It's My Birthday

Options
nudgie
nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I turn 45 years young today and I feel 30ish, so that is a good sign to have :). As I sit here at work (been here since 5:00am) typing this, I am also thinking, what have I done and accomplished in these 45 years and I guess it really doesn't matter what we accomphlish in life, it is what we DO WITH LIFE that counts :)

So I ask all my FAMILY here, what do you DO WITH LIFE?

I enjoy everyday I have been given

Comments

• VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    What do I do with Life?
    First HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

My biggest accomplishment is my darling daughter, my best friend. She reaffirms my life daily, as do her children. My grandsons are my legacy.

On the personal side, 3 years ago I walked away from my corporate job and started my own magazine publishing company. We aren't making big bucks, but I am holding my own. I am proud of that.

And 3rd...I beat cancer! I am NED and plan to stay that way.

Many hugs, Vicki
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Happy Happy Birthday
    A very happy birthday to you. I hope that you are planning something special today. Let everyone wait on you and pamper you.

I've always tried to help the less fortunate. Working at soup kitchens, and food depots, visiting nursing homes, donating to food for the poor. Waiting to get to feeling better so I can go back to the food depot. Lot of lifting so I can't do that right now, but I miss it.

Kim
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!
    Whew! Another year!!! YEA!!!!

What do I do with life? Enjoy every minute. Since I was, according to stats, to be dead by now, each and every day is a g i f t ...and one I get to open every day!!! I also am quick to make sure I am understood...so I don't leave anything open, should I pass. I can see the beauty in things better...including Holland, where I am now...

Hugs, Kathi
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!
    Aren't Birthday's the greatest!!!

I try to live my life and enjoy it.
    I try to help others however I can.
    I try to make people smile
    I try to make people think

This is very trying...I'll have to get back to this
    -phil ;-)
  • Sundanceh
    Sundanceh Member Posts: 4,392 Member
    Options
    Happiest Birthday Ever
    Happy Birthday to You. I hope it is a great one for you.

In the Expressions section of my profile page I had a similar question on what I had not done in Life up to the point and getting Cancer - The Promise - was the story I wrote about what I would do with a 2nd chance at Life. And so I made a DVD for Alison Krauss and Jerry Douglas and Union Station with me singing their songs in a duet fashion so it sounded like I was singing with her. I recorded 11 songs and had a production company to work with me to create bios, slideshows, dedications, and the songs that were sung - we created front, back and inside covers and it turned out real nice. Eventually, through alot of trial and tribulation, my DVD made into the hands of Jerry Douglas, who watched it and sent back his sincere comments. One of the highlights of my life.

Now, Since Cancer what I have done and try to do is:

I try and help people.
    I try to be a joy and not a hindrance.
    I work everyday I can.
    I try to be some type of contributor to society that I can.
    I strive to become a better man today than I was yesterday.
    I try to be strong as I can in my resolve to live.

I've experienced the delicate balance between health and sickness and realize how quickly it can change and you can be on the other side in a heartbeat.

I've learned how to appreciate the people in my life more.

The biggest lesson I have learned is one of the oldest - I know you all understand this one
    "When you have your health, you are rich beyond any material means known to mankind."

I hope to continue to make it so I can learn more.

Happy Birthday, Nudgie!
    All My Best -
    Craig
  • Fight for my love
    Fight for my love Member Posts: 1,522 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to
    Happy Birthday to you,Nudgie.
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Life
    Nudgie,

Happy Birthday! I just turned 45 in January and it's wonderful. 2009 isn't going exactly like my best year ever, but you know I'll have fun.

Don't you have an adult son living in Chicago? He is happy and building his own life now. You are still happily married to his father. You have already accomplished a tremendous amount in your life. You don't have to be a famous rockstar to ROCK!

You touch others lives in a positive way every day. That is how one spends their lives. Some use laughter, some spirituality, some compassion...we all have different talents. By living every day with purpose and making it a better place, you ARE doing so very much with your life. Living a good, happy, quiet life HAS VALUE! Find joy. Laughter. Peace.

Hugs,

Kimby
  • eric38
    eric38 Member Posts: 583
    Options
    kimby said:

Life
    Nudgie,

Happy Birthday! I just turned 45 in January and it's wonderful. 2009 isn't going exactly like my best year ever, but you know I'll have fun.

Don't you have an adult son living in Chicago? He is happy and building his own life now. You are still happily married to his father. You have already accomplished a tremendous amount in your life. You don't have to be a famous rockstar to ROCK!

You touch others lives in a positive way every day. That is how one spends their lives. Some use laughter, some spirituality, some compassion...we all have different talents. By living every day with purpose and making it a better place, you ARE doing so very much with your life. Living a good, happy, quiet life HAS VALUE! Find joy. Laughter. Peace.

Hugs,

Kimby

Happy B - Day!
    HAPPY FREAKIN` BIRTHDAY! - Nudgie.
    I try to make peoples lives a little better than it was before they met me.

Eric }:.}
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    I have a B-day soon too
    Hi Nudgie,

Happy birthday!!!! I do hope you thoroughly enjoy your day!!!!!
    I, too, have a birthday just around the corner- I turn 43 on July 11th. I'll be on my vacation then, probably in the Big Apple on the actual day of my Bday.

