Hi, I'm new here too

Options
jumperlady9
jumperlady9 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Had mastectomy 3 weeks ago. Get port next week. I have a lot of little meltdowns. Does everyone? What is atavin? Thanks.

Comments

• tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Hi Jumperlady.
    Welcome to the club that nobody wanted to join. Ativan is a sedative, lasts about 3 hours and very useful for panic attacks, anxiety and getting off to sleep. Quite addictive though so only take when you have to, (I treat myself to one every few nights LOL)
    Meltdowns, I don't know about everyone but they certainly got me. I am now on an antidepressant/anti anxiety drug, just for a while until my brain catches up with what has happened. Are you having the full monty?,,chemo rads etc?
    Keep us posted, whatever you go through you can guarantee someone in here will fully understand and be able to give you words of comfort and hope (and maybe a few cheats too).
    Healing Hugs to you............ Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Meltdowns and Then Some
    Hello, Jumperlady, I had a modified radical mastectomy in November and am now in chemo w/ radiation ahead. We here can all tell you that losing control of your emotions is very normal. Like Tasha, I take an antidepressent and anti-anxiety medicine. These help. You have found in this site and these amazing women an extraordinarly resource and comfort. I discovered them just in January and count them and this board as a lifeline and gift from God.

Keep in touch and don't hesitate to post any questions or concerns or just vent. Let us know how you are doing. I found that the anxiety prior to treatment starting was the worst. Just doing something--treatment--gave me a better sense of control. And, with each treatment, you learn each time more what to expect, which also helps with anxiety.
  • jumperlady9
    jumperlady9 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Meltdowns and Then Some
    Hello, Jumperlady, I had a modified radical mastectomy in November and am now in chemo w/ radiation ahead. We here can all tell you that losing control of your emotions is very normal. Like Tasha, I take an antidepressent and anti-anxiety medicine. These help. You have found in this site and these amazing women an extraordinarly resource and comfort. I discovered them just in January and count them and this board as a lifeline and gift from God.

Keep in touch and don't hesitate to post any questions or concerns or just vent. Let us know how you are doing. I found that the anxiety prior to treatment starting was the worst. Just doing something--treatment--gave me a better sense of control. And, with each treatment, you learn each time more what to expect, which also helps with anxiety.

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your help. You're right. I'm in the anxiety place prior to treatment.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options

Thanks
    Thank you so much for your help. You're right. I'm in the anxiety place prior to treatment.

Glad you found us jumperlady
    So glad you found us here. you won't have to be alone with your fears, questions, tears ,emotions or even anger at this beast we are all fighting. This is a truly wonderful support group of courageous sisters in pink. I have had so many questions big and small that i received answers and peace of mind.

I had a modified radical masectomy De. 2nd..i am on my 3rd round of chemo out of 6 and rads will follow. fear and anxiety i think is one of the worst things about this dreaded desease. I try to keep my mind active..or on something else such as movies, a good book or doing things i enjoy like cooking and baking....or i spend lots of time here. Ativan is a lifesaver for me in the evening so that i can get a restful sleep.

Please keep posting and let us know how every thing is going. I am praying that you and all my pink sisters have peaceful sweet dreams tonight.

God Bless
    Jackie
  • Joycelouise
    Joycelouise Member Posts: 482
    Options
    YOu can certainly count me
    YOu can certainly count me in as an occasionaly ativan user and a more than occasional meltdown. I sincerely think that the chemo messes with our brain chemicals a bit. Be very loving to yourself. We all wish we had gotten through treatment without a harsh word to our loved ones or without ever despairing, but when we tell ourselves that we did the best we could and remember to love ourselves it makes it easier. YOu can write us with any question or complaint. You will find there will also be times when you want to write with a triumph and we will understand the whole rainbow. Best wishes, love, Joyce
  • tasha_111
    Options

YOu can certainly count me in as an occasionaly ativan user and a more than occasional meltdown. I sincerely think that the chemo messes with our brain chemicals a bit. Be very loving to yourself. We all wish we had gotten through treatment without a harsh word to our loved ones or without ever despairing, but when we tell ourselves that we did the best we could and remember to love ourselves it makes it easier. YOu can write us with any question or complaint. You will find there will also be times when you want to write with a triumph and we will understand the whole rainbow. Best wishes, love, Joyce

If Only
    I really wish I had discovered this site before or during treatment, it would have made things a lot more tolerable, But I am delighted that I came across it after treatment rather than not at all..........You are all just such a great help. Luv Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • tasha_111
    Options

If Only
    I really wish I had discovered this site before or during treatment, it would have made things a lot more tolerable, But I am delighted that I came across it after treatment rather than not at all..........You are all just such a great help. Luv Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • chwoodall
    chwoodall Member Posts: 10
    Options
    i am new here, too. I'm
    i am new here, too. I'm coming up on my 1 year anniversary of being diagnosed and what a year it has been. I had my first mammogram at 41 and they found a 1.5 cm tumour in my left breast. I completely freaked out. I worked about 30 minutes from my home and those first few weeks I would cry all the way to work, and then home again. The car was the only place I could really let go. I didn't want my kids and husband to worry if I broke down. When my dr. called to check on me, I told her what was going on, they gave me an anti depressant and xanax for the physical anxiety symptoms I was having. It doesn't take the pain in your heart away, but it does help with the physical anxiety you are feeling. I ended up having a double mascectomy last June. I had a sentinal node pulled and it came back positive, so I had another surgery to pull the lymph nodes. Thankfully, I didn't have any further node involvement, but did have chemo. I have just this month been able to go without the xanax and not have the physical anxiety symptoms. I feel good about my decisions, but it's been a heck of a battle. All I can tell you is try to keep moving forward.....try to do things for you that make you feel good. I read alot of stories written by cancer survivors. I was obsessed with reading about how other women survived this...it helps to read other peoples stories and see how they made it through....good luck C
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Absolutely! and tons of
    Absolutely! and tons of them. I didn't know they were normal as I hadn't found this site yet.
    The news of having BC, the surgery, the tx, it can all leave one stunned. Good luck with your tx and come back often and let us know how you're doing. There's a wonderful group of ladies here (and guys) that will help you out every bit of the way.
    lots of hugs
    jan
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    meltdown
    I believe everyone has meltdowns, or at least I did (and do), too. You will see that this whole bc thing is a journey. I have gone thru so many stages: the first stage was terror, am I going to die? Then the next day was deciding if I should have a mastectomy or a lumpectomy and agonizing over this. It would take too long to list all the stages. Now I am in the stage of despair over hair which is not growing back like my older hair.

Yes, it is a journey, but we are in this fight together.

Write whenever you want.

Ohilly