT FOR 30 MINTUES. PUREE IN SMALL BATCHES IN BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR WITH BASIL. ADD CREAM, BUTTER, SALT AND PEPPER. HEAT THOROUGHLY. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BOIL.
  • Kylez
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Tomato Basil Soup

3 ( 14-OZ. ) CANS CRUSHED TOMATOES
    4 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH
    2 TEASPOONS SWEET BASIL
    1 CUP HEAVY CREAM
    1 STICK OF BUTTER
    SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE

SIMMER TOMATOES AND BROTH OVER MEDIUM HEAT FOR 30 MINTUES. PUREE IN SMALL BATCHES IN BLENDER OR FOOD PROCESSOR WITH BASIL. ADD CREAM, BUTTER, SALT AND PEPPER. HEAT THOROUGHLY. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BOIL.

This sounds good. And, it
    This sounds good. And, it gives me the chance to use my food processor. Thanks!

I love your hearts falling!

♥ Kylez ♥
  • Ritzy
    Options
    Kylez said:

This sounds good. And, it
    This sounds good. And, it gives me the chance to use my food processor. Thanks!

I love your hearts falling!

♥ Kylez ♥

Fiesta Bake
    1 lb ground beef
    1 cup onion, chopped
    3/4 cup salsa
    1 package taco seasoning
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup corn
    1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
    1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup diced green chiles

Cook beef and onion; drain. Stir in salsa, taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer 5 - 6 minutes. Stir in corn and olives. Spoon into a 8 inch square baking dish. Prepare cornbread mix per package directions. Stir in cheese and chiles. Mix well and spread over the meat mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown. Top with additional salsa, if desired.

Can I say "OLE"? lol Sue :)
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Ritzy said:

Fiesta Bake
    1 lb ground beef
    1 cup onion, chopped
    3/4 cup salsa
    1 package taco seasoning
    1/4 cup water
    1 cup corn
    1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
    1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
    1 cup cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup diced green chiles

Cook beef and onion; drain. Stir in salsa, taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Simmer 5 - 6 minutes. Stir in corn and olives. Spoon into a 8 inch square baking dish. Prepare cornbread mix per package directions. Stir in cheese and chiles. Mix well and spread over the meat mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown. Top with additional salsa, if desired.

Can I say "OLE"? lol Sue :)

I will say "OLE"!
    Sue, this sounds easy and really good! I am going to make this for sure. I am glad to see this recipe thread back on. I always loved it and I missed it.

Kristin ♥