What do I "do with life"? Well... although it's harder sometimes to be real cheery because I have numerous aches and pains to deal with as most of us do now, I "make myself" be more cheerful and positive by resolving that I want to have a positive impact on everyone around me now. I take the time to try to go out of my way more for others. I love seeing that I can sometimes cause smiles to appear on others. :) I want to cause others to think and ponder things in life they may never have thought about or pondered before. I cling to my belief and faith in God stronger and more than ever in my life before, and I want to share that experience with others. I love to LAUGH MORE and laugh at myself, as well. I vow to have a lighter spirit, and not allow myself to "sweat the small stuff".

Have a blessed day!
    Lisa
  • mom_2_3
    mom_2_3 Member Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday
    Happy Birthday to you!!!

When first diagnosed I sat down and thought about what I would want to do with my life if I knew I only had a few months to spend. Would I go hang-gliding or parachuting? Maybe get that horse I have always wanted and ride everyday? Maybe take up the cello? Ultimately the answer that came to me was the only thing I would want to do is spend the time with my family (my husband and children, my sisters/brother/mother/in-laws). So, that's what I do...I spend time with them and I cherish every moment of it. As I get further along in my journey (and hopefully gain more time in my NED status) I would like to join Memorial Sloan's Patient Advocacy program and volunteer my time with them.
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

I have a B-day soon too
    Hi Nudgie,

Happy birthday!!!! I do hope you thoroughly enjoy your day!!!!!
    I, too, have a birthday just around the corner- I turn 43 on July 11th. I'll be on my vacation then, probably in the Big Apple on the actual day of my Bday.

What do I "do with life"? Well... although it's harder sometimes to be real cheery because I have numerous aches and pains to deal with as most of us do now, I "make myself" be more cheerful and positive by resolving that I want to have a positive impact on everyone around me now. I take the time to try to go out of my way more for others. I love seeing that I can sometimes cause smiles to appear on others. :) I want to cause others to think and ponder things in life they may never have thought about or pondered before. I cling to my belief and faith in God stronger and more than ever in my life before, and I want to share that experience with others. I love to LAUGH MORE and laugh at myself, as well. I vow to have a lighter spirit, and not allow myself to "sweat the small stuff".

Have a blessed day!
    Lisa

Me?
    Happy Birthday Nudgie! Hope it's a great one!

Life?

I've spent the past 27 years raising kids. I spent nine years working with disabled children in Florida. Spent 18 years with a useless partner.

Since I got my diagnosis on my birthday last year I've done a lot of thinking about where I am. Spent most of my life trying to make and keep everyone else happy. I have decided that this is MY year.

I am going to do my best to get out of this dead end job that I hate (although I need the insurance at this moment). I am going to marry the man of my dreams in October, and have the wedding I always wanted. I am then going to finish the paralegal degree and have the job I always wanted. I have decided, and just mailed out the check - to go to my 30th High School reunion in November - I have never been to one yet, and have recently found out that I had more friends than I thought, that I haven't seen in years. I have also decided to go to the Relay for Life, July 11th, and then volunteer some of my time to ACS. Thats a start. Life is too short to keep everyone else happy, this year, its all about me!
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options

Me?
    Happy Birthday Nudgie! Hope it's a great one!

Life?

I've spent the past 27 years raising kids. I spent nine years working with disabled children in Florida. Spent 18 years with a useless partner.

Since I got my diagnosis on my birthday last year I've done a lot of thinking about where I am. Spent most of my life trying to make and keep everyone else happy. I have decided that this is MY year.

I am going to do my best to get out of this dead end job that I hate (although I need the insurance at this moment). I am going to marry the man of my dreams in October, and have the wedding I always wanted. I am then going to finish the paralegal degree and have the job I always wanted. I have decided, and just mailed out the check - to go to my 30th High School reunion in November - I have never been to one yet, and have recently found out that I had more friends than I thought, that I haven't seen in years. I have also decided to go to the Relay for Life, July 11th, and then volunteer some of my time to ACS. Thats a start. Life is too short to keep everyone else happy, this year, its all about me!

to Daydreamer
    Daydreamer,

I just had to comment on what you wrote... GOOD FOR YOU!!! How exciting- you have many, many exciting things to live for and to accomplish. You go, girl!!!

Lisa
  • punch_vj
    punch_vj Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!
    Enjoy

Happy Birthday!!!

Enjoy yourself :) I try to help the people in my life, especially the kids I work with. I love my family and help in any way I can. I'm trying to take better care of my needs too. For example I'm attempting to complete my BS degree.
  • luv3jay
    luv3jay Member Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Nudgie!
    Here's hoping that you see many many more birthdays!
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    luv3jay said:

Happy Birthday Nudgie!
    Here's hoping that you see many many more birthdays!

Nudgie
    Happy birthday to you
    have a fun day

michelle
  • CanadaSue
    CanadaSue Member Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Nudgie
    Happy Birthday! I hope you have a great day!

Hugs,

Sue
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Happy Day!
    Happy Birthday!!! Hope it's been a fabulous day for you. You'll have to tell us what you did to celebrate!

As for me, I try to use my life to be a servant to others. About 6 1/2 years ago, my husband and I moved from Virginia to North Carolina, so I could take care of my newborn grandson. Now there are 2 more little ones! If I have made my happy family, my time on earth will have been well spent.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Happy Day!
    Happy Birthday!!! Hope it's been a fabulous day for you. You'll have to tell us what you did to celebrate!

As for me, I try to use my life to be a servant to others. About 6 1/2 years ago, my husband and I moved from Virginia to North Carolina, so I could take care of my newborn grandson. Now there are 2 more little ones! If I have made my happy family, my time on earth will have been well spent.

*hugs*
    Gail